$169.50 for passport! Did I overpay?

trvlexprt

Yes I know that I am late renewing a passport for a trip in August to Canada (10-12 weeks currently for passport return).

However went today and renewed for $169.50 total to have passport expedited. When I questioned the clerk on why it had to be expedited she stated that since we are leaving in 8weeks we would not have it in time.

This is all fine and well but I thought I was "not required" yet to have one? Not until January 2008. Is this correct?

According to what information I have seen here and online, my understanding was that as long as you have applied for the passport you can still travel with a govt issued id and an offical receipt of application for the passport.

Can someone out there please set me straight. It is very conflicting.

Do you or do you not need a passport for a cruise to Canada?

Thanks for your help :)

Thank you for all your replies

I tried to tell my husband that he didn't need to have it expedited but he did not believe me, oh well its his money then. ;)

I just wish that the county clerk knew what they were doing.

This is how things become confusing.

Thanks again!

I tried to tell my husband that he didn't need to have it expedited but he did not believe me, oh well its his money then. ;)

This is how things become confusing.

Thanks again!

Peace of mind: Priceless

Senate voting, not voting. No difference unless House votes too and Pres signs.

Yes. You paid for expedited services that -- with fore sight -- might not have been necessary.

Enjoy your cruise and the next ten years for which your passport is valid.

If it makes you feel any better, it works out to only $16.95 a year. It also means you'll beat the rush next time the date comes rolling around.

LOL - Yes I did look at it this way. You're right. Now lets see if I get the darn thing in 3-4 weeks :)

I still will have to call tomorrow to make the point that it did not have to be expedited.

Thanks everybody.

Carol

Possibly June 2009 now. Senate will be voting on this shortly.

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N1493739.htm

Constantly changing the date is part of what created the problem now. Everybody expected them to delay, and when the didn't the last time a lot of people got caught flat footed.

Freakin' politicians never learn (on both sides of the border). :rolleyes:

Constantly changing the date is part of what created the problem now. Everybody expected them to delay, and when the didn't the last time a lot of people got caught flat footed.

Freakin' politicians never learn (on both sides of the border). :rolleyes:

The caved, what else is new, the voters have spoken, no if those politicians can figure out a smartchip Passcard and get it approved on both sides of the border, you would be able to renew on-line with a few keystrokes, and a credit card of course:)

i read the same info the other night as what mano posted in his link. here's an excerpt. note it says the rules are relaxed for re-entry into the US, not for entry into other areas. those entry requirements are unaffected. i am not, i repeat, not (:D) saying that canada has changed its rules to require a pp for entry into canada from US citizens (reqs are listed in a link below, apparently). i'm just pointing out this subtle language which could possibly (in another territory) get you into trouble if it isn't fully understood.

The U.S. Departments of State and Homeland Security announced Friday, June 8th that U.S. citizens traveling to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or countries in the Caribbean region, who have applied for, but not yet received passports, can re-enter the United States by air. This accommodation does not mean that Americans are exempt from meeting the entry requirements of Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or countries in the Caribbean region. Entry requirements for those countries remain in effect.

Americans traveling to those countries must verify the specific entry requirements for that country before departure. To access entry requirements for all countries, see our Consular Information Sheets.

This is how things become confusing.Thanks again!

This is precisely the reason people should do the research and have the correct answers BEFORE they do things !

I am confused by the amts. you paid. Was that $169.50 for 2 renewals or one? A renewal is $67 with an expedited fee of $60, making it $127 each, and $254 for 2 renewals. A new passport is $97 with an expedited fee of $60 making it $157.

The caved, what else is new, the voters have spoken, no if those politicians can figure out a smartchip Passcard and get it approved on both sides of the border, you would be able to renew on-line with a few keystrokes, and a credit card of course:)

The RFID card as presented would be scannable up to 30' - 160' away by a high power antenna. Plenty of opportunity for others to scan your private information. Identity theft will be a real possiblility.

I applied for passports for my entire Family Back in the end of february. All but one of us one day and the other one two days later. Last week I got the passport for the single family member. the other ones still say Prossesing on the State department web site. So I would say they are Way behind and Messed up

I must be one of the few lucky ones. I renewed mine at the end of march and got it 6 weeks later. My niece sent for hers at the end of February and still hasn't gotten hers.

I read in the paper today that people who paid the extra for expidited passports still haven't gotten them and they will be refunded the $60.00 fee. What a PITA! http://leisureblogs.chicagotribune.com/takingoff/2007/06/expedited_passp.html

I am confused by the amts. you paid. Was that $169.50 for 2 renewals or one? A renewal is $67 with an expedited fee of $60, making it $127 each, and $254 for 2 renewals. A new passport is $97 with an expedited fee of $60 making it $157.

She said the $169.50 was the total amount, which i also assume means for 2, I even added on for the new pictures and still am not getting that amount either, Hummmm, I'm confused also:rolleyes:

Archived