Ages for Snorkel

wenpop

My son will be 7.5 when we sail,,, Most of the snorkel excursions say you have to be 8... Are they strict with this or are there ones that will except him on the excursion... He has been swimming since he was 3 and loves the water. Or should I find one that is private that is not from the cruise ship?

thanks for the help!

Also last question.... Which is the best westeren port to snorkel??

Or should I find one that is private that is not from the cruise ship?
Yes, definitely.

Also last question.... Which is the best westeren port to snorkel??
Which islands are on your itinerary?

Grand Cayman is a good choice for free snorkeling from shore. It is an easy walk to the Eden Rock site. There are two nearby dive shops for your rental needs.

edenrockmap.jpg

Cozumel is also good, but there you'd want to snorkel from a boat to see the better stuff. http://www.eagleraydivers.com offers snorkeling as does The "Mystic" Snorkeling Tour

I wouldn't waste my time snorkeling in Jamaica, but then I wouldn't go on a cruise that stopped there either.

I will be on the western cruise on the Carnival Glory.... Costa Maya, Belize, Cozumel, and the Bahamas....... Which would be the best one to snorkel?
I mentioned Grand Cayman because it is often a stop on Western cruises. It would have been my first choice.

Cozumel would be my second choice as it is very easy to do on your own.

Belize has potential for good snorkeling, but I don't know about private tours there. Check the Belize section.

Costa Maya is a great play-on-a-sandy-beach day. Take a taxi to the small fishing town Mahahual.

At your son's age, you might consider getting a snorkeling vest, mask and snorkel for him that fits (salt water is hard on young eyes and taste buds if the snorkeling equipment does not fit - rental equipment may not). Cozumel is good, but HAL/Carnival's Half Moon Cay would be the best spot for a kiddo that age to start. Cozumel would be OK.

My son will be 7.5 when we sail,,, Most of the snorkel excursions say you have to be 8... Are they strict with this or are there ones that will except him on the excursion... He has been swimming since he was 3 and loves the water. Or should I find one that is private that is not from the cruise ship?

thanks for the help!

Also last question.... Which is the best western port to snorkel??

I just recently spent a week on the island of St. John and spent a lot of time at Trunk Bay that week. I saw a few children there that week and as it went, if they could walk, they snorkeled, but of course, with guidance. I agree with the previous poster, it is very important that you have good fitting snorkel equipment for your little one, the salt water is a killer on the eyes. He or she will give up real quick if that happens. I would suggest purchasing equipment for him or her before you go on your cruise and try it out in a pool at home. This will save a lot of time finding the right fit and getting comfortable with the technique before you go, since time is usually limited in port.

Archived