HELP AGAIN! Orlando hotels this time.

Grandma B

We are on a cruise out of FLL next January, but plan to fly to MCO first to spend 4 days. I have been reading all the reviews on Trip Adviser and trying to decide the best area. We plan to go to Epcot Center & Magic Kingdom while there.

We also do not want to spend a fortune but still want a nice clean hotel. I am leaning towards the LaQuinta Inn Convention Center because of such good reviews. It is near Universal Studios, but we are not planning to go there. So they don't have a shuttle to Disney which means we would have to pay the parking fee everyday at Disney since we plan to have a rental car.

Do any of you have a suggestion for another hotel just as comparable in price, cleanliness, etc as the above that would have a Disney shuttle? I saw several under $100 but the reviews were so mixed and the LaQuinta above had mostly favorable reviews.

Any good suggestions?? Thanks so much.

Grandma B

If you are a AAA member, check out the onsite Disney hotels. Right now 2008 rates are not out, but this past year the All Star Resorts right on Disney property was $65.60 plus tax a night with a AAA rate. You won't need a car, pay for parking, etc. You will be able to use their transportation, take advantage of the extra magic hours for disney guest etc.

We like to stay at the Royal Plazza which is across the street from Downtown Disney. They always run great deals, we are staying in August and the 4th night is free with 2 free breakfasts. Tower rooms are $97 for our stay. But the only way you can book at these rates is by subscribing to the mousesaver newsletter and going thru their link. Just go to mousesavers web site and sign up for the newsletter. It is a really great hotel, just newly renovated, very large rooms.

If you're not planning to see Universal, Seaworld or any attractions on I-drive, DON'T stay in that area. You'll be looking at a 20+ minute drive (if you're lucky) every day TO Disney. There are plenty of hotels that are much closer, are within your price range, and offer free shuttles.

Go to Orbitz.com. Click on Hotels. Select your dates, then type in "Lake Buena Vista." This is the area you need.

Some to look at (these are January rates):

Comfort Suites Maingate: $89, free shuttle to Disney, Seaworld, Universal & free breakfast

Holiday Inn Sunspree Lake Buena Vista(great for kids): $90, free shuttle to Disney, kids under 12 eat free with paid adult purchase, Kid Suites w/ playrooms etc

Holiday Inn Express Lake Buena Vista: $117, free Disney Shuttles, free breakfast

Thanks everyone!

I'll check all these out. It is only the 2 of us & we're in our 60's, but we're still "kids" at heart. Would we still want these same hotels now that you know we won't have grandkids with us?

We are just trying to keep the cost not much over $100 a night since we are also staying in Ft Lauderdale 2 nights & still have money to spend on the cruise!

I did notice on Trip Advisor that there is Comfort Suites Maingate & also Maingate EAST. Is one better than the other? They do have mixed reviews...it's so hard to know on these reviews!

If any of you have stayed in these hotels, please let me know your opinions. Thanks again.

Thanks everyone!

I'll check all these out. It is only the 2 of us & we're in our 60's, but we're still "kids" at heart. Would we still want these same hotels now that you know we won't have grandkids with us?

We are just trying to keep the cost not much over $100 a night since we are also staying in Ft Lauderdale 2 nights & still have money to spend on the cruise!

I did notice on Trip Advisor that there is Comfort Suites Maingate & also Maingate EAST. Is one better than the other? They do have mixed reviews...it's so hard to know on these reviews!

If any of you have stayed in these hotels, please let me know your opinions. Thanks again.

If you don't want to be driving, try for the Allstar Resorts. They are on the Disney property and you can get a bus directly to the ports and they run all day.

Also, we have stayed at the Buena Vista Palace which is across the street from Downtown Disney where the buses run all day.

The other hotels you mention are are outside the Disney resort area.

The hotels I mentioned are fine for adults except the Holiday Inn Sunspree. It's directed toward youngins. I've stayed there, without children, but if you wanna escape kids don't stay here.

If you factor in eliminating gas and a rental car, then spending that $100 a night or slightly more isn't such a big deal. You'll find that hotels ON property at Disney will cost much more like the Palace (which isn't super nice for the price they charge: $200+ bucks a night). I was speakin' of the Maingate Comfort Suites, not the Maingate East.

The Value Reserts price of $65 is wonderfull. Just in case you are not aware of it, that includes the free tram around the disney property and you can get boats, not sure if they cost extra and be there for the fireworks at night. I think those rooms mentioned above have small kitchenettes. If I was going to spend the same money Id go for a value resort on the Disney property just to soak up extra disney.

We are about 10 years younger than you guys and Iv been reading about Disney and decided the next trip I plan we want to stay on the Disney property.

We have been making lists of Disney restaurants like Earl Of Sandwich which is about $4.95 for really large sandwiches and everyone raves over them.

Most people who stay off the Disney property are the ones with lots of kids who want their own private pool and to rent a house.

Iv already paid for a hotel this next trip, but next trip I really really want to stay on the Disney property just for the experience.

There are 3 value hotels that full price are $82, but glad to know you can get them thru AAA for $65, what a deal. True these are older resorts, but they sure look fun. All star sports, music and the other one and they have a very old Florida feel to them. I do hear they have full beds not queen, so if you need queen beds you have to move up to a moderate hotel.

check it out

http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12

WOW, Firefly....thanks for the info. I didn't even know there was such a neat Disney forum like that. I saved it to my favorites so now I can check it out everyday. I'm hoping that they will have their 2008 prices soon so that I can make a decision as to where to stay.

They say planning is half the fun of cruising, but I'm driving myself crazy because I want everything settled and still don't know what airline yet!!

Thanks again to all of you for your suggestions.

I just got a email on a special for $89 for Bahama Bay Resort and Spa, which is usually $200 a night which includes discounted spa prices and $10 upgrade. Can give you a link if you want. That forum also has a section for Orlando hotels, non disney as well and discussions of them.

I should have warned you, reading that site and looking at the on site pictures can be hazardous to your pocketbook, the pictures and descriptions make me want to stay there. I didnt find it until after I booked the Disney Magic for 2008, could have saved money, but now I found it, ... next time as they say I will be smarter.

If you're not planning to see Universal, Seaworld or any attractions on I-drive, DON'T stay in that area. You'll be looking at a 20+ minute drive (if you're lucky) every day TO Disney. There are plenty of hotels that are much closer, are within your price range, and offer free shuttles.

Go to Orbitz.com. Click on Hotels. Select your dates, then type in "Lake Buena Vista." This is the area you need.

Some to look at (these are January rates):

Comfort Suites Maingate: $89, free shuttle to Disney, Seaworld, Universal & free breakfast

Holiday Inn Sunspree Lake Buena Vista(great for kids): $90, free shuttle to Disney, kids under 12 eat free with paid adult purchase, Kid Suites w/ playrooms etc

Holiday Inn Express Lake Buena Vista: $117, free Disney Shuttles, free breakfast

We stayed at Comfort Suites Maingate. It was a good hotel (and sturdy as we survived Hurricane Jeanne there). However, one thing to consider with regard to the free Disney Shuttle - we were virtually the first pick up and the last drop off so we had a very lengthy drive in both directions as we collected/dropped off at other hotels. The following year we stayed at Springhill Suites and found that we saved a great deal of time in travel between the hotel and Diney. It was a short and inexpensive taxi ride. The hotel was very nice. Have fun at Disney.

Jennie

Archived