Which beach has.....????

mueller74us

Looking for a beach that has...

1. umbrella rentals

2. food (anything from a nice restaurant to a snack shack)

3. not super far from St. Johns

4. NOT TOO CROWDED

Would Runaway Beach meet these criteria? If not where would you suggest?

Thanks,

Jennifer

Dickenson Beach has everything you asked for. The crowd issue will depend on how many ships are in port and how many of those people head to Dickenson. Not sure if Runaway has a restaurant and rentals but is nice. Millers by the Sea I think it is at the beginning of Ft. James beach it is a nice beach as well. Those 3 beaches are one after the other. Deep Bay may also satisfy all of your needs depending on the ongoing issues at the Royal Antiguan. In March they had very low numbers of guests and we spent two days there. We bought lunch at the Andes Restaraunt which was very good and extremely reasonable by Antigua standards. No one bothered us and infact we were treated very nice there. We used the chairs and restrooms with no issues and rented nonmotorized water sports.

Karysa

we went to the beach at the Royal Antiguan also a few years back. It was very quiet over there.

Snack shacks, bathroom and a nice restaurant on the far side.

Hubby can't stay on the beach long (boredom) so he ventured up the hill to the ruins and took some great pictures from there.

it was a very nice time. Just check into the problems at the Hotel, they have switched hands quite a few times and just haven't seem to gotten it together yet.

1334978658_antiqua008.jpg.c75de2bdaacba786bc45335ffc13a1c1.jpg

If you plan to spent more time on the beach, go to Tunner or Darkwood beach (right next to each other. It is 40 minutes south St, John. Dickenson is 20 minute north of St. John.

These two beaches has everything you ask for plus less crowd and better water and and. Dickenson is not bad, but it become too commercial since alll the taxi and day tripper go there. I took an island tour in the morning and the tour guide show me the beach, I love it and like to return in teh afternoon. By the time I completed my morning tour, I do not have enough tiem to return to Darkwood beach and end up we spend the afternoon in Dickenson. This is the pictures of dicksenson beach http://www.geocities.com/kmsu2000/caribbean/antigua10.jpg Still a very good beach, but I do not like all the water toys. It make too much noise.

More pictures here http://www.geocities.com/kmsu2000/caribbean/ci.html

• 2 weeks later...
If you plan to spent more time on the beach, go to Tunner or Darkwood beach (right next to each other. It is 40 minutes south St, John. Dickenson is 20 minute north of St. John.

These two beaches has everything you ask for plus less crowd and better water and and. Dickenson is not bad, but it become too commercial since alll the taxi and day tripper go there. I took an island tour in the morning and the tour guide show me the beach, I love it and like to return in teh afternoon. By the time I completed my morning tour, I do not have enough tiem to return to Darkwood beach and end up we spend the afternoon in Dickenson. This is the pictures of dicksenson beach http://www.geocities.com/kmsu2000/caribbean/antigua10.jpg Still a very good beach, but I do not like all the water toys. It make too much noise.

More pictures here http://www.geocities.com/kmsu2000/caribbean/ci.html

love your pictures thanks for posting!

We just came back from a cruise stop in Barbados last week. I initially thought of going to Turner or Jolly Beaches after doing some research but was told at the Taxi stand that it was going to be I believe $32 each way just for the taxi as well as the time involved. With so many other good choices in beaches we opted for Runaway Beach for it's proximity. I believe the cab ride was like $12 for the 3 of us but really don't recall. I know it was very reasonable though. The beach was great and the water clear. Bath, change and food was available right behind the beach where the cab dropped us off and which is close to the water. Umbrellas were available for $10 and chairs for $5 as well as thatched Tikis but they were all rented out so I'm not sure of their cost. We rented jet skis on the beach for $45/ea per half hour and had a ball. I also saw people horseback riding on the beach just down a ways. The taxi returned as promised at the agreed upon time for the short ride back to town. Even so there were other taxis waiting at the beach for hire if you needed them.

Archived