Info on transfer from NY hotel to NYC Pier

We are doing a NCL pre-cruise 3 night stay in New York before our Dawn cruise. Does anybody know what time NCL transfers it's passengers to the Port. Have searched the threads, but most people seem to make their own way there and arrive around 10/11am, so I'm hoping were not too much later than that, to avoid getting stuck at the end of long lines.

Thanks in advance

Hello Cruisers,

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Midtown which is one of the NCL Pre-Hotels.

The transfer is usually around 12.45 - NCL normally sends a fax for you to the hotel, but you have to ask for it at the reception otherwise you might not get it.;)

The other cruisers who stayed at the Helmsley had their transfer at 12.00.

From the Holiday Inn it's just 15 minutes to the pier. Son don't worry and enjoy your cruise... everything is going to be fine.

BYe-bye

Hello Cruisers,

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Midtown which is one of the NCL Pre-Hotels.

The transfer is usually around 12.45 - NCL normally sends a fax for you to the hotel, but you have to ask for it at the reception otherwise you might not get it.;)

The other cruisers who stayed at the Helmsley had their transfer at 12.00.

From the Holiday Inn it's just 15 minutes to the pier. Son don't worry and enjoy your cruise... everything is going to be fine.

BYe-bye

Thanks for the info. We have been told were staying at the Helmsley, is that far from the pier ?

Hello again!

The Helmsley is near fifth avenue so it's a great pre-hotel because you can walk to all the interesting places - it's also not far from the pier but the usual traffic jams in Manhattan always make it difficult for the transfer buses, so it can take 45 minutes for just a short distance.

I guess you'll be at the pier at 1 p.m. and then you'll have to queue for an hour until you can embark the ship. Luckily your luggage is taken away from you when you leave the transfer bus so you don't have to worry about that.

Enjoy your cruise

My advice (for wht it's worth) would be to forgo the transfers and take yourself to the pier. It's just a short drive, the cab fare is minimal, and you don't then have to sit and wait on the bus while the bags are unloaded, and then get in line with the large group of people you just rode in with.

Unless you are just "dying" to get on board early I recommend waiting till after 1:30 when the intial crowd has moved through - then it's a much more leisurely process to board. Certainly, that's what we'll do in September. Hell, I'll be eatring that buffet food for a week and NY has all those great delis on 7th Ave (I prefer Ben Ash or Stage), so lunch on shore is a good thing.

My advice (for wht it's worth) would be to forgo the transfers and take yourself to the pier. It's just a short drive, the cab fare is minimal, and you don't then have to sit and wait on the bus while the bags are unloaded, and then get in line with the large group of people you just rode in with.

Unless you are just "dying" to get on board early I recommend waiting till after 1:30 when the intial crowd has moved through - then it's a much more leisurely process to board. Certainly, that's what we'll do in September. Hell, I'll be eatring that buffet food for a week and NY has all those great delis on 7th Ave (I prefer Ben Ash or Stage), so lunch on shore is a good thing.

Thanks Hobbsey

Sounds like a good idea to me !!

Since you have transfers anyway I bet the ship will still take your bags for you even if you skip the bus and take a cab.

Perhaps others here will know, does NCL take your bags on the transfer bus and have them taken immeidately aboard ship, or do you have to handle them again at the pier? If the former, think of how wonderful it will be to continue your NYC expereince without having to worry about the luggage at the pier.

Which Helmsley is NCL using?

Of course, another thing you can do is go to the ship even earlier (say 11 am) drop the bags with a porter and then leave the pier area without checking in, etc... Have a great time in Times Sqare area, and then board in mid afternoon when there are no lines. Times Square is just 6 or 7 blocks from the pier.

Mmmmm...Ben Ash. Since Second Avenue Deli closed down (boo hoo), it's our favorite.

Not sure which Helmsley it is, but a previous poster said it was near 5th Ave. Does anyone know which one this is (I didn't realise there was more than one) and if this Helmsley is good ? does it have the wow factor ??

Also, you've told me about the good deli's for lunch, but do you have any recommendations for a good evening meal (possibly incorporating some entertainment):confused:

Since you have transfers anyway I bet the ship will still take your bags for you even if you skip the bus and take a cab.

