Ready for itinerary input (finally!) -- POH 7/9/07

CC Help Michell

• Administrators

Okay, CC regulars! I think I'm finally ready for some input/suggestions/comments/criticism on our tentative (tho' fully booked and refundable with advance notice) itinerary! All advice is welcome! Re: the ship, we have a portside balcony cabin on Deck 9.

7/7/07 -- Fly into HNL via Delta nonstop from Atlanta (booked thru NCL, that's why this cruise was such a good deal for us). Arrive at 2:00 -- rent car; check into hotel (Ilikai, through NCL); sightsee around HNL (especially Punchbowl) and visit Sam's Club for non-alcoholic drinks for ship, and beach mats (ABC stores for those if need be). I should note we are ready for jet lag -- will prepare a couple of days in advance so that we will sleep on plane, no matter what. Dinner at hotel with Entertainment coupon.

7/8/07 -- We know we'll be up early, we are from the east coast. Taking advantage of that, using rental car to visit Aloha Bowl swap meet (opens at 6 AM), then heading straight up central Oahu to North Shore, visiting birthing stones on the way. Stop at Hale'iwa for shave ice, and Kuhuku for meal from shrimp trucks. Sightsee at Turtle Bay (maybe also Turtle Beach from Revealed book), etc. Curve down east coast to H3 and head back to Waikiki. Stop at a "Mailboxes, Etc." type store and ship Swap Meet purchases home. 3:30 PM -- Be picked up for Paradise Cove luau, enjoy luau that night.

7/9/07 -- Leave hotel in rental car about 6:30 AM, head to Pearl Harbor and get tix. Visit Arizona Memorial, and time permitting, visit Missouri. Return rental car and shuttle to Pier 2. Board POH. Check into dinner reservations (posts varying if we can book whole week now, or 24 hours at a time). Muster Drill approx. 4:30; sailing at 8:00. Familiarize with ship, eat lunch, settle into cabin.

7/10/07 -- Hilo. Pick up rental car ASAP after docking (approx. 8:30 AM). In Hilo, take Banyan Drive, then head to Rainbow Falls and Boiling Pots. Go to VNP and do Crater Rim Drive with stops at Visitor Center, Thurston lava tube, Jagger Museum. Time permitting, visit Macadamia Nut factory and Akaka Falls, then return car and board ship. Kilauea viewing from ship after sailing.

7/11/07 -- Maui (Kahului) -- take Road to Hana excursion with Ekahi Tours. Return to ship to rest & relax.

7/12/07 -- Maui (Kahului) -- Take Sunrise Haleakala Bicycle tour booked via adventuremaui.com (OMG, at 2:45 AM!). 11:30 or so -- Return to ship (barring unexpected trip to emergency room!! <g>) and relax/rest/ visit pool on ship.

7/13/07 -- Kona -- Get earliest possible tender ticket and take Fair Wind II snorkel trip to Kealahekua Bay. Return around 1:30 PM and explore Kona docking area/shop/wander King Kam Hotel until tender back to ship.

7/14/07 -- Kauai (Nawiliwili) -- Debark shortly after we dock and pick up rental car. Drive to North shore of Kauai, visiting Wailua Falls, Kilauea Lighthouse, Hanalei, Hanea State Park -- maybe lunch at Princeville Resort. Return rental car that night.

7/15/07 -- Kauai (Nawiliwili) -- Take ship's excursion to Waimea Canyon (using ship here -- figuring with the early departure from Kauai better safe than sorry). Sail from Kauai, then Napali Coast cruising. Use Easyfly program for luggage.

7/16/07 -- Return to HNL. Early breakfast, then at 9:30 AM take Roberts tour of the SE Oahu highlights (Diamond Head, Hanauma, Pali, etc), then be dropped off at airport for flight back to ATL around 1:30 PM (3:30 flight).

I didn't specify it, but this agenda has a good bit of rest/pool/sun/read/nap in the room/veg on the balcony time built in (I hope! - I tried to do that!). Also not included are meal plans -- we are totally flexible with that, and any day where push comes to shove, we'll do grilled cheese from room service, or snag a bagel and lox from the breakfast buffet and stick it in the cooler for our driving adventures. I'd welcome input, and happy to answer questions!

Okay, CC regulars! I think I'm finally ready for some input/suggestions/comments/criticism on our tentative (tho' fully booked and refundable with advance notice) itinerary! All advice is welcome! Re: the ship, we have a portside balcony cabin on Deck 9.

7/7/07 -- Fly into HNL via Delta nonstop from Atlanta (booked thru NCL, that's why this cruise was such a good deal for us). Arrive at 2:00 -- rent car; check into hotel (Ilikai, through NCL); sightsee around HNL (especially Punchbowl) and visit Sam's Club for non-alcoholic drinks for ship, and beach mats (ABC stores for those if need be). I should note we are ready for jet lag -- will prepare a couple of days in advance so that we will sleep on plane, no matter what. Dinner at hotel with Entertainment coupon.

Hopefully you'll be awake enough to drive. I had a transfer booked through NCL from the airport to hotel, which was a good thing, since there was absolutely no way I was awake enough to drive!

