What happens if I skip a leg

ashleycrew

This is not for a cruise so forgive me for asking here. I need to go to Cincinatti next week and are prices are incredible. Round trip over $1,000!! I can book a trip with Delta through to LGA with a layover in Cinci then take a different airline home. This would save about $500. SO If I do book the flight to LGA and just get off in Cinci other than the risk involved in the first flight getting canceled and not getting where I need to go are there any more risk? The next time I fly Delta am I going to be tagged? Just curious if anyone had any info about this.

Booking within 7-10 days of departure is usually more expensive.

If you can go the following week and pick mid-week flights, stay over more than 1 night it could work out cheaper.

Look at US air or United.... try a search on Kayak.com

The way I read it, ashleycrew wants to fly RDU-CVG-RDU, but wants to book a one-way RDU-CVG-LGA and not fly CVG-LGA, and then fly CVG-RDU on some other airline.

If I've got it right, the answer is that if you don't do it often and you book directly with the airline, the airline is unlikely to come after you. This is particularly so if you do not give a frequent flyer number, as when you next fly on this the airline, it cannot be sure that you are the same person that did this on this occasion.

Just don't have any reservations for further flights on the same booking after the one you skip, as they will probably all be cancelled.

The other thing, of course, is that you can't check any baggage, as the airline will almost certainly only tag it to the final destination (ie LGA) so you can't retrieve it at CVG.

The way I read it, ashleycrew wants to fly RDU-CVG-RDU, but wants to book a one-way RDU-CVG-LGA and not fly CVG-LGA, and then fly CVG-RDU on some other airline.

If I've got it right, the answer is that if you don't do it often and you book directly with the airline, the airline is unlikely to come after you. This is particularly so if you do not give a frequent flyer number, as when you next fly on this the airline, it cannot be sure that you are the same person that did this on this occasion.

Just don't have any reservations for further flights on the same booking after the one you skip, as they will probably all be cancelled.

The other thing, of course, is that you can't check any baggage, as the airline will almost certainly only tag it to the final destination (ie LGA) so you can't retrieve it at CVG.

You are exactly right. This is a day trip leaving at 6:30 am coming back at 7:30 pm. No baggage at all. It is right at $1100 to fly round trip. I can book the RDU-LGA connecting and getting off at CVG for $153 one way on Delta, then book US Air (scarey I know) back for $450. I just don't want to risk being flagged by Delta, I am actually booked on them for my cruise in August and believe me trying to save my company $500 is not worth getting to the airport ready for vacation and having to deal with a headache with this. I know I can stay over days and do alternatice airports..... but the issue I have is my son's baseball team is playing in the city finals the night before and I really want to go and his Birthday is the day after so I really want to get home at a decent hour that day and not waste a whole day flying.

You are exactly right. This is a day trip leaving at 6:30 am coming back at 7:30 pm. No baggage at all. It is right at $1100 to fly round trip. I can book the RDU-LGA connecting and getting off at CVG for $153 one way on Delta, then book US Air (scarey I know) back for $450. I just don't want to risk being flagged by Delta, I am actually booked on them for my cruise in August and believe me trying to save my company $500 is not worth getting to the airport ready for vacation and having to deal with a headache with this. I know I can stay over days and do alternatice airports..... but the issue I have is my son's baseball team is playing in the city finals the night before and I really want to go and his Birthday is the day after so I really want to get home at a decent hour that day and not waste a whole day flying.

You should be fine. Wasn't this the trip you got sick on your plane change at CVG and just COULDN'T continue on??? (hint hint).

Be prepared for extra scrutiny at the airport-last minute, one way tickets.

Thanks for the advice. What I ended up doing was booking Raleigh to Dayton connecting in Cinci. I called the agent and asked what if.... he laughed and said don't worry about it is not a biggie on a one way. The funny part is my seat was the last one on the Dayton to Cinci route. Should I be brave enough to see if it is oversold and try to get a voucher and just tell them I will drive to Dayton..haha I ended up booking out of Dayton coming back (an hour from our office) that night with United so overall the ticket ended up being $390 total which is a lot better than the $1100 I was looking at

Many times it's hard to get an inexpensive flight out of RDU! It always pays to check Greensboro airport. I just checked Greensboro to Cincinnati for next Thursday and RT was $450 pp same day return (US Air).

You may want to keep Greensboro in mind for future travel. Smaller airports can save a lot of $$, especially with family travel. We have started looking at Allegiant air for Florida. Very cheap to FL from Kinston and Fayetteville.

Many times it's hard to get an inexpensive flight out of RDU! It always pays to check Greensboro airport. I just checked Greensboro to Cincinnati for next Thursday and RT was $450 pp same day return (US Air).

You may want to keep Greensboro in mind for future travel. Smaller airports can save a lot of $$, especially with family travel. We have started looking at Allegiant air for Florida. Very cheap to FL from Kinston and Fayetteville.

I have usually been lucky out of RDU. This particular flight had to get me to Cinci for a 10am meeting and I really did not want to go the day before so it pretty much needed to be direct getting there and believe me I was not going to drive an hour and half for a 6:30 am flight. I live right beside RDU so I can leave park and get to the terminal in under 30 min. I checked out Allegiant for Orlando and the biggest issue with those guys is 1 flight per day a couple of days per week and they just do not work out time wise.

I hear you about being close, we live less than 15 minutes from RDU (in Cary). We are finding reasonable last minute flights harder to come by. Luckily, most of our flights are covered with DH's FF miles :)

We haven't used Allegiant yet, but we like to do last minute trip to FL, so we will probably give them a try.

Archived