DaySails to Avoid?

kim_e83

I think it is rude and very unfair to accuse someone of having a drinking problem.

ALL reviews should be considered not ONLY the good ones.

You don't know if they drink rum punch or not, so why the sarcastic comment ? I don't see where the rum punch had anything to do with her complaint. She wanted beer.

The OP asked if anyone had a bad experience. Apparently NoNoNanette did. She stated her reasons.

Get a grip. When you are on a boat, on a public excursion, the Captain is responsible for your safety. The word from Capt. Pam is she cut them off after many rum punches and the five beers (each). Most tour operators won't even let you drink on board until after any water activities, and I think Pam may be leaning in that direction too, based on this case. When I asked for input I was looking for legitimate safety concerns, or related items. I'm not likely to put much stock in someone who is p***** off over being cut off the booze supply after having too many.:rolleyes:

They claim open bar. What if that person only wanted to go for the sail and open bar and do no water activities. There should be a better description of the tour if thats the case. So they only allow open bar for lunch and the 1 hour sail back. I can see where that is misleading.

RJ Heller I agree. I have seen some that advertise that drinks are for after snorkeling only but this one does not. Their site says open bar. You are right, not everyone snorkels. :) NNN was not the only person misled.

daWoods,

BYW, this was not the only person who did not like the Fantasy. If you do a search you will find more. One in particular was NOT booze related.

As far as most tour operators not having a drink before you snorkel, I have been on some that you can have a drink as soon as you board.

It makes no difference to me if someone believes a bad review or not. A person should be able to read them and make a decision. You don't have to accuse someone of having a drinking problem.

The OP asked if there were any bad. I answered.

You asked about the Fantasy. Maybe you should start your own thread since you were looking for safety concerns or related items whatever that is. The OP asked about bad and why.

Get a grip. When you are on a boat, on a public excursion, the Captain is responsible for your safety. The word from Capt. Pam is she cut them off after many rum punches and the five beers (each). Most tour operators won't even let you drink on board until after any water activities, and I think Pam may be leaning in that direction too, based on this case. When I asked for input I was looking for legitimate safety concerns, or related items. I'm not likely to put much stock in someone who is p***** off over being cut off the booze supply after having too many.:rolleyes:

This is something that has always concerned me. When people report that they have done a day sail and started out drinking alcohol from the get-go (for example, "We had Bloody Marys while pulling out of the harbor and unlimited rum punch/beer/mixed drinks all day"), including describing bobbing around in the water while drinking, I tell myself that we will stay far away from whichever tour operator is described. It is flat unsafe to drink alcohol and then go snorkeling and swimming in the ocean. A good tour operator holds off on the alcohol until after water activities. I am not a party pooper--After water activities, go for it. Enjoy rum punch, beer, mixed drinks, wine, whatever.

If we're on our own, we're responsible for our own safety. If we're on a day sail, the captain is responsible for the passengers' safety. Period. I have to wonder what other safety issues have been bypassed or minimized.

beachchick

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from the Jewel of the Seas, a wonderful cruise experience. The only excursion we planned was a full day snorkel with Capt Max.

Our full day sail with Capt Max was dissapointing, to say the least.

The cost for the trip, $125pp, plus transport to and from Red Hook is a $294 cost per couple. The sailboat was very nice, clean, and Capt Max and Julie were very informative about the surroundings while sailing to St John.

The full day sail (9:30-3:30) did include lunch, soft drinks, and alcohol on the trip back. We were served few beers amoung the 4 of us on the trip, on the sail back to Red Hook.

The snorkel was at Kaneel Bay area is where we sailed to, and after snorkeling in St Thomas/St John many times previously, this was not the best place we've snorkeled in the island.

The fish were not extremely plentiful at the first stop, the 2nd snorkel spot was for turtles and rays, we did see a few rays.

Lunch was a portion of poached chicken, pasta salad, fruit & cheese,

We have been on ship sponsored 1/2 sails before, and comparing this one we find 2 issues we have a real problem with for this tour operator;

First,

When the sailboat was stopped, we were told to swim to an area where we would see fish. This swim was pretty long and tiring across strong current, this was a very far swim. We were not offered life jackets nor were we instructed to wear any (we have our own vests, but were not asked to use them). Most disturbing, we were not given any instruction on what to do if we got into trouble in the water.

Capt Max and Julie stayed on the boat the entire time and were moored too far away to help if anyone got into trouble, nor did they instruct us on how to call to them if anyone was to need help.

Luckily for our group, the 4 of us on this trip were decent swimmers and experienced in the water, but in all of the trips I've been on, we always have had a representative in the water, either guiding us or having some communication with the boat operator on how to get help if needed while in the water, or assistance back to the boat if not feeling well.

