Warnemunde

sej67

In Warnemunde I would like to take a tour for 8 hours or so, but I don't want to do a Celebrity tour because they are too expensive. I also don't want to do it on my own - too much trouble. In the Warnemunde port are there lots of vendors offering bus tours? Do they go to just Rostock or other towns within an hour or so?

My family and I booked Berlin Walks for an all day tour - we can't rave enough about the decision to go with them (rather than the ship tour or renting a car). Our driver picked us up in a van at the Warnemunde port at 7 am (immediately after docking and avoiding any of the other cruise tours). We arrived at the Charlottenburg Palace in Berlin at 9:15 am where we met our very knowledgeable tour guide, Sarah.

We were able to tour the Reichstag (recommend reservations at the roof top restaurant to avoid the long lines - must be done months in advance), the Pergamon museum, the Museum at Checkpoint Charlie, the Jewish Museum, the new Holocaust memorial, as well as walk Unter den Linden from the Brandenburg Gate to Museum Island, etc.

With the van, they were also able to show us the Tiergarten, Kudamm and surroundings, The Wall, and Charlottenburg Palace and teach us in depth what we were seeing. Her knowledge far surpassed my Rick Steves' guidebook for Berlin.

We were exhausted but left Berlin by 6 pm and arrived in Warnemunde at 8:15 pm (I believe he averaged about 150 km/hour on the autobahn). Our driver was also kind enough to drive us around and show us the town of Warnemunde as we had time to spare until the ship departed. We loved seeing Warnemunde as well, and were taken with its charm.

The price for the day was around $1300 plus tips- but was the same price whether we had 3 or 6 passengers (up to the number of passengers the van could hold in addition to the driver and tour guide). We were pleased with this tour and highly recommend BerlinWalks to all Warnemunde cruisers. We also highly recommend Sarah (our tour guide - can't remember her last name). She also took us to a wonderful German restaurant on Unter den Linden - delicious and reasonably priced - in a basement restaurant near Bebelplatz (can't remember the restaurant's name either).

Archived