Which side is better when....

dixiegirl

Which side is better, port or starboard, when entering and exiting the ports? We have a balcony room, Lido deck, port side at the very front of the ship. I was just wondering how much will I get to see when we get to the different ports.

We are going on the western caribbean cruise. I just hope we miss all of these hurricanes and there is something left to actually see in the ports!

Belize was a tender port, the ship anchors so far away that you cannot even see the island from the ship.

In Grand Cayman, the ship anchors closer, but sitll a tender port.

Roatan - Ship docks starboard side towards pier.

Cozumel - Docked port side facing pier (but there are THREE distinct piers @ Cozumel, so YMMV).

Dixie ~ I like booking portside cabins, as my experience has been that this is usually the side facing the port. Nautically speaking, it should be, but not always is. I have never had to tender into a port.

At both Cozumel and Playa del Carmen, the Holiday has been berthed portside. I've been looking out my porthole (or on deck) while we are docking at PdC, as well as being on deck when leaving.

Last cruise, when I awoke, we were already docked at Cozumel. I've always been on deck when leaving Coz, except the last cruise when we were there till midnight.

About those three piers at Cozumel - Carnival owns the Puerta Maya Pier - so MOST of the time, the Carnival ships dock there.

For whatever it's worth, my TA -- who spent several years working onboard cruise ships -- says that captains deliberately alternate the side of the ship facing the port, when possible, so passengers on either side get a view at one port or another.

Archived