Secondly, at the end of the trip, Capt Max collected payment. She gave a spiel on how the assistant Julie is deserved of at least a 20% of the price of the tour, in the form of a TIP! That would equate to $25pp for the 4 of us on this tour, $100 TIP for the 6 hours on the trip.

Considering she never got in the water to guide you to the reef, or any of the other things that a guide typically does we didn't find this to be a realistic expectation of this tour operator. Julie served lunch and brought you a beverage, other than that, she worked the sails with Capt Max, we already paid for that service, $125pp.

We decided to initially just give $10 per couple, $20 tip, more than what we typically would leave as a tip for lunch and a couple of beers.

When we handed the money to Capt Max, she blurted, 'you've got to be kidding', you have to give more $ than that. My DH pulled a $20 out and was going to exchange for the $10, since we needed the dingy ride back to the pier, then Capt Max grabbed the $20 and walked off with the $20 and the $10 and said 'that will do'. Since we still needed the dingy ride back to the pier, we sucked it up, feeling badly about how we were being extorted.

IMHO, this was amazingly rude. The literature should state that they demand a 20% add on so that you know what to expect as payment for the trip, that it is $150, not $125.

Had either Julie or Capt Max spent time in the water guiding us to the reef or made any attempt at making sure we were okay, or that we were seeing the underwater life we were paying to see on this trip, we might have felt that a larger gratuity was in order, but for the services rendered, lunch, water and a beer, demanding a $25pp tip was an unreasonable and greedy request, IMHO.

ricsue, I agree. You have every right to be disappointed with that kind of service, and the demand for more money. I'd like to hear from more people who have done this daysail activity, and hear about other boats and crews.

Here the ones I have heard good things about so far.....

Ike Witt Charters www.ikewitt.com

High Pockets www.sailhighpockets.com

Rumbaba www.rumbabacharters.com

Good luck!

Here's another great one that my husband and I were on last month.

We really enjoyed sailing on Island Girl and meeting owners Mike and Debi Stanton and we had a fantastic time "power snorkeling".

Mike has 6 or more SeaDoo machines on board. These are battery operated, torpedo shaped things that pull you through the water while you snorkel. They have 3 speeds and are very quiet. If you want to just let go and dive down they will float on the surface (although you can also point them down and dive with them).

We did a 1/2 day sail but had so much fun we wished we had booked a full day. Oh well, next time!

www.yachtadventures.biz/rates.htm

If for some reason the above website gets deleted, you can probably find them by googling St. Thomas/ sailing/ Island Girl. I think I originally found them by Googling.

Molly & Steve

We were with Rick & Sue on the Lou and we agree with what they have to say. Also want to point out that if you do a daysail, try and get one that leaves from town. Otherwise figure in another $20 pp RT to Red Hook. Because we were in Crown Bay, it was $22 pp RT plus tip so the 4 of us paid almost $100 for a cab that also had other people!!! Nice racket.

While we planned on tipping, the extortion for the tip really ruined a very lovely day.

Agree with you on the rudeness about the tip, and I am surprised that no one was in the water with you, or that they weren't at least just a short swim away. I'm also rather surprised that you weren't offered flotation. However, I can't understand why, if you bother to carry your own, you were upset that they didn't suggest you use them. That would seem to be up to you. We've done numerous private snorkeling excursions on various islands, carry all our own gear, including snorkeling vests, and don't wait for the tour operator to suggest we use them. I don't always use mine - depends on water conditions, and local laws (in Barbados it's mandatory), but it's up to me to make that determination.

By the way, we've used High Pockets in St. Thomas. It's a terrific day sail - we had a great day (and yes, they had flotation for those who wanted).

Capt Max emailed me, here is a copy

Hi Sue,

I read your review on cruise critic and was sorry to see how you felt

about tipping. I want to apologize for asking for a tip for Julie

but many folks don't understand that it is a service industry. I

can't imagine you going into a restaurant and having a diner for

@230.00 and not leaving a gratuity. And a restaurant meal is for and

hour or two. Julie waits on you all day long so I felt it was

appropriate to mention it.

In our industry the crew make their living off the gratuity as in any

service industry and I always mention it. You were not held ransom.

If leaving a gratuity offended you I am happy to return it.

Have nice New Year

Maxine Lavitt

Sailing vessel LOU

I guess Capt Max only reads the portion regarding the tip, not addressing anything about the service received, water/boat safety, etc. Interesting how she states 2 times that she 'mention's gratutity', she did not mention gratuity, she demanded it, and demanded 15-20%, that is a fact!

I again reiterate that everything I stated in my Cruise Critic review is factual and it is posted only to provide information for fellow cruisers that are comparing info on private sails, in helping them make a decision on whom to choose.

My reply to Capt Max is was the same as my statement my review of the day sail posted previously

• 2 weeks later...

