$169.50 for passport! Did I overpay?

trvlexprt

I understood the changing of the requirements (allowing for proof of having applied) was only for those who have ALREADY applied as of the date they changed the rule, not for new applicants.

Am I understanding that wrong?

I am confused by the amts. you paid. Was that $169.50 for 2 renewals or one? A renewal is $67 with an expedited fee of $60, making it $127 each, and $254 for 2 renewals. A new passport is $97 with an expedited fee of $60 making it $157.

Application for renewal - $55.00

Security fee - $12.00

Expediting service - $ 60.00

express mail (both ways)$32.50 (must have this they said)

photos - $10.00

Total $169.50

Our local news station did a report on this last night. The "official" receipt that is required to show that you have applied for a passport IS NOT the cash receipt from the passport office (county clerk, post office, etc). You get the official receipt online from travel.state.gov a couple of weeks after you apply and they have cashed your check. According to the news report you need the official receipt and a copy of your birth certificate to travel. The waived requirements by the US do not override the requirements of other countries, and they suggested you check with that country to see if they will accept the receipt and birth certificate. For a cruise leaving from the US that doesn't matter, but if you have to leave the cruise and fly for any reason, it could be a problem and you need to know the countries requirements. As far as the expedited service, the report said it is a waste of money because expedited is backed up just as much as regular service.

Application for renewal - $55.00

Security fee - $12.00

Expediting service - $ 60.00

express mail (both ways)$32.50 (must have this they said)

photos - $10.00

Total $169.50

Thanks for clearing that up. Wow, the gov't. sure can charge a lot extra for what should have been routine. I had heard about the express mail, but it really adds up fast. Sure hope you have the passport before you leave. Anyway, enjoy your trip and may you have many more!

The RFID card as presented would be scannable up to 30' - 160' away by a high power antenna. Plenty of opportunity for others to scan your private information. Identity theft will be a real possiblility.

...as opposed to the unreal possibility it is today, today they don't even need high tech equipment, they just dig through the trash :rolleyes:

I just have to mention one other thing. I called this morning,again,to the local passport office that I went to.I wanted to see if it was even possible to not have the passport expedited and to receive a refund for the extra $92.50.The woman was very nice but did not know.I explained again that I did not understand why I "had" to have this expedited and she verified that their office was told that for any travel via air/sea,passports are required for Canada. I did not want to get into a debate about it again because I know that they are only following what they are told but clearly this is misinformation that these folks are given and in turn to the public.

The end result to all this is that I am just going to leave it as is and wait for it to arrive.

I would rather have the thing now then take a chance that someone changes their mind again and makes it mandatory 3 days before I leave and not have it.

Thanks everybody!

Carol

I just have to mention one other thing. I called this morning,again,to the local passport office that I went to.I wanted to see if it was even possible to not have the passport expedited and to receive a refund for the extra $92.50.The woman was very nice but did not know.I explained again that I did not understand why I "had" to have this expedited and she verified that their office was told that for any travel via air/sea,passports are required for Canada. I did not want to get into a debate about it again because I know that they are only following what they are told but clearly this is misinformation that these folks are given and in turn to the public.

The end result to all this is that I am just going to leave it as is and wait for it to arrive.

I would rather have the thing now then take a chance that someone changes their mind again and makes it mandatory 3 days before I leave and not have it.

Thanks everybody!

Carol

you're right. your post made me click on the link in my previous post. there has been no change to entry reqs in canada (by canada) for US citizens entering from the US. since their entry reqs didn't change, you wld have been fine.

Geez, the gummint said in 2004 that everybody had to get passports. Now its only 2007. Did they expect us to drop everything and have the passport already?? D'they think we got nuthin' else ta do? Da noive!!

Dan

Archived