7/8/07 -- We know we'll be up early, we are from the east coast.

It's hard to predict how you'll feel since everyone is different. I was awake relatively early the first morning, while my girlfriend was not; she remained on a night owl schedule the entire time.

7/9/07 -- Leave hotel in rental car about 6:30 AM, head to Pearl Harbor and get tix. Visit Arizona Memorial, and time permitting, visit Missouri. Return rental car and shuttle to Pier 2. Board POH. Check into dinner reservations (posts varying if we can book whole week now, or 24 hours at a time).

Since you're not in a suite, you can only book the current and next day (in this case, you can book Monday and Tuesday nights).

7/10/07 -- Hilo. Pick up rental car ASAP after docking (approx. 8:30 AM). In Hilo, take Banyan Drive, then head to Rainbow Falls and Boiling Pots. Go to VNP and do Crater Rim Drive with stops at Visitor Center, Thurston lava tube, Jagger Museum. Time permitting, visit Macadamia Nut factory and Akaka Falls, then return car and board ship. Kilauea viewing from ship after sailing.

On my cruise, I did the Hawaii Volcanoes Nature Deluxe tour, which I booked through NCL. I think that booking a tour with an expert is more informative than just driving on your own, and it eliminates the chance of missing the ship. But if you prefer renting a car for whatever reason, then you made a good choice.

7/11/07 -- Maui (Kahului) -- take Road to Hana excursion with Ekahi Tours. Return to ship to rest & relax.

Just out of curiosity: what advantage does that tour have over NCL? Since it's the first day, missing the ship is not an issue, so if that tour is better than NCL's tour, then you made a good choice. Is it refundable if your ship fails to dock or is late?

7/13/07 -- Kona -- Get earliest possible tender ticket and take Fair Wind II snorkel trip to Kealahekua Bay. Return around 1:30 PM and explore Kona docking area/shop/wander King Kam Hotel until tender back to ship.

I would prefer booking a snorkeling excursion through NCL (like I did), since there is no guarantee as to when you'll be able to get off the ship, since it is a tender port. And I've heard that Fair Wind is very unfriendly to cruise ship passengers. Even if tendering isn't a problem, Fair Wind is unlikely to cut you any slack if your ship is late, or if your ship fails to anchor. Or were you somehow able to get it refundable? If Fair Wind is what you are looking forward to, then it's probably your best option, just be aware that you are taking a risk.

I didn't specify it, but this agenda has a good bit of rest/pool/sun/read/nap in the room/veg on the balcony time built in (I hope! - I tried to do that!).

That is a good idea! :)

Sounds great! Hilo might be a bit of a challenge -- not sure if you can make it to all of those spots. I would think you'd do VNP first and then Rainbow Falls, as it is on the way to Akaka Falls, if you're set on doing both.

Your Kauai itinerary was the same as ours except that we didn't book the Waimea tour in time -- it was fully booked :(.

Oh well -- an excuse to go back ;)

Hi, In Honolulu, on the 9th you said drop the rental car off and shuttle back to pier 2. Are you using Thrifty and picking up the car at airport and returning to airport. That is what we have planned too. They do shuttle you back to the pier..right? There was some question about that on these boards, but the rental people did say they do..Just confirming with you I guess. :)

Thanks , Knarf (Frank backwards)

• Administrators
Hopefully you'll be awake enough to drive. I had a transfer booked through NCL from the airport to hotel, which was a good thing, since there was absolutely no way I was awake enough to drive!........

Just out of curiosity: what advantage does that tour have over NCL? Since it's the first day, missing the ship is not an issue, so if that tour is better than NCL's tour, then you made a good choice. Is it refundable if your ship fails to dock or is late?....

I would prefer booking a snorkeling excursion through NCL (like I did), since there is no guarantee as to when you'll be able to get off the ship, since it is a tender port. And I've heard that Fair Wind is very unfriendly to cruise ship passengers. Even if tendering isn't a problem, Fair Wind is unlikely to cut you any slack if your ship is late, or if your ship fails to anchor. Or were you somehow able to get it refundable? If Fair Wind is what you are looking forward to, then it's probably your best option, just be aware that you are taking a risk.

Thanks for the input, Mitsguy! The things we plan in HNL the first day (after the plane trip) are easy enough to put off until Day 2 if we are wiped out-- but with the non-stop flight, a 2 PM arrival should "feel like" 8 PM to us -- so hopefully with napping on the plane we'll be good for a few hours before bed time. :)

We are doing the Ekahi Tours Road to Hana for several reasons: it's a smaller vehicle than the ship uses, it stops more frequently, it has a chance to swim at 'O'heo, and it visits Lindbergh's grave.

On snorkeling, we do have Captain Zodiac booked through NCL for that day in Kona, as a backup -- and we've discussed this issue in another thread, but basically despite an initial preference for a ship tour in this tender port, after research we REALLY want to do Fair Wind, despite the risk. My phone call with them was perfectly pleasant (and they know we are on a cruise ship -- they just fully explained their cancellation/charge policy).