Perhaps others here will know, does NCL take your bags on the transfer bus and have them taken immeidately aboard ship, or do you have to handle them again at the pier? If the former, think of how wonderful it will be to continue your NYC expereince without having to worry about the luggage at the pier.

Which Helmsley is NCL using?

Of course, another thing you can do is go to the ship even earlier (say 11 am) drop the bags with a porter and then leave the pier area without checking in, etc... Have a great time in Times Sqare area, and then board in mid afternoon when there are no lines. Times Square is just 6 or 7 blocks from the pier.

I see you are going on the Crown Sept 16th out of NY. We were on the Holland Maasdam with you I think in 2004. It was the cruise with the guy who wears the slippers. Our friends that went with us then are joining us on the Spirit Sept 16 out of NY. We are going in a couple of days early and staying at the Grand Hyatt, got a good AAA rate! Hope to see you in NY and wave as our ships set sail in different directions!

Certainly I remember you - and those slippers.

This is our first cruise since that one. We too are flying into NY early, staying at the Crowne Plaza in Times Square. One of the perks at work is keeping all my points so first class flights and two nights in the city are on the house (well except for meals and cabs). Becky and I had our 50th b'days recently so this is our vacation present to ourselves.

Not even going to participate (much less organize) a CC group on this one. I love this ship, we have a suite, and we are going to enjoy our down time.

Unfortunately I don't get to NYC as often as I used to (which is about to change - again) so not as up on the ever changing night time dining scene.

Our favorite is a place on 7th near 57th (right across from Carnegie Hall) called Trattoria Del Arte. The food is very good, the service is amazingly good, and it's usually pretty fun in there. No entertainment though. Most of the waiters are "actors".

I fell in love with the place when we went in for an early dinner, having tickets for Death of a Salesman. We sat down and told the waiter what show we had to make. We were never rushed, paid the bill, walked 6 or 7 blocks to the theater, sat in our seats, took two breaths, and the curtain went up. Now that is some good service.

If you go let the waiter bring you a sampler plate from the fresh antipasto bar. If you like veal, the veal chop parm. is amazing (pounded nearly paper thin).

OK, we're headed to NYC the day before our cruise and I'm dying for a Grey's Papaya hot dog. We're staying at the Holiday in on West 57th street. We'll be arriving at about 11:00 a.m. the day before we cruise. And, we want to hit the Empire State Building that afternoon. How difficult is it to find Grey's Papaya before-hand and then get to Empire State Building?

Thanks!

We are doing a NCL pre-cruise 3 night stay in New York before our Dawn cruise. Does anybody know what time NCL transfers it's passengers to the Port. Have searched the threads, but most people seem to make their own way there and arrive around 10/11am, so I'm hoping were not too much later than that, to avoid getting stuck at the end of long lines.

Thanks in advance

We have sailed with NCL from NYC twice, both time we had the 3 day pre cruise included, and flew from Manchester on flight BA1503.

We had a great time in New York, stayed at the New York Helmsley on 42nd Street the first time (2005) and at the Crowne Plaza at the United Nations (2006) on 42nd Street. The two hotels are a block apart on 2nd and 3rd Avenue. the two hotels are both very good, although for many reasons, I preferred the Crowne Plaza. The locations of both hotels are really good although you will tire of making the walk from the Times Square area back to the hotel after about the tenth time, otherwise brill.

The Helmesley has complimentary coffee in the lobby in the morning which is a good way to start those jet lagged early mornings while you work out what to do. Don't bother withe hotel breakfast except for your last morning. Outside the Helmsley is a Pax diner where you can get a breakfast at a fraction of the price. Typically of a big city, there are loads of other early morning dining options that avoid the need to eat in a hotel dining room at 18 dollars a head plus coffee plus gratuity.........

now to the transfers..........

This was one area, which if they were not included in the package i would say forget it.

When you are met at JFK, it depends on how many NCL passengers there are, but you may well be put on a fill up shuttle and do the rounds of New York, a novelty for the first time, but it may not be what you are used to.

