Ships for a 3 and 5 Y/O

danya83

DH and I are trying to plan a cruise to bring our DS and DD on (right now they are 4 and 19months) we are thinking of planning it for the fall of 08 or early winter of 09. What ships would be great for their ages..any discounts for them? Any and all info would be very helpful.

DH and I are going on mariner of the seas this sept and he mentioned bringing them....what do you think? I would like to wait, I've been really excited to just have this vacation for us, and possibly book a Nexcruise option.

Just returned yesterday from 7 night voyager of the seas out of Barcelona, Europe. We have a 3 year old boy and 6 year old girl. Adventure Ocean on this ship was so fantastic , especially for the 6 year old. We couldn't get her out of there. The staff are wonderful and very efficient and professional. Our 3 year old is still a bit clingy as I am at home with him and he is not used to day-care. It opens at 9am and closes as 10pm (there is a late-night fee from 10pm to 1am). the children are brought for meals if you sigh them up early in the day, making it possible for mum and dad to go ashore. I felt the children were very safe and well cared for by the youth team. they are a lovely bunch of young adults. Children must be at least 3 years old.

Ok, ALL cruiselines have 3rd and 4th person rates (at the very least)...so I didn't want you to get confused with what a previous poster said.

Some 3rd and 4th person rates are less than others, pending on the ship/itinerary/promos going on. Some cruiselines have $99 3rd and 4th person rates from time to time where you pay $99 plus port fees for the kids.

Disney has discounted rates for kid based on age...but you will pay more for a Disney cruise overall. You will pay more for the 1st and 2nd person rate and often alot for the 3rd and 4th person.

If you are going on the Mariner in September your youngest won't be 3 years old yet and won't be allowed into Adventure Ocean but WILL be allowed to use the in-cabin babysitting. I think there is a benefit to go on a cruise where the kids CAN take part in the clubs/babysitting programs.

But you don't sound ready to bring the kids on this cruise in Sept and that's FINE. Wait till the next one. Stick with the Voyager Class (or Freedom Class) ships on RCCL...or even try a Carnival cruise for your next one. Carnival rates are often MUCH cheaper and if your youngest isn't potty trained yet they change diapers.

In fairness, I've nothing to compare it to, but we (kids and parents) LOVE Carnival. We choose that line for our first cruise as they take children in Camp from 2 up, AND they change diapers. DD was 25 months on our first cruise, and we had such a great time! Anytime I'm looking at a vacation since then, I circle around back to Carnival - the rates always seem to be great, and I KNOW we'll all have a great time. I am convinced a cruise is the absolute best choice for a vacation with young children.

I hope whatever you decide to do, you have a great time.

Ok, ALL cruiselines have 3rd and 4th person rates (at the very least)...so I didn't want you to get confused with what a previous poster said.

Some 3rd and 4th person rates are less than others, pending on the ship/itinerary/promos going on. Some cruiselines have $99 3rd and 4th person rates from time to time where you pay $99 plus port fees for the kids.

Disney has discounted rates for kid based on age...but you will pay more for a Disney cruise overall. You will pay more for the 1st and 2nd person rate and often alot for the 3rd and 4th person.

If you are going on the Mariner in September your youngest won't be 3 years old yet and won't be allowed into Adventure Ocean but WILL be allowed to use the in-cabin babysitting. I think there is a benefit to go on a cruise where the kids CAN take part in the clubs/babysitting programs.

But you don't sound ready to bring the kids on this cruise in Sept and that's FINE. Wait till the next one. Stick with the Voyager Class (or Freedom Class) ships on RCCL...or even try a Carnival cruise for your next one. Carnival rates are often MUCH cheaper and if your youngest isn't potty trained yet they change diapers.

Thanks, no I am not ready to give up "our" vacation yet. ;)

I will watch for bargains then on the third and fourth passengers. I am hoping I can find one that is cheap to bring them on. My son is fascinated by boats, so just being on the ship will thrill him!!! And both of my kids are actually potty trained :eek: , Yes....my daughter loves to play with the toilet so we made the best of it....still have a few accidents, but no diapers. wahoo!!!

Personally I am not a high octance person and like to totally relax on cruises. If this is not your style then don't read any further....

I like Celebrity best because the youth program keeps the kids very entertained. They are in a loving, caring, fun environment. They even take the kids to dinner each night- so that the adults can dine in peace. It just depends what you are looking for.

As for the adult activities. Celebrity is low key. No announcements- there are ballroom dance lessons, bingo, trivia- and pool games. There are island parties and evening parties. But if you aren't into these things- there is plenty of deck space to job, walk and stroll around. I just feel pampered and rejuveninated. And the best part is that my son LOVES every minute. It's a win-win.

We just took our 5yr old on Carnival Victory. She loved camp carnival, and it gave me a break too. I also used the after hours babysitting a couple of nights,$6 hour but worth it. They also took her to lunch and dinner on port days. There was a wading pool for the little ones which was nice ,she played and I lounged in the sun. She also loved the waterslide,did not empty into a pool but ended in shallow water at the end of the slide. When we took her to the dining room with us for dinner they had items for her to eat such as burgers,pizza and chicken nuggets.

I was on Carnival Victory with my then 4 year old. We had a great time but it wasn't my favorite cruise. The cabins were more spacious than most other lines and really I didn't have much to complain about though.

The Kid Club was the weak point IMO. There were too many kids for the size of the facility. My son was a bit overwhelmed at times but had fun and they took good care of him. The crew couldn't have been nicer.

As for the waterslide. I suffer from fear of heights and was a nervous wreck- him being so high in the air. He lost interest in it after the first day- thankfully.

As for the waterslide. I suffer from fear of heights and was a nervous wreck- him being so high in the air. He lost interest in it after the first day- thankfully.

Your son must be tall! My poor 7 year old couldn't go on it cause she wasn't tall enough. My poor kids are just destined to be short. :eek:

Oh and to danya....there are cheaper ships to do with kids. You can book RCCL Sovereign for about $299 pp then it goes to $199 for each child. We booked a group of friends with kids on Carnival Sensation for 4 days to the Bahamas for $345 1st and 2nd person and then $245 for the 3rd and 4th person TOTAL including port charges. So a family of 4 vacation for a $1,000. And we added a night at Walt Disney World before the cruise and are taking the kids to the Pirate/Princess Party at Magic Kingdom.

Oh and to danya....there are cheaper ships to do with kids. You can book RCCL Sovereign for about $299 pp then it goes to $199 for each child. We booked a group of friends with kids on Carnival Sensation for 4 days to the Bahamas for $345 1st and 2nd person and then $245 for the 3rd and 4th person TOTAL including port charges. So a family of 4 vacation for a $1,000. And we added a night at Walt Disney World before the cruise and are taking the kids to the Pirate/Princess Party at Magic Kingdom.

That's exactly what I am looking for!!! I hope I can find a deal like that for 2008. I am thinking of buying a room while we are on Mariner this sept, so I am trying to get all my research done now. (do you know if on the ship if you can book for celebrity?)

Archived