Info on transfer from NY hotel to NYC Pier

2Cruise, That Holiday Inn is probably the easiest location from which to reach the ship.

If you saw my post about Tratoria Del Arte then know that it is very close to the Holiday Inn just south of 57th on 7th Ave.. Most of your best dining options will be down 7th and on some of the side streets running between 7th and 8th. There are some good restaurants east on 57th as well.

Thanks Hobbsey. We're actually taking a limo from the hotel to the pier by way of a tour of Manhattan :D As I mentioned, my in-laws are traveling with us and this is probably going to be their last big "Hoo-Rah" vacation. So, we decided to surprise them with a limo. But, being that it's only blocks to the pier, we've asked the driver to give us a tour of the city (stopping for breakfast along the way somewhere). We're very excited. They have not clue.... ;)

Thanks Hobbsey. We're actually taking a limo from the hotel to the pier by way of a tour of Manhattan :D As I mentioned, my in-laws are traveling with us and this is probably going to be their last big "Hoo-Rah" vacation. So, we decided to surprise them with a limo. But, being that it's only blocks to the pier, we've asked the driver to give us a tour of the city (stopping for breakfast along the way somewhere). We're very excited. They have not clue.... ;)

May I ask what limo service you hired please?

We are arriving Penn Station and need transportation for FIVE plus six pieces of luggage to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. Any suggestions on how to get us all there at one time??? Subway? Bus? We really don't want to get separated by taking two cabs because we have children.

Ciship,

You'd rather take a bus, with kids and luggage in tow, than to split up into two cabs and meet at the pier? I can understand worring about the cost factor but it's your vacation.

There is no subway. There may be some kind of bus that will get you close.

I'd recommend hiring a limo if you are worried about being separated. But seriously, it not a very far ride to the pier and the first ones to arrive need only stand at the curb and wait for the second cab to pull up.

Ciship,

You'd rather take a bus, with kids and luggage in tow, than to split up into two cabs and meet at the pier? I can understand worring about the cost factor but it's your vacation.

There is no subway. There may be some kind of bus that will get you close.

I'd recommend hiring a limo if you are worried about being separated. But seriously, it not a very far ride to the pier and the first ones to arrive need only stand at the curb and wait for the second cab to pull up.

The reason I decided against two cabs was because I heard that it was a cab nightmare getting to the pier and that there was no way two cabs would be able to stay together in that mess. If you are saying that this "could" be possible,...and that both cabs can "find" each other somehow, maybe we will try and shoot for it.

Think about a busy airport, that's the kind of scene you are looking at. The cabs come in and drop passengers at the curb and then have to go around and line up for pick ups. The biggest problem is in the morning when everyone is coming off the ship and wants a cab to go to the airport, all at the same time.

Certainly, it'll be madness at the drop off point too, especially earlier when there may still be folks coming off the previous cruise. If you are timed to arrive in the afternoon then it'll be less mad. I still doubt that two cabs would arrive at the drop off very far apart, in time or distance, as long as it takes you to the right ship.

I think that your bigger problem will be at debark.

Of course, there are min-van cabs. Maybe you can wait for one? I see them at the airport but I'm not sure how prevelant they are in the city and at the pier.

If you don't mind the expense then a limo is the best bet. I really do think that you'll have a hard time finding a bus route but I am no experience with that.

Are you coming in on AmTrak? Does NCL provide a transfer service? They certainly turmpet there connection services in the fleet brochure.

Yes, we're coming in on Amtrak and we "should" arrive around 10 a.m.

I really appreciate your advice. I think we will just put four of us in one cab and then have my husband and ALL the luggage travel in a second cab. We have our cell phones, so we should be able to stay "connected" and find each other. We are going on Carnival Miracle and they only offer transfers from the airport according to Carnival.

Thanks again!

http://www.nyc.gov/tlc has the official rules for the number of people in a cab 5 is ok if one of the children is under 12 and in the back seat(one person sits next to the driver. Most cabs are chevys and a lot are now minivans which will have no trouble with 4 plus one plus a lot of luggage plus a stroller but 6 pieces is probably pushing it send the kids and you in one cab and the dad with the luggage in the other and you will get to the same place within a few minutes do not try follow that cab its a good way to get into an accident. You will be at the same pl;ace within minutes of one another.

http://www.nyc.gov/tlc has the official rules for the number of people in a cab 5 is ok if one of the children is under 12 and in the back seat(one person sits next to the driver. Most cabs are chevys and a lot are now minivans which will have no trouble with 4 plus one plus a lot of luggage plus a stroller but 6 pieces is probably pushing it send the kids and you in one cab and the dad with the luggage in the other and you will get to the same place within a few minutes do not try follow that cab its a good way to get into an accident. You will be at the same pl;ace within minutes of one another.

Yes, I guess this is our best bet. I've written down before smeyer418 that you suggest having the taxi drop you off across from the terminal and merely walk across the street to the uptown side of 12th avenue or walk east to 11th avenue. Is this a good spot for us to all join together? Is there a place to stand here away from the crowds while we wait?

Yes, I guess this is our best bet. I've written down before smeyer418 that you suggest having the taxi drop you off across from the terminal and merely walk across the street to the uptown side of 12th avenue or walk east to 11th avenue. Is this a good spot for us to all join together? Is there a place to stand here away from the crowds while we wait?

With your group I would NOT suggest doing that. You would then have to get three kids across the large street. Have the cabs take you up to the piers and you will be dropped in front of where your ships is leaving from there will be places to wait there that are better than across 12th avenue. Lately with less ships at the Manhattan terminal its been less bad. They no longer have 5-6 ships on one day. One pier finger(out of three) is closed for renovation so you rarely see even three there on one day.

With your group I would NOT suggest doing that. You would then have to get three kids across the large street. Have the cabs take you up to the piers and you will be dropped in front of where your ships is leaving from there will be places to wait there that are better than across 12th avenue. Lately with less ships at the Manhattan terminal its been less bad. They no longer have 5-6 ships on one day. One pier finger(out of three) is closed for renovation so you rarely see even three there on one day.

Oh ok......good thing I brought that up. I'll scratch that from my notes. Thanks again for all your help!

Hi

I really love that Crowne Plaza at the UN the most. It's so quiet over there, the rooms are older and very interesting and the service is good.

The CP at the UN was being refurbed when we were there last year. (Public Areas, hotel rooms seemed to have been done already)

Should look really nice now.

I really like the rooms and the Bar area. prices ok and the bar meals were good value.

The bedding was awesome, they had those foam matresses and pillows that conform to your shape, really comfy.

Free Wi-Fi in the lobby/ bar, $15 in the room.

I agree, it's nice and quiet over there and the views from the room were different, Tudor style apartments

Well, it's no longer a Crown Plaza - the one at the UN. It's now called simply Hotel Tudor. I'll be in NYC tomorrow and then again Sunday thru Tuesday morning. I'll see if I can get over there and see how things are.

We'll be staying at the CP, Times Square next September for our pre-cruise. Completely different style of hotel but the rooms are nice, and big for NYC standards.

Archived