Liquor/Wine in Vancouver?

joeysmom

Is there a place close to the dock or a duty-free shop at the port to purchase wine and/or liquor. Just want a bottle or two of wine to take aboard. How strict is RCCL about doing this? How about in Alaska. Can you buy 6 packs of the local beer and bring it back on board to keep in your room?

Also, flying from the states into Canada - can you buy duty free at the airport?

Sue

This is a question I would like an answer to, also. I would also like some recomendations for BC wines. We have several wine drinkers in our group and would like to take a few bottles onboard (Infinity) to have at dinner.

Thank you!

Kathy

Most BC Liquor stores are gov't run, but they have a good selection and staff know their stuff. There is a store in Harbour Centre which is a couple of blocks from Canada Place. But there is a specialty store on Thurlow St, and the staff there are great and they'll find something to suit your taste and budget. Here's the website. To locate Vancouver stores, select the 'Lower Mainland' region, includes maps and hours. There is lots of info on this site and you'll find recommendations for BC wine in the Spotlight section.

BC Liquor Stores

We shopped at a BC liquor store in Vancouver before our cruise last summer. They did not have the brand of wine/champage we were looking for so the clerk checked in their computer and told me the closes BC liquor store that had the wine/champagne we desired. Even with the extra trip the total cost of wine/champagne was less than on the Mercury. Especially the French champagne which was much cheaper in Canada than the US.

Grandma cruiser

RCI - Rhapsody of Sea Jan 2004

Celebrity - Mercury July 2003

HAL - Amsterdam Oct. 2002

RCCL - Rhapsody of Sea Nov. 1999

Crystal - Symphony Oct. 1998

RCCL - Feb 1998

Celebrity - Horizon Aug. 1997

Carnival - Tropicale 1994

NCL - 1990

Grouchy~~I can look at the map and still cant figure out my bearings in Vancouver till I get there..............is there a liquor store within walking distance of the Hyatt????

Hey,you could make good money,by picking up us tourists and driving us to the liquor stores........... icon_wink.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;5;30;15;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000 RCCL Serenade--5/30--Alaska

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;10;28;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 RCCL Jewel--10/28--repositioning

**RCCL SOS-8/27/04** Carnival Miracle-2/13/05**

>>I would also like some recomendations for BC wines.<<

BC has a lot of very fine small wineries in the Okanagan. I'm a big fan of Quail's Gate in particular - I've tried many of their wines and have yet to try one I didn't like.

Murray

Hi there, I've noticed the package store at Harbor Centre is closed on Sunday's. The good news is we arrive in Vancouver on Saturday and will still be able to shop prior to our departure on Infinity to Alaska for our "Summer Solstist Cruise". Winnie

Thanks for the info, I've located a liquor store pretty close to our hotel now. That is good news about the French Champagne, we'll have to take advantage of that.

We look forward to sampling the BC wines.

Thanks to all who replied!

Kathy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> ..............is there a liquor store within walking distance of the Hyatt???? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Parrothead, yes there is a liquor store at Thurlow and Alberni that is within easy walking distance of the Hyatt - about 3 blocks away (closer for you than the one at Harbour Centre).

Ell icon_smile.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;9;26;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Coral Princess - Trancanal on Sept 26, 2004

How easy is it to transport wine onto the Infinity? Is it worth the "cork charge"? I have heard they will store and serve your bottle of wine at dinner till it is empty, is that true? This is my first time on Infinity and I am really excited!!!

Janice countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;7;25;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800  till Infinity

Depend on the cruise line you on they have a rule about liquor, wine and pop.

Holland is not allowed all the above.

Princess is allowed pop, beer and wine, and it will be $10 cord charge at dinner. They will store and reserve until the wine is empty, no charge if you open it in your room.

As I think it is still better than purchare from them ($24 to $70), and you know the wine you like.

beverage,

I just found this info on celebrity:No alcoholic beverages may be purchased ashore for consumption onboard.

Onboard purchases from the gift shop of any bottle of liquor will be held until the last night of the cruise when it will be delivered to the stateroom.

Wines not bought from the onboard wine list will constitute a corkage fee. The corkage fee for the main and casual dining room is $12 per bottle

If they do not allow you to bring wine on board, how can there be a corkage fee?? I think I liked Roral Caribbeans' drink card better. Infinity wants $5.50 and up for a glass of wine.

Maybe they do not consider wine to be a alcholic beverage?

Janice countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;7;25;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800  till Infinity

I believe the "no alcoholic beverages" refers to hard liquor. I have brought wine on board the Millennium in Venice and the Infinity in San Diego. Did not try to hide it or smuggle. Sent it through the xray machine and all. Did not get even a second look and no one took it away from me. Had they tried, I would have said, it is for a "special occasion to be consumed in the room". Ended up, both times, taking it to the dining room and paying the corkage fee.

Until we set sail to Alaska on the Serenade of The Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;09;5;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

I have just found out from HAL that they will charge $10 the corkage fee at dining room. I think it is still better than paying $34. As far as I knew the Princess and HAL are allowed to bring the wine and champagne.

I have brought beer on board, and it is depend on the Xray machine personnel as the time.

Haifun

We have carried on board wine and champagne on our last cruises on RCCL, Celebrity and HAL.

Yes we paid corkage to enjoy our wine in the dinning room. On Rhapsody we took the 7 bottles to dinning room upon boarding and they kept them in the wine cellar. We just requested which one we wanted the night before.

That way we had great wines and knew they had been cellared correctly.

Grandma cruiser

RCI - Rhapsody of Sea Jan 2004

Celebrity - Mercury July 2003

HAL - Amsterdam Oct. 2002

RCCL - Rhapsody of Sea Nov. 1999

Crystal - Symphony Oct. 1998

RCCL - Feb 1998

Celebrity - Horizon Aug. 1997

Carnival - Tropicale 1994

NCL - 1990

Archived