Sommelier Package

infohunter

While wandering around HAL's website I noticed a pdf about a Sommelier Wine Package. However couldn't figure out what it really includes and what the cost would be for our cruise. Figured I would contact ship services at some point but thought I would ask the group first about this.....

Any thoughts? Good deal?

Link to pdf on Hal's site https://www.hollandamerica.com/pdfs/onboard/Sommellie_Wine_Package_Flyer.pdf

Thanks for asking about this--I had never noticed it before. I've done some of the things mentioned, but only on an "a la carte" basis. If you get a discounted price for buying a package, it might make sense, but some of the items (e.g.the "regular" wine-tasting), have limited appeal to anyone beyond the beginner stage, IMO. The wine pricing on HAL seems to me to be more reasonable than the other lines I've sailed, but because you are allowed to bring on board your own wine, Champagne/sparkling wine, beer, and soda, you may still prefer to do that--although sailing from Rio may present some challenges (or opportunities, for the optimist!), in logistics.

Happy Cruising

but because you are allowed to bring on board your own wine, Champagne/sparkling wine, beer, and soda, ...

Correction---not beer. You may bring aboard wine, champagne, soda and water.

Yes I know about bringing wine aboard. We are hoping that we will be able to do some wine shopping pre-cruise. We love to experiment so are hoping to find lots of local wines to play with.

Just exploring all available options so we can make the best choices along the way.

As a rule, I've found that the wine packages aboard HAL are geared to the "entry-level" wine drinker, and would not be considered a prudent purchase by those who are interested in something more than the most basic "house" wines.

The two exceptions might be:

1) The "premium" wine tasting seminar, led by the ship's sommelier or beverage manager.

2) The wine dinner, held in the Pinnacle Grill, with a multi-course meal paired with a different wine at each course.

Both these events will be listed in your ship's program.

Those of us here would be glad to sign-on as your new Best Friends, but we notice your up-coming cruises are all Princess. I brought wine aboard on Princess, too, but I don't know about limits there.

I'd invite you to share a bottle on our up-coming Alaska cruises, but it seems Volendam will be shadowing Coral and Sapphire, not Sun--oh well, Cheers!

Archived