A. Grandeur - Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Costa Maya

B. Navigator - Labadee, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, Cozumel

C. Splendour - Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, Belize, Cozumel

I have these questions:

-- Which ship is best for our family? I noticed Grandeur seems to cost

less than the other two - Is it because it is not as modern or has less

to offer?

-- I definitely want to do Grand Cayman and Cozumel. But I am

wondering about Labadee, Costa Maya, Ocho Rios and Belize - any port you would recommend or discourage?

-- For my family size, it seems the cabins are on Deck 2. Is this a good deck? What is the Entertainment Complex (is it a busy area)? Since there is no hump on this deck, what is the preferred location (I assume mid-ship is best, but if not available, would front or back be better? Right side or left side? Sorry, I know there are proper terms for these directions but I haven't found them yet).

If you have any other insights or tips you'd like to impart on any aspect of these ships, they are most welcome.

I really appreciate your help. Thanks in advance.

Pringle, THere are many personal considerations and many with more experience with your destinations.

My only input is as follows:

• We traveled on the Grandeur last September and will be traveling this October on Grandeur again. We loved it.
  • We were on the 3rd deck in front (left) and even in rough seas due to some distant hurricanes were fine.
  • We will be on second deck this time.
  • Our first cruise was on Enchantment OS, which is GOS' sister ship. Then we were on 7th deck with a balcony. We loved the room and the balcony, but have decided that the amount of time we spend in the cabin and the activities while there, did not warrant (for us) the extra fare.

We love cruising and I bet you will too. Good luck.

As far as a ship, my choice would be the Navigator. I have been on both the Grandeur and the Navigator. The Navigator will offer more as far as activities. The Navigator will have the largest childrens area, called Adventure Ocean. It also has miniature golf, inline skaying and ice skating. Not to mention the Royal Promenade.

As far as the Grandeur being cheaper, that is because the ship is a little older and quite a bit smaller. Don't get me wrong, the Grandeur is still a great ship, but if I had the choice I would choose the Navigator.

The other thing that attracts me to the Navigator is the itinerary. We love Labadee. The island is beautiful and it is very relaxing to spend the day on the beach and have the food provided by RCCL. Grand Cayman is another favorite of ours. We swam with the Stingrays in Grand Cayman. It was an awesome experience. My daughter was 5 yo. and my son was 8 yo. at the time and they loved it too.

Can you get a decent fare on Navigator? Nov/Dec isn't that far off. I really liked Voyager so I decided to book Navigator for October, basically the same ship but with an even bigger kids club. I think once you've been on the big ship, it's hard to consider the smaller ones, though they may be perfectly nice.

We sailed on the Voyager western int. in 2002 and loved it! Once you have been on the eagle class ships the rest seem tiny. Loved the ports. Labadee -great swimming and BBQ lunch, Georgetown Grand Cayman - swim with the sting rays prebooked captain Marvin's had a great time, Ocho Rios Jamaica - spent the day at Couples all inclusive resort loved this port the best, Coszmel - don't bother to go to town especially not for children go to Chancanab park for snorkling & swimming and shopping is best right on the duty free pier when you get off the ship. Going western on the Navigator in September to do all the things we missed on the Voyager. Have fun!

Been on all three.

Recommend the Navigator it has all three ports of call you wanted plus Ocho Rios which is OK but not that good.

The Navaigator is a Voyager class ship and has much more on board option which the Royal Promenade, Ice skating etc.

The 4-year old will be fine on any of the ship.

Can you get a decent fare on Navigator? Nov/Dec isn't that far off. I really liked Voyager so I decided to book Navigator for October, basically the same ship but with an even bigger kids club. I think once you've been on the big ship, it's hard to consider the smaller ones, though they may be perfectly nice.
To be honest, I don't know what a decent fare is. All I know is that the Dec 11th Navigator Western sailing is one of the lowest priced sailings (which is why I am choosing it).

From comparing prices between RCL's site, an online TA (whose Ex Dir responded today regarding the price policy change) and Travelocity all the prices seem very similar. RCL's price for our party of 3 on F (Larger Ocean View) is $2,197 and the others are just a little less (about $100-$150 lower).

Are these prices considered reasonable for this ship/itin?

Now the only dilemma is this darn price policy change thing. I need a few more days to solidify our plans, but it sounds like RCL prices will be higher as of Monday.

:rolleyes: Pringle I just booked a cruise for a friend and I for June 4th 2005 and it was $1754 for two of us. Oh and this is an inside cabin on Deck 8 (N) so I think you got a really good price. Of couse it is so much more in June compared to Nov and Dec. But I will say this you better book it cause I think the prices will go up. Good luck and have fun on your cruise.:p

Don't choose the Navigator just because it's bigger and newer. I'd recommend the Grandeur for your first cruise. It's still a huge ship with plenty of activities. Because it's a little smaller I also think the Grandeur offers a more at sea feeling with great views throughout the ship. The Navigator has more of an enclosed feeling. Looking at the ports of call you get three sea days on the Grandeur and 2 on the Navigator. Go with the extra sea day to enjoy the cruise feeling. It's wonderful!

Archived