A Different Kind of Penn Station (NYC) Question

I've searched the boards and haven't found what I'm looking for. So, I apologize in advance if this has already been asked.

2 years ago we took Amtrak to/from Baltimore and NYC for our NCL Dawn cruise. We're doing it again in a little over 2 weeks. Last time getting BACK to Penn Station after the cruise, the cab dropped us off at an entrance where there were no escalators or elevators down to the main level. So, DH, me, 2 kids all schlepped all our gear down the stairs. This time, 80-something In-Laws are going with us. Doing the stairs is not an option. What entrance of Penn Station has at least escalators if not elevators down to the main level from the street? I don't mean from the main level down to the trains/tracks, but from the street.

Thanks!:D

31 ST Street and 8th avenue....has an up escalator but I don't think a down its a very short stairway until the main floor. The in between entrance(that is between 31 and 33 between 7th and eight avenue has two(up and down) but the cabs must drop you mid block since they closed the entrance to motor vehicles (its under the buildings) so have them go down either 31 or 33 from 7th to 8th and have them drop you mid block(you'll see a big opening) and walk to the center and take the escalator down. There has to be an elevator for handicap use. I would try to find a website that has a diagram of Penn Station NY...

http://www.citidex.com/763.htm

This also shows escaltors on seventh Avenue at about 32nd street

Thanks Smeyer! Once again, you have proven yourself to be a wealth of information! Are you and Shoreguy related??? :D

I had searched the internet for a diagram and didn't see one. I knew my friends here at CC would be able to help me. Thanks for the info and the link.

Happy Sailing!!! :)

Interesting question!! I DON'T remember if there is a down escalator. I was so depressed from having to leave the ship (both times). But I DO know they have up escalators and I have a picture to prove it.

In response to your question though, if you ask the cab driver to drop you at a down escalator he may know where they are and drop you there if he can.

By the way, I do remember lugging luggage up and down to train level the first time. The second time I found the escalator on arrival and, I had a porter on the return trip and he turned the escalator ON ( yes, it was not operating) to handle our luggage.

Archived