Deadliest Catch Cruise?

tsd1

Anyone know of a cruise that goes to Dutch Harbor and/or St. Paul? I've been getting conflicting reports when I google to find out. One person in DH told me the Stanndam goes there, but I see nothing about it on the HA site.

We had a port call in Dutch Harbor, Aleutian Islands, on Sky Princess, way back in 4-97, on a repositioning from Osaka Japan to Vancouver BC.

I don't think Princess stops there any longer, now that they have much larger Grand class ships on that itinerary.

We ran out of some veggies and dairy products while en route (some prepositioned containers didn't make it to Osaka). Purser's staff and Chef's staff cleared out local food store while there.

It is really out of the way, but an interesting stop (pretty damned cold there).

According to cruisecal.com, the Statendam stopped in Dutch Harbor 5/13 on its way back from New Zealand (or somewhere down that way) but won't be back there the rest of the year. Spirit of Oceanus (Cruise West) stops in both ports in July, and then not again the rest of the year. No other ships are listed for either port the rest of this year. I didn't check any further than December.

We went there last May/2006 on a cruise from Osaka, Japan to Vancouver, BC on the STATENDAM. I'm not sure if they had this stop again this year. There is a similar cruise in April/2008 but the ship does not stop at Dutch Harbor as it did for our trip.

It was amazing for my wife and I, we could not get a taxi...maybe 3 on the island so we hitchhiked, and would you believe it the gentleman who stopped was a captain of one of the crab boats. He was a amzing man who was going to sell his boat to the fishing board. He explained that they were cutting the number of boats or lowering the limits they were allowed to catch. He decided to become a tour gide to my wife and I, we went all over the island, went to see his boat,and then had lunch with him. We spent the whole day with a stranger that was a ambassador for dutch harbour. Happy sailing Alsas

We were on the Statendam in may of 2006. It was amazing for my wife and I, we could not get a taxi...maybe 3 on the island so we hitchhiked, and would you believe it the gentleman who stopped was a captain of one of the crab boats. He was a amzing man who was going to sell his boat to the fishing board. He explained that they were cutting the number of boats or lowering the limits they were allowed to catch.He has since then informed us they paid him $3,000,000. He decided to become a tour gide to my wife and I, we went all over the island, went to see his boat,and then had lunch with him. We spent the whole day (6 hours ) with a stranger (not now ) that was a ambassador for dutch harbour. Happy sailing Alsas

I've read recently that a couple (maybe several?) of the Deadliest Catch captains are opening up their boats for tours at Ketchikan this summer. You might want to check the Alaska board for more information.

Kate

My brother is a commercial fisherman working out of Kodiak, spending much time in Dutch and the Pribiloff's.

They rarely get cruise ships in Kodiak (2 or three a year), almost never in Dutch Harbor. I suspect you will only find stops there during world cruises or similar unusual one time itineraries.

He (and his boat) is a former crabber, now netter, mostly fishing for Pollock, 114' long. His assistant captain used to crew on Maverick. He calls his cruise America's laziest catch... He thinks the show is all about show boating... He threw the crew off his boat, but it is as dangerous as shown, big seas, and ice on the deck and lines... They do really work 36 hours straight.

My daughter, son and I got to spend a few hours on board in Oregon a year ago when the boat was down for work. My son went out to sea with him overnight (not enough safety gear on board for more passengers)

Check out Cruise West. A great history there. They will send you a free DVD of their cruises, and it's great to watch! They go to several ports where the mega-ships don't venture.

I was going to mention that! Also...in addition to Dutch Harbor they sail to Russia too and end up in Nome (the finish line for the iditerod) on the same itenerary IIRC.

Archived