I Need A Good Book To Read On My Trip

mahreeya

The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue on Kidd

Life of Pi by Yann Martel

Modoc the True Story of the Greatest Elephant that Ever Lived by Ralph Helpher

The last two listed here take place on boats, are different and truly enjoyable for a light read.

For anyone from the Boston area, I also would like to add

All Souls by Michael Patrick MacDonald, a humurous look at growing up in the projects of South Boston (Southie). If you remember the days of bussing, you'll really enjoy this non-fiction story.

Hayley is precious! MY babies are Candee (the toy poodle) and Taffy (a mini). Aren't they just the BEST little babies???

As far as book recommendations, I like Debbie Macomber, Jennifer Crusie, and Janet Evanovich for light, happy reads.

I'm always looking for great reads that put me in a good mood. I don't like heavy and/or depressing books. I'm a court reporter and hear enough bad/sad stuff all day long. I like to escape into a HAPPY book.

Lynn

• 3 weeks later...

The Pact by Jodi Picoult was very very good. The DaVinci Code was a real page turner. Currently reading Angels and Demons, and so far so great. Velocity by Dean Koontz was also very good, very thrillerish. And if you like romance books, any Nora Roberts book is great.

Okay people, I am not suggesting War and Peace or "The Great American Novel" here. I have a suggestion for the ladies that do like the "trashy" romance-type novels.

Bertrice Small writes some excellent erotic romance/historical novels. Most of them are based in the 1500-1800s, and most of them are also historically accurate, containing actual characters that lived during those times, including many of the events that occurred around them (such as Queen Elizabeth I, Leonardo da Vinci, etc.) but mixes in fictional characters to make up the main "cast" of her books (the real events are incidental to the main storyline most of the time). I would most recommend any of the "Skye O'Malley" books (of which there are many sequels). They will take you from England to India and everwhere in between, and they are an excellent escape while away on vacation (who wants to think while they are suntanning?). :p

• 1 month later...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child. I really can't believe they are not more popular. The first one in the series is "The Killing Floor", but after you read that one you can read any of the rest of them out of order. They are very readable, with edge of your seat action (and yet believable!!), some romance and snappy dialogue. Everything I look for in a good book. Check it out!

For those of you who want to be edified as well as entertained, I suggest David McCullogh's "The Great Bridge - The Epic Story of the Building of the Brooklyn Bridge." First rate research, a fascinating look at the social structure of the time, and very, very readable.

Anni

• 2 weeks later...

By far the most interesting and intriguing books I've read are the following trilogy about the reign of the Pharaohs. Is Indiana Jones meets Angels and Demons, meets Gone with the Wind.

The are.... (drum roll please...)

1 River God by Wilbur Smith

2 The Seventh Scroll by Wilbur Smith

3 Warlock by Wilbur Smith

For hysterical out loud laughter, and SO much better than the movies read

Bridget Jones Diary (as previously suggested), and Beyond the Edge of Reason. Half the story is left out in the movies and is such an easy to read funfest.

If you like books that are a little off the wall .....Running With Scissors and The Dogs of Babel are both good....Running is really bizaar but very hard to put down (the movie comes out next month) and the Dogs is a quirky relationship/mystery type story...loved it!

The Lovely Bones was really good as well. I also like just about anything Susan Isaacs writes. Happy sailing!

I love Kathy Reichs books...if you have ever seen the show "Bones" on TV, she is the real life Temperance Brennan. Very detailed and funny writer, plus I love that she adds a little spanish and french in every once and a while.

Also, I know they are a little childish, but VERY good...the Paolini series (Eragon, Eldest and the new Inheritance that is not out yet). They are made for young adult reading, but very interesting...definitly could not put it down! Although, I am a Harry Potter lover, so they fit me well. :)

Great author sharing!!!

Janet Evanavich

Lisa Scottaline

Sue Grafton

Kathy Reichs

Diane Mott Davidson

Patricia Cornwell

Nora Roberts

James Patterson

All great reads!!! Yes they are in a series format but you don't have to start at the beginning.

Early Bird - by Rodney Rothman - hilarious book - about condo living in Boca Raton Fl - as seen through the eyes of a 20 something - fun easy read.

Keep smilin',

:) :) :)

Janet Evanavich

Lisa Scottaline

Sue Grafton

Kathy Reichs

Diane Mott Davidson

Patricia Cornwell

Nora Roberts

James Patterson

Patricia Cornwell & Nora Roberts are 2 of my favorite authors. I just read a great "light" book - Richard Paul Evans, "The Last Promise"... wonderful.

All these books sound so great! I am going to the library tomorrow with my list. I think I would like ALL the books recommended, if not on the cruise, in the future.

Can't wait! and can't thank you all enough!

Hi Mahreeya. The last time I read a thread on books I discovered some great books. One of the funniest books I've read lately, and very appropriate on a cruise, is Skinny Dip by Carl Hiasson. It's about a man who throws his wife overboard a cruise ship and what she does to him. It was so hilarious that I was laughing so hard that after a few pages I decided to read it to my husband in one sitting - from 3 pm to 11 pm. We didn't even stop to have dinner it was so good. We ended up having yoghurt parfaits for dinner at 11:30. That was fun! Since then I've read a few Carl Hiasson books. All of them are very funny.

Another author recommended on the boards who is outstanding - I've read quite a few of his books lately, is Greg Illes. Every single book is completely different from the other. I enjoyed Turning Angel, Dead Sleep, Footprints of God, etc. All very interesting stories, mysteries, etc.

Edna Buchanan is an excellent author and I really enjoyed reading Miami, It's Murder and Suitable for Framing. The setting is always Miami and her main character is a reporter for the Miami News and covers a lot of interesting cases.

Michael Connolly is another good author. Lincoln Lawyer, one of his latest, was very good.

Iris Johansen was also recommended. I got a few of her books but haven't started any yet. You can't go wrong with James Patterson - there are two James Pattersons and both are good authors.

Hope you enjoy your cruise and you have some good books to read.

Joan

Hayley is precious! MY babies are Candee (the toy poodle) and Taffy (a mini). Aren't they just the BEST little babies???

As far as book recommendations, I like Debbie Macomber, Jennifer Crusie, and Janet Evanovich for light, happy reads.

I'm always looking for great reads that put me in a good mood. I don't like heavy and/or depressing books. I'm a court reporter and hear enough bad/sad stuff all day long. I like to escape into a HAPPY book.

Lynn

Hi Lynn. You'll love Carl Hiasson. Skinny Dip is hilarious and so appropriate on a cruise. It's about a dirt bag who throws his wife overboard a cruise ship. And does she get him! I've read a couple more by him and have laughed out loud.

Happy reading and happy cruising.

Joan

I agree with previous post. Skinny Dip starts on a cruise ship and revolves around the husband tossing the wife overboard. A great read. I now want to read the other books by Carl Hiaasen.

Since I read on the boards about Skinny Dip, I've read Lucky You and Strip Tease. Carl Hiasson is hilarious and I highly recommend him. He is so irreverant.

Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...