Iditarod Headquarters

Stacey779

We're thinking of visiting the Iditarod headquarters on our pre-cruise land tour. Has anyone else been here? I know the museum and movie are free, but does anyone know how much the sled dog cart rides are? We're already planning on visiting Martin Buser's "Happy Trails" kennel, so I don't know if it would be worth it to stop at the Iditarod Headquarters too. Any feedback would be great! :D

We're thinking of visiting the Iditarod headquarters on our pre-cruise land tour. Has anyone else been here? I know the museum and movie are free, but does anyone know how much the sled dog cart rides are? We're already planning on visiting Martin Buser's "Happy Trails" kennel, so I don't know if it would be worth it to stop at the Iditarod Headquarters too. Any feedback would be great! :D

I go there fairly often with groups. The rides are now $10 - I guess it will depend on whether or not you're "huskyed-out" after visiting Martin's kennel, but I think even a short stop to see the operation will be worthwhile.

Murray

Hi. CAn you tell me where this this? We'll be heading up to Alaska on 6/23 for a 5 day land tour the cruise south bound on 6/29. Thanks

I think it's about a two hour ride from Anchorage. The address on their website is listed as: Mile 2.2 Knik Goose Bay Rd. Wasilla, AK

They give you more information on their web page:

http://www.iditarod.com/aboutus/headquarters.html

Wasilla is 1 hour from Anchorage. The museum is worth a stop and the cart rides a bargain. :) These have been Reddington dogs in the past. Read up on the Reddingtons, very interesting history of sled dogs.

This and a kennel visit are very different. If you have never seen a kennel that may also be worthwhile??? If you are getting to the Denali park kennel, then those 2 may be enough??

Yukon, do you think we should just do the headquarters instead of Martin Buser's kennel?

No, visiting a real musher's kennel is far better. The Iditarod HQ will just add some perspective to what you see there.

Hi. CAn you tell me where this this? We'll be heading up to Alaska on 6/23 for a 5 day land tour the cruise south bound on 6/29. Thanks

Drive out the Glenn Highway from downtown Anchorage (5th avenue becomes the Glenn Highway). Go past Eagle River, Chugiak, and Eklutna, cross the Palmer Hayflats until you get to the interchange of the Glenn and Parks Highway. Take the Parks into Wasilla (about 7 miles) where signs are posted along the road directing you to the museum.

Archived