Sue,

I appreciate the info on the "demanded" tip. As far as offering the vests, it should be mandatory whether you use them or not. It does speak to the safety precautions taken (or not taken) by this vendor. I am researching day sails for March, 08 and had considered this particular vendor...no more. I also posted a question regarding the tipping on such an excursion. Her reply to you was appalling only secondary to the boldness of asking for a certain percentage in the first place. It's good to know. She would have been out of luck with us because there's no way I would have carried $75 for 3 of us to tip a vendor that I just paid $375! If Capt Max is reading this board...don't assume that because people fork out a substantial sum of money to do your excursion, that they "should be" able to afford a 20% tip. A restaurant is different than a day sail. For some of us, this is a once in a lifetime trip. If you expect a gratuity, build it in to your price or tell people up front.

Thanks for your comments and the reason for my posting is just for this, so that others are aware that Capt Max will expect you to fork over the money and will boldly ask for it, as she believes it is 'owed.

Now, I have not sailed with Captain Max before, but I plan to in 3 weeks. I must say, I think she is getting a bad rap here. Every excursion I have went on either in the Caribbean or mexico, a tip was always asked for at the end in some manner. I dont think it matters what daysail you go on, a tip at the end is going to be expected. Now, if in fact Max did "demand" a tip, that isnt the most professional thing and i do find a little weird since when I spoke with her she seemed like a VERY nice person and I got the feeling she would go out of her way for us. I could be wrong, but I am expecting an unbelievable day with her! As for safety, you said you had your own life vests? I guess I would not have offered you a vest either if you already had one. I do think there should have been someone close by in case anything went bad. I have read MANY reviews of all the daysails including some very positive ones about Capt. Max. And in a few weeks I will let you all know how my day went. But a review is just that, an opinion of one persons account of what happened. It is good to hear, but remember not everyone is going to be happy or have the same reaction as the person reviewing. To completely dismiss a certain daysail because 1 group had a bad experience will limit you to just a few daysail charters who in my opinion just havent had that group yet. My opinion, and that is all it is, is read more reviews and take them all for what they are, you wont find any others saying bad about Max, trust me, I did alot of research before booking a daysail.

Now, I have not sailed with Captain Max before, but I plan to in 3 weeks. I must say, I think she is getting a bad rap here. Every excursion I have went on either in the Caribbean or mexico, a tip was always asked for at the end in some manner. I dont think it matters what daysail you go on, a tip at the end is going to be expected. Now, if in fact Max did "demand" a tip, that isnt the most professional thing and i do find a little weird since when I spoke with her she seemed like a VERY nice person and I got the feeling she would go out of her way for us. I could be wrong, but I am expecting an unbelievable day with her! As for safety, you said you had your own life vests? I guess I would not have offered you a vest either if you already had one. I do think there should have been someone close by in case anything went bad. I have read MANY reviews of all the daysails including some very positive ones about Capt. Max. And in a few weeks I will let you all know how my day went. But a review is just that, an opinion of one persons account of what happened. It is good to hear, but remember not everyone is going to be happy or have the same reaction as the person reviewing. To completely dismiss a certain daysail because 1 group had a bad experience will limit you to just a few daysail charters who in my opinion just havent had that group yet. My opinion, and that is all it is, is read more reviews and take them all for what they are, you wont find any others saying bad about Max, trust me, I did alot of research before booking a daysail.

I did alot of research too, that's why I expected more professionalism that what was received, and what prompted me to write the critique that I did.

I guess I should have expanded on the life vests, they were stored away in our snorkel bags, we did not take them out nor mention that we had them, and the crew did not ever ask if we had or needed vests. Every other water excursion we have been on, they usually demand that you wear theirs or your own. I should mention positively that we were offered a foam .99 cent pool noodle, which 3 of the 4 of us used.

I agree that often on excursions, tips are mentioned, however, not demanded, and certainly when handed a tip, not told 'you've got to be kidding', 'that's not enough' 'you have more money than that' by Capt Max. And if this is not her most important item on her list of Captain'ing, then you should particularly look at when she responded by email to my post on Cruise Critic, the only thing she chose to address was the tip. Not a word on the safety of her passengers in the water, nor the offering of life saving equipment, on the boat or in the water.

Although the tip was a negative in my posting, I though the safety issues would have been more important for a 'Captain' to address to me if she chose to send me an email.

I do hope you and other future passengers sailing with Capt Max do have the wonderful experiences you should expect for $125pp on your dream excursion. I am sincerely hoping Capt Max has listened to the comments here regarding safety of her passengers while in the water, and perhaps to suggest that tips are appreciated, and not demanding a 20% tip pp for all passengers on board, yielding the person helping her on the boat $150 for serving lunch and a drink perhaps during the 6 hr trip.

