Extras on Avalon

Janice621

Leaving on July 6 for the Danube cruise on Avalon Poetry. Need some advice so I can decide on how much foreign money I need. I know I can get cash from ATM but would like some to start off.

Some questions?

Do you add the tips to your shipboard account and therefore can pay with a credit card?

Can you pay with a credit card for the optional tours?

Thanks.:)

Yes. You can pay by credit card for both things. The excursions will be charged in USD, and the tips for the crew will be charged in Euros. The tips for the Cruise Director (CD) will be charged in USD, also.

Other "extras" that might help you out: at the reception desk, they will cash your traveler's checks and can mail your postcards. The postcards cost the same to mail on the boat as they did in Wurzburg, where we actually got some mailed. I don't think that they charge a fee to cash the traveler's checks, if I recall correctly.

Do you know who your CD is yet? Say "hi" to the crew from Maggie from Virginia (May13 Amsterdam to Budapest). :)

• 2 weeks later...

Do they charge a fee for cashing traveler's checks on the Poetry?

Did they exchange into any currrency you want?

I asume we need Euros in the Austrian and German ports, and Kronur in Prague.

Do they charge a fee for cashing traveler's checks on the Poetry?

Did they exchange into any currrency you want?

I asume we need Euros in the Austrian and German ports, and Kronur in Prague.

As far as I remember, they did NOT charge a fee to cash the checks. They only exchange currency to Euros. We didn't go to Prague, but in Bratislava and Budapest, both places willingly took Euros. Just make sure that you know the exchange rate between Euros and the local currency.

Elsewhere online it was said that inBudapest, small stores, busses etc would take nothing but HUF. You did not find this true? We will be there 2 days, and figured we need to bring some HUF with us.

Were the tourists wearing shorts during the day?

How was the temperature on the Poetry in the evening? Lots of air conditioning or comfortable?

msmeltz,

For two days I´d change some money to HUF. Or simply get some local cash at an ATM. Most touristy spots do accept EUR (even the postcard stands on Vaci Utca). But the public transportation (Hungary has the oldest subway) does only accept HUF (ticket machines do have an English language option).

As for shorts: Only tourists (preferably Americans) are wearing shorts in Europe. Especially if you want to visit any churches forget about shorts. Your knees should be covered. Capris for women are perfect. Shorts are only worn for sporty activities.

steamboats

The Poetry was comfortable in the evenings. I was never hot inside (unless dancing). The cabins have individual controls. In the dining room, I was almost always on the chilly side of comfortable, so I wore a jacket most nights (I'm also one to get cold fairly easily...so others were probably very comfortable). The Sun Deck, of course, depends on the outside temps.

The main indoor market (covered market) accepts Euros from all the vendors as far as I could tell. They tend to give change in HUF. We didn't really shop anywhere else. We did have a drink up by St. Matthias Church/Fisherman's Bastion, and found a place that accepted credit cards. Just be aware of the exchange rate between HUF and Euros. The CD should make you aware of that, so you're not scammed. When we were there, it was about 250HUF=1 Euro (so 1000HUF=4 Euro). We didn't travel on public transportation, as they had us touring on buses.

If you feel you need shorts, I highly recommend the "Convertible" hiking pants that have zip off legs. You can carry the legs with you in case you need them to go into a church. It was a bit toasty in Budapest, but the hiking pants are pretty light weight, so I wore those with a t-shirt.

Have fun!

Thanks for the replies. We will be in Budapest first for 2 nights, and we always like to being some local money with us for when we arrive. We will have Euros, just trying to figure out what we need to bring in HUFS. I have made arrangements to be picked up at the airport, and he will take any cash...HUfs, euros or dollars.

I already printed my conversion cheat sheets from HUFS to US, HUFS to Euros and Euros to US. I am ready for all purchases.1000 HUfs is about $5.59.

Granted only the tourists wear shorts, but in Europe in July that's all you usually see is tourists. Everyone else is working. I will bring my capris, but I don't know if we can get our husbands out of their Florida uniforms.....chino shorts and Polos.

Archived