I Need A Good Book To Read On My Trip

mahreeya

I have to echo the recommendations made by others about this author. If you like the forensic crimefighter genré, you'll like this author.

I find her to be very similar to Patricia Cornwall, however of late I have found the Cornwall books to be getting a bit too "weird" and creepy, so actually enjoy the Reichs books better.

Plus there is that continuing thread of truth that runs through them in that the author interjects some of her real life experiences working as a forensic anthropologist sharing her time between Montreal QC and Charlotte NC.

Déjà Dead

Death Du Jour

Deadly Decisions

Fatal Voyage

Grave Secrets

Bare Bones

Monday Mourning

Cross Bones

Break No Bones

The TV show "Bones" is based on her book character, Temperance Brennan although I find that the character in the book seems to be quite a bit more personable and sociable than the TV character is. There is also no agent "Booth" in the book either.

Has anyone read "A Salty Piece of Land" by Jimmy Buffett? Just wondering what kind of book it is...mystery, drama, comedy....?

I read Skinny Dip on last years cruise and loved it...very apropos when reading it on a cruise ship. I actually saw 4-5 others also reading it...

I want to find another appropriate fast read for our up-coming cruise in March. Any suggestions? I've read all of Janet Evanovichs and many James Patterson. I like light fluff when I'm travelling...too many distractions for a "heavy" book.

Thanks,

Sandy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sandy,

These authors all write humorous, fast paced mysteries.

Carolyn Haines

Charlaine Harris

Donna Andrews

Mary Kay Andrews

Nancy Cohen

Jerrilyn Farmer

Anne George

Joan Hess

Sharon Short

Heather Webber

And, not to be immodest, but my own Scumble River Mysteries are humorous with a touch of romance.

Best,

Denise Swanson

Murder of a Real Bad Boy

• 1 month later...

Jean M Auel (Earths children series)

Diana Gabaldon (Forever Autumn series)

Nora Roberts (any for a, lose yourself "light" read)

Paolini (aim at teens but good read)

Jk Rowling (surprisingly adaptable as an adult read)

Barbera Erskin

Lord of the rings

Antony Horowitz (circle of five)

I know it's a strange and eclectic selection, but if it's a good story, I'll read it, I'm definitely going to try Hiasson

Just picked the five books for my 10 day cruise;

Janet Evanovich- 11th in the Stephanie Plum series (thanks to this link)

Jennifer Crusie-Bet Me (never read but got recommendation from this link)

Nicholas Sparks-At First Sight (read most of his older ones)

Kate Atkinson-Case Histories (best seller list gonna try it)

Alisa Allan-(just gotta get to barnes & noble to order one)

Great reads that i have read: Memoirs of a Geisha, All of the Janet Evanovich 1-10, Little Earthquakes, Good in Bed, In Her Shoes by Jennifer Weiner, almost all of Jane Greens' Babyville, Bookends, The Other Woman, Jodi Picoult;s The pact, my sister keeper, The Tenth Circle (still reading now),

Hope this helps! Happy reading!

Felicia

Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks. Narrated by a young woman living in a small English town during the 17th century plague. It's been awhile since I read it but I remember recommending it to everyone at the time. She has another book out called "March", based on the father of the "Little Women".

A few that I'm partial to:

Lee Child's Jack Reacher series - ex MP keeps getting caught up in dangerous situations.

Jeffery Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme series -starts with The Bone Collector(movie starring Denzel Washington and Angelina Jolie). Actually, anything by him. His book Twisted has some good short stories.

Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child - anything by them. Besides several novels, they have a series about an unorthodox FBI agent named Pendergast.

BOOKISH ANGEL!!! I'm a bookcrosser, too. 'frybaby' is my name over there. I'm looking forward to releasing some books on my next cruise. I did release a few on my last one but none have been caught, dangit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's been awhile since I've been on here and glad to see this thread still running strong. You ladies have been responsible for making me add to my list! I always have to recommend a favorite that has been mentioned here several times. http://www.AlisaAllan.com

Like others have said, I need something light and not too intense and I've read all of hers and can't recommend them highly enough. And for those who haven't seen her website lately, she'll be coming out with a new one this year that will have two characters from One Last Time, Jack and Jenna, in their own story!

It won't be out before I cruise again, and I've read all 6 of hers now, didn't have the dicipline to save any for my upcoming cruise, but you've all given me a great list while I have to wait. Thanks!

Has anyone read "A Salty Piece of Land" by Jimmy Buffett? Just wondering what kind of book it is...mystery, drama, comedy....?

I would say mostly an amusing comedy, little romance and travel. It is the further adventures of Tully Mars, cowboy and his horse adrift in the Caribbean. I bought it and before I started reading it, booked our next cruise to GC and Calica. A lot of the story takes place around the Tulum area. Just a little strange, not realizing I would be reading about a place I was soon to visit.:rolleyes:

Just finished Marley and Me - absolutely wonderful! :D Couldn't put it down. Also, just finished Kiterunner. Great book. In an earlier post I couldn't remember the name of a cruiseship book. It is Devils of the Deep Blue Sea and is the story of the beginnings of the cruiseship industry - Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, etc. Very interesting reading. Other books I enjoy are Sue Grafton's Alphabet mysteries; A is for . . ., B is for. . . and so on and anything by Nicholas Sparks. For you guys who like military reading, my DH just finished a set of W.E.B. Griffin Marine Corps series. Being a Marine vet, he really enjoyed them. I went back and re-read this entire thread and got some good titles to check out for our upcoming cruise next week. TG23

I hope you come back sooner than the last time. I am facinated by Alisa Allan's cruise novels. I have never heard of her. Just wondering which one was your favorite.

mamamo65...Thanks for the review of A Salty Piece of Land. In the end it just didn't intrigue me enough.