Transfer to the Pier......... It's not far, if you want to arrive early, at a time when YOU determine, get a cab or a car service via the concierge service. It won't cost much extra. There are often parades in NYC which cause chaos for cross town traffic. We were delayed both times. On the first occasion we were very late in being picked up, but then got through check in very quickly as everyone else was on board. The next time, a Canada New England cruise had loads of Brits on the transfer which picked up on time, took ages because of a bike parade then we queued for about an hour in the none US queue.

Take a cab and arrive when you want.

Also, post cruise, the transfer to the day room was on a coach fill up basis, then the rooms at the Holiday Inn JFK weren't ready. BTW they have a nice bar with good bar meals and a indoor pool as well. You will probably have to take the hotel's airport shuttle at either three or four.

Complimentary WiFi in the rooms too. Nice opportunity to take a soak in the bath before the plane

We enjoyed our holidays but the transfers were the weak area

You will have a great trip, enjoy NYC, it really is awesome

Tony

OK, we're headed to NYC the day before our cruise and I'm dying for a Grey's Papaya hot dog. We're staying at the Holiday in on West 57th street. We'll be arriving at about 11:00 a.m. the day before we cruise. And, we want to hit the Empire State Building that afternoon. How difficult is it to find Grey's Papaya before-hand and then get to Empire State Building?

Thanks!

The best Grey's is at 8th street and 6th avenue.....take the A or C train at 59th street and eight avenue south to west 4th street its right there. To get to the empire State Building from there take the F, D, B or V train North to 34th street....and its right there(34 between 5th and 6th avenue...) all of these stop at west 4th street....

Some great suggestions and comments on this thread! I have heard it is hard getting a taxi after the cruise to the airport. Any suggestions on a timely way to get back to LGA, our plane leaves at 1:50 p.m.

By the way Hobbsey and Becky happy birthday! My husband and I celebrated our 60th last year with a cruise on the Celebrity Mercury!!

WOW, 60? I guess if you guys are 60 then 50 is the new 30. I really like those "old" Century class Celebrity ships. Se were on Mercury a few years ago and really enjoyed her. We were on Century for our honeymoon and enjoyed her even more.

The best way to get out of the pier and to the airport would be to book a car service. It's pricy but it's very convient and timely. The next best way, and the cheapest, is to just let the ship take you. I am considering both options. Our flight is at noon so we are going to be rushing. Luckily we have a suite so we'll be getting off first.

We were going this direction. Yes we thought about the car service but might go with the ship's transfers. I'll never forget our last cruise when you took the taxi and beat us to the airport for less $'s. Getting there in a timely fashion is the most important. We have a 3rd couple with their adult daughter going also so don't want any problems. I'll never forget the snorkeling ro St. John when our friend dove in to get his hat.....what fun. Jeff, how's your dad doing? He was a great guy and a lot of fun.

Certainly I remember you - and those slippers.

This is our first cruise since that one. We too are flying into NY early, staying at the Crowne Plaza in Times Square. One of the perks at work is keeping all my points so first class flights and two nights in the city are on the house (well except for meals and cabs). Becky and I had our 50th b'days recently so this is our vacation present to ourselves.

Not even going to participate (much less organize) a CC group on this one. I love this ship, we have a suite, and we are going to enjoy our down time.

crowne plaza,very nice. has anyone heard anything good or not good about the rennaissance in times square and service to the pier from there,also is later in afternoon better for skipping lines? thanks in advance.

Tony - Thanks for all the great info. It's great to get a fellow Mancunians view on these things. Can't wait to get there:D !!!!!!!

We have sailed with NCL from NYC twice, both time we had the 3 day pre cruise included, and flew from Manchester on flight BA1503.

We had a great time in New York, stayed at the New York Helmsley on 42nd Street the first time (2005) and at the Crowne Plaza at the United Nations (2006) on 42nd Street. The two hotels are a block apart on 2nd and 3rd Avenue. the two hotels are both very good, although for many reasons, I preferred the Crowne Plaza. The locations of both hotels are really good although you will tire of making the walk from the Times Square area back to the hotel after about the tenth time, otherwise brill.