• Administrators
Sounds great! Hilo might be a bit of a challenge -- not sure if you can make it to all of those spots. I would think you'd do VNP first and then Rainbow Falls, as it is on the way to Akaka Falls, if you're set on doing both.

Your Kauai itinerary was the same as ours except that we didn't book the Waimea tour in time -- it was fully booked :(.

Oh well -- an excuse to go back ;)

Thanks PDAZ! Yes, on the Hilo day VNP is definitely our priority -- but the reason we're thinking of a quick diversion to Rainbow Falls first is that (from my research at least) it seems that if you'd like to catch a rainbow there, the morning is the best time. If we don't make it back from VNP in time to drive up to Akaka, that's okay -- it's a "time permitting" thing and if we don't get there, it's our excuse to go back! We booked Waimea Canyon by phone last week and got an email confirmation -- that was a priority booking for us for just the reason you mentioned -- we were afraid it would sell out.

• Administrators
Hi, In Honolulu, on the 9th you said drop the rental car off and shuttle back to pier 2. Are you using Thrifty and picking up the car at airport and returning to airport. That is what we have planned too. They do shuttle you back to the pier..right? There was some question about that on these boards, but the rental people did say they do..Just confirming with you I guess. :)

Thanks , Knarf (Frank backwards)

Actually we are currently holding two car reservations for HNL (my hard copy itinerary looks like a flow chart or decision tree, full of "if-then" :) ). One is at the airport with Thrifty from arrival on day one to departure for the ship (yes, they also told me their shuttle does run to the pier, and if not, we can shuttle to the airport and use our NCL airport-pier transfers).

However, we are leaning toward our other reservation -- with the city Alamo location (directly across the street from our pre-cruise hotel, the Ilikai). We can use our NCL transport vouchers to the hotel from the airport on arrival, check in -- walk across the street and pick up the car on day one. Then after Pearl Harbor on day three, we'd return the rental car, walk back across the street, check out of the hotel and take our NCL hotel-pier transfer. That plan has the advantage of us never having to wrestle with bags in and out of the rental car -- a convertible (who knows if I'll ever get back to Oahu?!). Whichever we decide, we'll cancel the other one at least a week before we fly.

• Administrators
I would also suggest going to VNP first, then come back toward town and if you have time go to Rainbow Falls and/or Akaka.

You and PDAZ are probably correct -- I think we will do it in that order -- maybe we'll get extra lucky (have Blue Chip with Thrifty for hopefully fast car rental) and can arrive ahead of the buses!

On snorkeling, we do have Captain Zodiac booked through NCL for that day in Kona, as a backup

But remember, you have to cancel an NCL excursion 24 hours in advance of scheduled arrival to port (some even earlier) or else you don't get a refund. And obviously you won't know 24 hours in advance whether or not you'll be able to make it in time to Fairwinds. So, how do you plan to get a refund on Captain Zodiac? Or are you just willing to lose the money that you spent on Captain Zodiac?

-- and we've discussed this issue in another thread, but basically despite an initial preference for a ship tour in this tender port, after research we REALLY want to do Fair Wind, despite the risk. My phone call with them was perfectly pleasant (and they know we are on a cruise ship -- they just fully explained their cancellation/charge policy).

Since it sounds like you really want to do Fair Wind, and you are aware of and willing to accept the risks, you're making the right decision. Just try to figure out what to do about your backup Captain Zodiac ressrvation?

• Administrators

Since it sounds like you really want to do Fair Wind, and you are aware of and willing to accept the risks, you're making the right decision. Just try to figure out what to do about your backup Captain Zodiac ressrvation?

Yes, that's the plan. Going to see how weather is going, look out for offshore storms that could affect tendering, etc. But I can't spend the whole trip worrying about it, either. :) So we'll make a call 24+ hours ahead of time, cancel whichever excursion seems advisable, and hope for the best!

RE: HILO--We had more than enough time to do your VNP plan 1st, Akaka falls, Rainbow falls, and a brief stop at the Farmer's Market which we passed on our way to the falls (I think it's only on Wednesdays). Plus, we got our rental around 9:30am. from Thrifty (blue chip, of course). We made sure we left VNP at around 1:30-2 to do all of the above.

• Administrators
RE: HILO--We had more than enough time to do your VNP plan 1st, Akaka falls, Rainbow falls, and a brief stop at the Farmer's Market which we passed on our way to the falls (I think it's only on Wednesdays). Plus, we got our rental around 9:30am. from Thrifty (blue chip, of course). We made sure we left VNP at around 1:30-2 to do all of the above.

(hoping this isn't a duplicate post; I'm having some board issues tonight)

Thanks for the input, and I appreciate your experience! I made a note on the Hilo day on our schedule to go visit Rainbow and Akaka falls only if we are back in Hilo by 2:00. That should be comfortable, time-wise, for rental car return and reboarding the ship. We'll spend as long at VNP as it takes to see the things we want to, since that's the priority. I'll be surprised if that's more than 4-5 hours, but you never know when something will unexpectedly grab you -- last summer we visited the Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago and wound up spending over an hour just at the meerkat exhibit!

Archived