Waikiki Hilton options/opinions

ama-sam

DH and I carry a Hilton Honors card and have earned enough points to stay for free for two nights at a pre-cruise hotel - yeah! :D However, I am not sure which hotel to pick. The Hilton Hawaiian Village is NOT an option (I assume we do not have enough points), these three are:

1. Doubletree Alana Hotel Waikiki
  2. Emabassy Suites Waikiki Beach Walk
  3. Hilton Waikiki Prince Kuhio

Which would you choose and why? Better location, closer to the beach, construction noise, great perks, etc. I am sure any of the three would be lovely, but would love to hear from others on preferences.

Thanks, Ally

I think Spleenstomper is absolutely correct. I have a certificate for Rome Cavalieri Hilton and it is category 6 for 40,000 points. Call up the Hilton Honors # and they will give you the point charge. With Honors you sacrifice any freebe such as a continental buffet that a regular paying person might get. I just booked 2 nights for this summer at Hampton Inns in New England and it was a category 3 at 25,000 points/night. On the Hilton web site you can punch in Honolulu and check ALL hotels and it will list any Hilton hotel beside HHV in Honolulu. Log in to your Honors account on Hilton and it will give you your accumulated point activity.

John L.

If you can get the HHV, I would go for that. If not, the Embassy Suites is new and very well-located. It's part of the newly opened Waikiki Beachwalk complex and central to everything. While it's not oceanfront, it's very close to the ocean. If you like beer, there's Yardhouse, and if you want to try island fine dining, Roy's is a must.

Ally: Doubletree=Cat 5/35,000; Embassy=Cat 6/40,000 as well as Prince. I couldn't find the points on HHV towers but I'm sure they all are 40,000. Seems like a no-brainer to me unless you only have 35,000 points and your only choice is Doubletree. If you pick HHV and can swing it, you have a 50/50 chance of being ocean front which you don't have with the others.

John L.

HHV is 6/40K points. We weren't oceanfront, but we were fine with that because a) there is more to look at in a city view and b) we had a balcony on the POH so were going to have "oceanfront" for 7 nights. :D

HHV was dynamite! would stay there again in a heartbeat.......

The Doubletree does use 10,000 less points (we will be staying for 2 nights) - but that is not a deciding factor for me. We have over 80,000 and are ready and willing to use them! ;)

When we entered our info - rewards and travel dates - on the Hilton website, HHV was not an available option. I had been hoping for it, but it came up that it was unavailable - whether it was due to points or travel dates I am not sure. If that were to change, it is the hotel I would book!

I just wanted to know of the three options I do have, if anyone has a clear preference and why? I am leaning towards the Embassy Suites due to the nightly managers special and a cooked to order breakfast (which we have always gotten when we have used our points in the past), but if its location was the worst (far from the beach) or if there was a concern about it I would choose one of the other three based on a recommendation.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Ally

I haven't stayed at any of the 3 hotels that you list, I always stay at HHV. However, in March I did walk through the Embassy Suites and I did ask to see a room. This is not your "typical" Embassy Suite room. I felt a bit clautrophobic in the room, also there is a lot of construction going on around it.It is a little back from the beach, but you can easily walk. It may be a "new" hotel, but it is a refurbished older hotel.

My folks have stayed at the Prince Kuhio several times and enjoyed it. If you aren't going back to Hawaii any time soon, or this is your first trip, I would try and stay at HHV.

Archived