Why didnt you just ask to use life jackets, or for that matter, use the ones you brought? It seems to me your biggest complaint was the tip. Say what you will, I find it very hard to believe she demanded a tip and then said "youve got to be kidding me" I think your experience wasnt exactly what you were hoping for and now are blowing things out of proportion. I cant believe there are so many others who have loved going with Max, never a problem with her attitude towards her guests. As for safety, are you 100% positive all the other daysails provide life jackets, or do they supply aqua noodles also? As a business owner myself, I think Max made every effort to right things with you by offering your gratuity back, yet you continue to bash her. Its people like you that never seem to be happy that make life hell for others! If you were not happy with the excursion, fine, write your review and be done, but you continually attack Max in this post and others. People get it, you had to pay a tip and you didnt ask for life jackets. Whatever...go on being unhappy while the rest of us have a blast!

upon further review of many of the more popular daysails, all the photos show people in the water with noodles and not life jackets. I believe the noodles are much more common place on these daysails that life jackets are. So to single out one daysail excursion for this practice isn't necessarily the right thing to do either!

On the Rumbaba we were offerd any type of floatation device we wanted, from a life jacket, snorkel vest, noodle, and I beleive he had blow up rafts too. Some opted for the noodles, I find the water so salty that no device is needed

On the subject of tipping, our Daysail webpage clearly sets it out for you: https://www.stjohndaysail.com/bookin..._day_sail.html and this is helpful for non-Americans who sail. My group included 5 Brits. Tipping is anathema to them (although they are learning!) and to most Europeans who sail the Caribbean at the holidays (in Europe, it generally just isn't done), and tips certainly were not required or mentioned (although certainly proffered) on Daysails in Tortola, Barbados and St. Martin. I knew enough to collect the cash and build in the tip into the price a head of time. It may be the Caribbean, people, but it is still the USA!!! A 15% tip should be a no brainer.

Have been on day sails before, always someone nearby in the water, just in case. Safety always gone over when embarking on the sailboat as well as either mandatory or suggested life preserving equipment to be used.

Never have been mandated to give a 20% tip, tipping suggested certainly, but not demanded.

Believe what you want....this board is here for experiences to be shared....

Heller has had not experience with Capt Max, yet he already knows he is going to have the experience of his lifetime, must have some very strong ESP going there

My comments were posted to bring to light my experience which was not a happy one with Capt Max,

I hope that her future passengers will gain from my comments. Perhaps she will not make the rude comments made to us again knowing that these boards are for sharing of those types of experiences that make patrons unhappy. Perhaps too, she will re-consider sending clients out into the water without giving them any instruction on how to get help if they get into trouble in the water.

And....I did not take her up on her offer for the tip refund, since she obviously needs the $ more than we do.....by asking for it in the manner that she did.

Sue,

I wasn't commenting on your experience with Captain Max. I'm sure it's a cold day in daysail hell for her right now and so should be. :rolleyes:

These are just general rules I believe in. Tipping is, of course, not mandatory, just considerate. However, if you're not happy with the service, for whatever reasons, then you do what you feel is appropriate. My point is that pleading ignorance of tipping rules, particularly on an American island, and on any kind of private tour excursion is very much the "ugly American" or even just plain cheap. Tipping should always be according to location and the activity and services provided. If you felt nothing was done properly to your standards, then the appropriate response of a small gratuity is adequate and that is that. Otherwise, my suggestion for the future is that if you don't want to tipi then you should take ship tours or public transport.

Patrick

Heller has had not experience with Capt Max, yet he already knows he is going to have the experience of his lifetime, must have some very strong ESP going there

No, I have not been on with Capt. Max yet, like i said, I will in a few weeks, Will I have a great time? Absolutely! I will be with my wife and friends, what more could i ask for? I am not gonna worry about petty things. I thoroughly expect to tip, cause its the right thing to do, and a swim noodle is just fine with me, I probably wont even use that. You see, we are completely different people, I dont have time in life to worry about nonsense, if I am with family and friends, there is very little that can make this a bad day for me!

Does Capt. Max deserve bad business now, Heck no, because of one persons account for what happened, if it really even happened that way? C'mon people be realistic about this, What happened on this daysail is probably no different than what happens on 90% of them in St. Thomas. They all EXPECT a tip! She got a water noodle, but if she would have asked for a life jacket, there is no doubt in my mind, that is what she would have gotten, no different than any other daysail. I am happy to give my business to Capt. Max regardless if one group had a bad experience!

We will be sailing with Capt. Max late in March and are very much looking forward to it. No worries. I agree with everything RJHeller has said, and see no reason for for the ongoing badmouthing of Capt. Max. We all know what the bad experience was. It's over. We won't let it happen on our daysail, but we will have a great time on what appears to be a great classic sailboat with a fine and friendly capt. and crew. RJHeller, I know you'll have a great time. Let Capt. Max know that there are more of us with the same attitude coming along.

David

Archived