So far I have James Patterson packed for our upcoming cruise but would like to throw in a second as our itinerary is mediocre AND we got an upsell to an Owner's Suite on NCL so I suspect I will be spending more time on my own balcony (less distractions)

I'm leaving in a month.... :)

Sandy

I hope you come back sooner than the last time. I am facinated by Alisa Allan's cruise novels. I have never heard of her. Just wondering which one was your favorite.

mamamo65...Thanks for the review of A Salty Piece of Land. In the end it just didn't intrigue me enough.

So far I have James Patterson packed for our upcoming cruise but would like to throw in a second as our itinerary is mediocre AND we got an upsell to an Owner's Suite on NCL so I suspect I will be spending more time on my own balcony (less distractions)

I'm leaving in a month.... :)

Sandy

Sandy - About Alisa Allan... Can't tell you a favorite because I loved all of hers. All six were different, and it surprised me how unpredicable they were when they were all released so quickly together. I would have thought they would have started sounding the same but they didn't. And most of the islands she writes about I've been to or plan to go so that just makes it even better.

I have a friend who constantly raves about After Midnight as a favorite even though she said it 'made her sick' - lol Let me explain, when she got toward the end of the story, she said she literally had an upset stomach because she didn't think things could possibly work out for that 'happy ever after' ending we all want. I won't tell you what happens because you might read it and I don't want to ruin it. But she really said her nerves took a beating all the way to the very last chapter!

For me, her books work so well for the light vacation reads. So you haven't read any yet? If you were looking for which to read first, I'd get the one maybe with the islands you're sailing to. If you let me know I could at least probably tell you which one has those islands in it.

As for the Owner's Suite for your cruise, what a treat! And you will be in the room more, sitting right on that balcony. It's one of the reasons sometimes I wish my hubby wasn't so spoiled now and has to have a balcony, we get out of the room more when we don't. But since our first balcony he can't go back. I'd never care, I'd just be happy to be on the ship at all! And it's been awhile, far too long. I've been checking out the NCL Dream though for a quick getaway in the very near future with some friends in Texas.

Also, while I'm on here, I wanted to find out if anyone knows if the movie (I think this is the title) Little Miss Sunshine, was based on a book? The movie is getting rave reviews and I was needing something for my niece she hasn't read yet. As a matter of fact, she's 14 and she too loves Alisa Allan. Yes, they are clean enough for young teens and still a fantastic read! Neice is the only one I've lended my copies to, all my friends have to go out and buy their own because I ordered from the author website and they are autographed. Not taking the chance those babies getting lost!

So, I'm wondering if anyone knows if Little Miss Sunshine movie was based on book and by who?

Thanks BeachBumMama! I really appreciate you responding so fast. Our itinerary is from NY to Florida and Bahamas but we have also done Western Caribbean so what ever one you think is best for this trip, feel free to add your $0.02. To be honest after reading some other reviews (on Amazon) I was leaning towards After Midnight but I am certainly open to any suggestions.

Yes, we are really looking forward to our Owner's Suite. Like I mentioned (and you can see) the itinerary is mediocre. We have been to these places before with the exception of the private island. Also, we are travelling during Spring Break so I'm sure there will be a lot of 18-25 year olds have a great time on deck (not that I mind but I don't want to have to hunt down a deck chair). We had a balcony last year and it was a great respite later in the day after watching the action around the pool.

As far as Little Miss Sunshine, I can't find a book anywhere at the online book

stores. I'm thinking that it was an original screenplay. My daughter is also 14 and likes "The Clique" books. Also, the Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants series (I also read them just to see...was quite entertained) has a new book that just came out called Forever in Blue (The Fourth Summer of the Sisterhood). Lastly, the Shopaholic books are also good for 14 year old girls. Good, clean entertainment. Actually anything my Sophie Kinsella....

Thanks for your help!

Sandy

If you were leaning towards After Midnight, go with that one. I wasn't disappointed in any of them, and again, I honestly wouldn't be able to pick out a favorite if I tried. I think you can still get an autographed copy of that one on her website. http://www.AlisaAllan.com There isn't one that features the itinerary you're on, but I'm pretty sure it was Beyond The Horizon that featured the Western Caribbean. I remember Belize, Roatan and a few others in that one. And there's a ton of reviews on her site too. You sound like me, I want to know what others thought. I've wasted more money getting something because it was on a bestseller list and found out I should have just thrown my money in the trash!

Thanks for all the 14 year old suggestions. I know she's read and likes the Travelling pants series, and probably the others you mentioned. She's a big reader so I didn't want to chance getting something she'd already read and thought if they had a book on Little Miss Sunshine it would be something I KNOW she wouldn't have. I haven't seen the movie yet but I heard its great. I'm hoping to take her and her younger sister soon to see it.

Have a great time! Even with the spring breakers. But as you said, you'll have a wonderful room to escape to.

Great non-fiction. I read it during my recent cruise to Antarctica and left it on the Marco Polo book exchange shelf.

Another book that seems to be good thus far is The Hazards of Sleeping Alone by Elise Juska. It is rather chick-littish but of a significantly higher caliber than the usual offerings from that genre.