Driving the Strait of Juan de Fuca Highway

We are planning a cruise out of Sealtle this fall and will be in Seattle for a couple days pre cruise. We will arrive Sat morning and are wanting to rent a car and drive through the Strait of Juan de Fuca Highway. I have some questions for anyone familiar with the area.

First, is there a car ferry that will take us from the Seattle area to 101...across Puget Sound? That would cut off the extra time it would take to drive down I 5 then back up and around. Then we thought we would stay somewhere along the the Strait....in Joyce, or Clallam Bay, Port Angeles, or Lake Ozette Saturday night. We would spend the rest of Sunday enjoying the area, driving back to Seattle Sunday night (depending on how long it would take) or early Monday morning. We board the cruise ship on Monday afternoon.

I have no idea what the cabins/B&B, hotels are like along the highway. Has anyone had any experience at all in this area. It looks beautiful on the map!!

Any suggestions at all would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks,

Yes the ferry will take you to Bainbridge Island from Seattle from there you can get to 101. I live in Port Angeles and it is my personal feeling you will not get much out of Joyce or Clallam Bay. Both are tiny depressed timber/fishing towns. The joke here is don't blink or you will miss them when you drive thru. Port Angeles is a beautiful town with the Olympic Mts. to our south & the water to your north. About 25,000 people live here. If you come this far you might want to consider Victoria Canada..(is your cruise is not porting there) It is a wonderful day trip you feel like you are in England.

If you stay in my area the must see things I enjoy taking guests from out of town to are

Victoria the ferry sails from P.A. great history museum

Lake Cresent in the heart of our Olympic National Park

Hurricane Ridge

That is just a few things to do in P.A.

The ferry ride to Bainbridge Island is 30min.

We have one hotel on the waterfront & another one up on the hill with a waterview. I hope you enjoy our area. Have a great cruise.

We are planning a cruise out of Sealtle this fall and will be in Seattle for a couple days pre cruise. We will arrive Sat morning and are wanting to rent a car and drive through the Strait of Juan de Fuca Highway. I have some questions for anyone familiar with the area.

First, is there a car ferry that will take us from the Seattle area to 101...across Puget Sound? That would cut off the extra time it would take to drive down I 5 then back up and around. Then we thought we would stay somewhere along the the Strait....in Joyce, or Clallam Bay, Port Angeles, or Lake Ozette Saturday night. We would spend the rest of Sunday enjoying the area, driving back to Seattle Sunday night (depending on how long it would take) or early Monday morning. We board the cruise ship on Monday afternoon.

I have no idea what the cabins/B&B, hotels are like along the highway. Has anyone had any experience at all in this area. It looks beautiful on the map!!

Any suggestions at all would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks,

There are 2 typical ferry choices to get you to Port Angeles area. From Downtown Seattle is Bainbridge Is ferry - goes through Poulsbo - a quaint little town on the bay and the other Edmonds Ferry a little north from Seattle takes you closer to the Hood Canal bridge which you have to cross either way. (both are 35 minute car ferries and have good schedules) There are hotels in PA, cute "cabin" type accomodations in Sequim and historic B&B's in Port Townsend. This is a great area to site see. The Hoh rain forest is a bit of a ways from PA but worth the exta miles - if to your liking.

A hint from my SIL who lives in PA and comes to Sea about 3 weeks of month - depend on North or So destination in Seattle - the trip from PA to Seattle from 4 points - 3 ferries or drive around are all within 10 minutes of each other (1 3/4 - 2 hr if ferry timing is right). If you're at Sea-Tac-drive around, North seattle - Edmonds, downtown-Bainbridge.

Hope this is useful. Enjoy our beautiful area.

Yes the ferry will take you to Bainbridge Island from Seattle from there you can get to 101. I live in Port Angeles and it is my personal feeling you will not get much out of Joyce or Clallam Bay. Both are tiny depressed timber/fishing towns. The joke here is don't blink or you will miss them when you drive thru. Port Angeles is a beautiful town with the Olympic Mts. to our south & the water to your north. About 25,000 people live here. If you come this far you might want to consider Victoria Canada..(is your cruise is not porting there) It is a wonderful day trip you feel like you are in England.

If you stay in my area the must see things I enjoy taking guests from out of town to are

Victoria the ferry sails from P.A. great history museum

Lake Cresent in the heart of our Olympic National Park

Hurricane Ridge

That is just a few things to do in P.A.

The ferry ride to Bainbridge Island is 30min.

We have one hotel on the waterfront & another one up on the hill with a waterview. I hope you enjoy our area. Have a great cruise.

Hi Windermere - As I mentioned my B/SIL lives in your area so we're visiting a few times a year. We love that area - so quiet and peaceful. Now counting weeks to Sept. - Soon we'll be counting days!!