The Helmesley has complimentary coffee in the lobby in the morning which is a good way to start those jet lagged early mornings while you work out what to do. Don't bother withe hotel breakfast except for your last morning. Outside the Helmsley is a Pax diner where you can get a breakfast at a fraction of the price. Typically of a big city, there are loads of other early morning dining options that avoid the need to eat in a hotel dining room at 18 dollars a head plus coffee plus gratuity.........

now to the transfers..........

This was one area, which if they were not included in the package i would say forget it.

When you are met at JFK, it depends on how many NCL passengers there are, but you may well be put on a fill up shuttle and do the rounds of New York, a novelty for the first time, but it may not be what you are used to.

Transfer to the Pier......... It's not far, if you want to arrive early, at a time when YOU determine, get a cab or a car service via the concierge service. It won't cost much extra. There are often parades in NYC which cause chaos for cross town traffic. We were delayed both times. On the first occasion we were very late in being picked up, but then got through check in very quickly as everyone else was on board. The next time, a Canada New England cruise had loads of Brits on the transfer which picked up on time, took ages because of a bike parade then we queued for about an hour in the none US queue.

Take a cab and arrive when you want.

Also, post cruise, the transfer to the day room was on a coach fill up basis, then the rooms at the Holiday Inn JFK weren't ready. BTW they have a nice bar with good bar meals and a indoor pool as well. You will probably have to take the hotel's airport shuttle at either three or four.

Complimentary WiFi in the rooms too. Nice opportunity to take a soak in the bath before the plane

We enjoyed our holidays but the transfers were the weak area

You will have a great trip, enjoy NYC, it really is awesome

Tony

The best Grey's is at 8th street and 6th avenue.....take the A or C train at 59th street and eight avenue south to west 4th street its right there. To get to the empire State Building from there take the F, D, B or V train North to 34th street....and its right there(34 between 5th and 6th avenue...) all of these stop at west 4th street....

As usual, Smeyer, you're a wealth of information! Actually, we're traveling with my 80+ year-old in-laws so we probably won't do the train. As long as I have the intersection, we'll take cabs. How bad is mid-day traffic on a Friday? Should we go to the Empire State Building first and then Grey's for dinner? Or, Grey's for lunch then Empire and a nice Italian restaurant for dinner somewhere near the hotel? EEK!! too many choices and not enough time to make them! We leave for NYC in 9 days!

As usual, Smeyer, you're a wealth of information! Actually, we're traveling with my 80+ year-old in-laws so we probably won't do the train. As long as I have the intersection, we'll take cabs. How bad is mid-day traffic on a Friday? Should we go to the Empire State Building first and then Grey's for dinner? Or, Grey's for lunch then Empire and a nice Italian restaurant for dinner somewhere near the hotel? EEK!! too many choices and not enough time to make them! We leave for NYC in 9 days!

LOL grey's isn't a sit down. Its a stand up corner store. Its a quick lunch at $2.00 for 2 hot dogs and a drink... The Taxi ride shouldn't be too bad once you are south of 34th street.

Hi

I don't know too much at that hotel in particular but can tell you that all of the hotels down there are pretty busy, but of the ones I have stayed in the rooms are pretty quiet. I really like this Crown Plaza because the rooms are a bit over sized (for Manhattan) and it's perched on the west side of the street which means an easier get-away to the pier. Any location east of 7th and Broadway offers a harder time getting across town to the ship.

I really love that Crowne Plaza at the UN the most. It's so quiet over there, the rooms are older and very interesting and the service is good.

I always recommend arriving at the ship in the mid afternoon (1:30 to 2:30) so that the enthusiastic early birds can get on board and free up the check in process.

LOL grey's isn't a sit down. Its a stand up corner store. Its a quick lunch at $2.00 for 2 hot dogs and a drink... The Taxi ride shouldn't be too bad once you are south of 34th street.

Oh, that I knew! I was trying to decide if we should have a sit-down for lunch and quick bite of hot dogs for dinner or the opposite. I think once we check in and drop our bags at the hotel we'll grab a cab and head straight for Grey's for a quick bite. And, then head over to Empire State and then dinner. Any restaurant recommendations near the Holiday Inn??

Archived