I purchased Alaskan wild king salmon online to get me revved up.

noodle

I am so silly, I have an entire year before our cruise to Alaska on the spirit. So, to tide me over, I ordered Alaskan Salmon over the internet to grill this weekend. Came with two cedar planks and a spice rub. Yes, I am a dork. I even subscribed to "Alaska" magazine, but have yet to get an issue...anyone else do lame things to keep them busy in anticipation of their next cruise?

Pride 02/15/04

Spirit 05/11/05

Let's see, at that price per lb--WOW

You interested in any prime "bottomland" or how bout a nice, seldom used bridge?

-LOL

Monte

some of my cruising photos:

http://community.webshots.com/user/m1bisson

A bad day cruising is better than a good day at work.

The worst cruise I ever took was pretty damned good.

Platinum with RCI, a couple cruises with NCL and 1 with CCL

Clock remove but cruise in Dec

Hi Noodle!

The salmon looks delicious and I'm sure that you'll enjoy it very much! I think, actually, that the price is fairly reasonable considering all that you get. Some people are willing to spend different amounts on different things. icon_smile.gif

You'll have to let us all know if it's worth it! Enjoy your grilling feast this weekend. I'm off now to look at what else they have for sale on that web page. There was some pretty good looking King Crab legs. icon_smile.gif

Jen

1st Cruise on Celebrity Mercury - Alaska 6/4/2004

Thanks Jen for the support. I was very sad about that last comment, but you are right, some people are willing to pay different prices for different things. Yes, I can get farm raised salmon for less money, which I do buy here at home. But, I just thought it would be fun to order the "experience." I won't be ordering at those prices all the time, but as a special treat it will fit into my budget.

The fish actually looks great, we haven't eaten it yet so I can't tell you about the taste, I'll have to report back. The package we ordered came with instructions on how to use the cedar planks and the spice rub. My inlaws are spending a few days with us (and will be on the cruise with us) so I thought we'd have an Alaska themed party. Again, I know I am a dork.

If you order the crab legs, let me know how they are.

Pride 02/15/04

Spirit 05/11/05

Come now, don't be touchy - it was meant in jest.

BTW-Cedar plank grilling is a fantastic way to do salmon & if you haven't yet had copper river salmon, they should be available soon and are great.

-Monte

some of my cruising photos:

http://community.webshots.com/user/m1bisson

A bad day cruising is better than a good day at work.

The worst cruise I ever took was pretty damned good.

Platinum with RCI, a couple cruises with NCL and 1 with CCL

Clock remove but cruise in Dec

Hey Noodle...I've just ordered some as well. I ordered the Cedar plank package for my father-in-law, his b-day is next Tues. And I ordered a pound of the white salmon for us. I had ordered Copper River for us but they were out of stock. So we'll give this a whirl.

Thanks for posting your original thread. I'll try to remember to let you know how it was.

12Cruise

Norwegian Star 06-27-04

12 cruise, I hope your father in law enjoys it. We used the package this weekend and it was a big success...everyone loved the salmon, and i did some store bought halibut as well, and everyone agreed that the fish was fantastic and the cedar added a wonderful flavor. The spice rub that comes with the package was very good also (spicy).

Only thing, we soaked the boards for 1 1/2 hours b/c the directions said soak for at least one hour...our cedar planks burned up...the fish was still good but the planks are not reusable as I think they are supposed to last for more than one use. I think if we soaked the planks for 4 hours or so, they would not have burned so much. We we having a lot of fun and laughing at the flames (squirting them out with a spray bottle filled with water), wondering where we went wrong.

We had a great alaska themed party and celebrated mother's day early (inlaws were in town this weekend). Hope you all enjoy yours.

Pride 02/15/04

Spirit 05/11/05

LOL! I was just wondering if the planks were reusable and then read your burning story! That is too funny. icon_smile.gif I suppose it's kind of a bummer too though since you did pay extra for those. Maybe if you really liked them, the company would send you new ones since you followed the directions?

Glad that you had a nice experience with the salmon though. icon_smile.gif Sounds like it was a blast!

Jen

1st Cruise on Celebrity Mercury - Alaska 6/4/2004

Noodle...thanks for the heads up on the soaking...I'll pass it on to the Birthday Boy!!

I've just tracked my order, it left Kenai, Ak at 9:42 am yesterday and Memphis at 3:46 this morning, I should have it by 3 pm today. Can't wait!!

I hope to have the White salmon for Friday nights dinner and will report on how it was....I don't know when my f-i-l will actually cook his cedar plank salmon but will report back when he does.

Thanks again!

12Cruise

Norwegian Star 06-27-04

FYI - We had the White Salmon Friday night for dinner. I sauteed it with garlic, olive oil, a bit of butter and lemon juice. It was Fantastic!! It was extremely mild and smooth. The meat of the salmon was just wondeful.

I will reorder, for special occassions, in the future. And now can't wait to actually have meal of salmon while we are in Alaska.

Thanks again Noodle for posting originally and have a great time on your cruise to Alaska.

12Cruise

Norwegian Star 06-27-04

12cruise - I am so glad you enjoyed the salmon. I have never had white salmon and am curious now.

Our cedar planks were a little too charred to eat and might cause some digestion problems, but maybe next time. icon_wink.gif

Pride 02/15/04

Spirit 05/11/05

Actually this thread reminded me that one of my sons had given me several years ago a cedar plank that come enclosed in a steel frame. You use the whole thing to cook fish, checken, red meat etc. It's made by Chinook Plank out of Seattle. Any way we had not used it in some time(actually had sort of forgotten about it) so I got it out last night and cooked some wild salmon last night that was great!!

www.geocities.com/warrnhu/wars/knight8.gif

Cunard Princess 9/83

Big Red Boat 10/95

Conquest 3/03

Spirit 8/04

rduke,

Do you soak it before using it? I am curious b/c now I love the cedar plank grilling technique, as did my husband...we just need to improve our skills. But practice will surely make perfect, right icon_biggrin.gif

Pride 02/15/04

Spirit 05/11/05

I purchased a plank, or rather it looks more like a cutting board, in Skagway last summer and have used it over and over. Just keep it coated with olive oil. It has steel rods that you tighten now and then to keep it together. It is wonderful and I recommend it as one of the next best items to purchased in Alaska to that of the Ulu knife (which I also use all the time!) Going back this summer and plan to purchase them as Christmas gifts, plus another one for me. I think I paid about $30 for it.

Sandra

Noodle- just look at www.chinookplank.com and you can learn all and more than you probably want to know. No you do not soak it, you condition it by using a small amount of olive oil. I really don't think you could burn this one up if the directions are followed at all!@!

www.geocities.com/warrnhu/wars/knight8.gif

Cunard Princess 9/83

Big Red Boat 10/95

Conquest 3/03

Spirit 8/04

Archived