There are 2 typical ferry choices to get you to Port Angeles area. From Downtown Seattle is Bainbridge Is ferry - goes through Poulsbo - a quaint little town on the bay and the other Edmonds Ferry a little north from Seattle takes you closer to the Hood Canal bridge which you have to cross either way. (both are 35 minute car ferries and have good schedules) There are hotels in PA, cute "cabin" type accomodations in Sequim and historic B&B's in Port Townsend. This is a great area to site see. The Hoh rain forest is a bit of a ways from PA but worth the exta miles - if to your liking.

A hint from my SIL who lives in PA and comes to Sea about 3 weeks of month - depend on North or So destination in Seattle - the trip from PA to Seattle from 4 points - 3 ferries or drive around are all within 10 minutes of each other (1 3/4 - 2 hr if ferry timing is right). If you're at Sea-Tac-drive around, North seattle - Edmonds, downtown-Bainbridge.

Hope this is useful. Enjoy our beautiful area.

This is great information. A few more questions!

We are flying into Sea Tac arriving at 10:30 Sat morning. What would be your choice for the ferry crossing? Edmonds or Bainbridge? Should we do one on the way to PA and perhaps do the other ferry on the way back to Seattle to board the ship? Is one a nicer drive than the other? One faster?

How long will it take to get from Sea Tac to PA?

Would it be reasonable to get a hotel/cabin in PA for both Sat and Sunday night and then enjoy the PA area on Sat and take all day Sunday to drive up to Neah Bay and back. We can then leave early Monday morning for Seattle. We don't need to board the ship till 5pm so we thought we would check in, get rid of our luggage and then enjoy a little of Seattle. We have been there several times and have always enjoyed the city.

If this sounds doable...any recommendations for a hotel/B&B/cabin in PA?

And yes, we will be stopping in Victoria and Nanaimo while on the ship.

I'd like to chip in with a few things.

1. Your trip idea is a good one.

2. Sequim right on the highway used to have a nice hotel.

3. For sure as mentioned do "Hurricane Ridge"

Now on the ferry. If you are renting at the airport and want to go right away in the direction of PA Would not the Fauntleroy (West Seattle) /Southworth be the best one to get out of town.

Perhaps the locals could comment.

Coming back if you have lots of time I would suggest Port Townsend/Keystone

This is great information. A few more questions! - Glad to help - you have a great trip planned.

We are flying into Sea Tac arriving at 10:30 Sat morning. What would be your choice for the ferry crossing? Edmonds or Bainbridge? Should we do one on the way to PA and perhaps do the other ferry on the way back to Seattle to board the ship? Is one a nicer drive than the other? One faster?

All options are about the same time. If starting from airport - I would drive around and ferry back. Do a mapquest or similar directions and be sure and put in via Tacoma. It should come up with I-5 to hwy 16 to hwy 3 to hwy 101. You'll go over both the Gig Harbor and Hood Canal bridges. On the trip back - if dropping car at airport you could take the Southworth/Fauntleroy ferry - again do a mapquest and put in via Port Orchard or Southworth/Fauntleroy. Then do directions for West Seattle or Fauntleroy to Sea-Tac. Southworth route is a bit off the beaten path but not difficult. If returning the car to downtown - take the Bainbridge ferry.

How long will it take to get from Sea Tac to PA? About 2 hrs not counting ferry wait time

Would it be reasonable to get a hotel/cabin in PA for both Sat and Sunday night and then enjoy the PA area on Sat and take all day Sunday to drive up to Neah Bay and back. We can then leave early Monday morning for Seattle. We don't need to board the ship till 5pm so we thought we would check in, get rid of our luggage and then enjoy a little of Seattle. We have been there several times and have always enjoyed the city. - Sounds reasonable/probably the way I would do it

If this sounds doable...any recommendations for a hotel/B&B/cabin in PA? - We stay at the "free" hotel B/SIL so no real recommendations. I think the "better" hotel in PA is the Red Lion, on the waterfront - city center.

And yes, we will be stopping in Victoria and Nanaimo while on the ship.

- So will we!!! end of Sept.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/ here's a link to the Ferries - rates, schedules, etc.

Ok......I'm lost here............I've lived in Washington all my life & I have never heard of "the Strait of Juan de Fuca Highway" .......am I missing something???? Maybe it's a blonde moment???? Am I reading it wrong???? Dontcha just hate it when that happens????

Please tell me I'm not losing it........

Thanks.........

Sharon

Thanks everyone for the information.

That's a great link, Dennis.

I'm Still looking for suggestions for hotels/B&B for Port Angeles or that area.

Any suggestions? There seems to be a lot of B&B. I'm wondering if I can just wait till we get there and just pick what looks good. I would think that Sept 30 would be a "off season" time?

Archived