Best Port To Buy Amber?

A friend of ours who has lived in Copenhagen said that you can find Baltic Sea Amber in the shops on Stroet. We will be in Copenhagen in Sept. and planning on checking this out.

Perhaps you will post after your trip and let us know.

I rhink the best port for amber is Gdansk, especially on the side street that runs parallel to the main square to the right of the square as you enter. I can't remember the name of the street except that I think it began with M, . I will try and find if I wote it down somewhere but in the meantime maybe someone else can come up with the name. Anyway althought there is plenty of amber in Tallinn and Copenhagen too,even Warnemunde had some. I still think the best prices were in Gdansk and also they seemed to have a lot of different and handmade pieces on that side street.pj

Hi Flashman1,

Here is a website for you to look at.

http://reviews.ebay.com/Real-Amber-vs-Fake_W0QQugidZ10000000001825199

Yes we were told how to check it out. If it is fake it floats in regular water. We were in the Dominican Republic where there is a lot of amber and also took a Portable UV light with us. Here is an excerpt from the article above. "Density is measured in something called specific gravity. Regular amber often has a specific gravity of 1.05 to 1.10 (where 1 is the same as water). Copal looks similar, but has a lower specific gravity of 1.03 to 1.08. A specific gravity of above 1.0 will cause the object to sink in fresh water. While amber and copal will both sink in regular water, salt water has a higher density. Amber and copal will both float in salt water."

"...when ultraviolet light (UV) is directed on the amber, it will fluoresce. Common fluorescent colors are yellow, blue, green and orange. The intensity of the fluorescence can be different with different types of amber. Dominican Republic amber usually fluoresces blue. This is a simple test if you happen to have a black light. Just shine the black light on the sample and observe the 'shine'. " We were also told to rub the piece of amber and if it is real it gives off static electricity, while the plastic does not. When we purchased in DR, it was neat to find out that there is blue, green, and red amber as well which I didn't know. I had a ball shopping and brought back many pendants. We were able to pick out the amber we wanted to purchase and then the bails as well. It was so much fun!!

I have found the best rule is if the deal seems to good to be true, it probably is not. By the way, I purchased the portable UV light on e-bay a few years ago. It was about $12 dollars.

Hope this helps!

Terry

Yes you are right about amber being able to float but when it is in a setting you can't use that test.. I am interested to know how a uv light works to test amber. It sounds like a better method. Sometimes you just have to make your best guess and go with it.. pj

I agree that Mariacka street in Gdansk probably has the best selection of amber pieces and good prices. I would recommend actually going into the stores versus buying from the street vendors if you are looking for real amber!

That said, Talinn also has some nice shops with amber, and the prices weren't too different from Gdansk, so if you see something you really love, go ahead and buy it.

The amber will look fluorescent when you place a uv light under it. We purchased a small one which we took to the Dominican Republic with us. Also the static electricity test works well. Rub it up and down on your hair and see if your hair flies!!!

Terry

Hi Flashman1,

Here is a website for you to look at.

http://reviews.ebay.com/Real-Amber-vs-Fake_W0QQugidZ10000000001825199

Yes we were told how to check it out. If it is fake it floats in regular water. We were in the Dominican Republic where there is a lot of amber and also took a Portable UV light with us. Here is an excerpt from the article above. "Density is measured in something called specific gravity. Regular amber often has a specific gravity of 1.05 to 1.10 (where 1 is the same as water). Copal looks similar, but has a lower specific gravity of 1.03 to 1.08. A specific gravity of above 1.0 will cause the object to sink in fresh water. While amber and copal will both sink in regular water, salt water has a higher density. Amber and copal will both float in salt water."

"...when ultraviolet light (UV) is directed on the amber, it will fluoresce. Common fluorescent colors are yellow, blue, green and orange. The intensity of the fluorescence can be different with different types of amber. Dominican Republic amber usually fluoresces blue. This is a simple test if you happen to have a black light. Just shine the black light on the sample and observe the 'shine'. " We were also told to rub the piece of amber and if it is real it gives off static electricity, while the plastic does not. When we purchased in DR, it was neat to find out that there is blue, green, and red amber as well which I didn't know. I had a ball shopping and brought back many pendants. We were able to pick out the amber we wanted to purchase and then the bails as well. It was so much fun!!

I have found the best rule is if the deal seems to good to be true, it probably is not. By the way, I purchased the portable UV light on e-bay a few years ago. It was about $12 dollars.

Hope this helps!

Terry

Would strongley bet the plastic would pick up a static charge and the Amber not. Not the other way around.

Kleipede , Lithuania is the best and the most reasonable...but few ships go there now..too bad...

We went to Klaipeda on the Constellation in May. Like all of these places, there is plenty of Amber at reasonable prices. We found the selection in Gdansk , Tallinn and St Petersburg far superior to Klaipeda. Gdansk had the best prices. The highest quality amber jewelry was in Copenhagen, but very pricy.

It is doubtful that much of the amber in the baltic states is fake. Real amber is so plentiful, they can even find it on the beach. It probably costs more for them to find plastic!

Archived