Bayonne, NJ cruise port transfer

Aggie71

We are sailing on Explorer on Sept 14, 2007. We found a Best Western Newark West, $99/nt, but had hoped to find a hotel that would pick us up at the airport & also take us to the port. BW will do it, but the room will cost an extra $56 for the night (for 2 people)! That seems extreme, but they said there is traffic, etc. Is it far to the port? I tried a few van services & struck out because either they don't service the pier, the airport, the hotel, or they are to expensive. We are all taking different flights to Newark so have to get to the hotel separately. But there are 9 of us going to the ship. And on the return 7 of us need to go to the airport & 4 are staying over. Any suggestions? Maybe a different hotel? The RCCL transfers are $30pp each way.

Thanks for suggestions.

We are sailing on Explorer on Sept 14, 2007. We found a Best Western Newark West, $99/nt, but had hoped to find a hotel that would pick us up at the airport & also take us to the port. BW will do it, but the room will cost an extra $56 for the night (for 2 people)! That seems extreme, but they said there is traffic, etc. Is it far to the port? I tried a few van services & struck out because either they don't service the pier, the airport, the hotel, or they are to expensive. We are all taking different flights to Newark so have to get to the hotel separately. But there are 9 of us going to the ship. And on the return 7 of us need to go to the airport & 4 are staying over. Any suggestions? Maybe a different hotel? The RCCL transfers are $30pp each way.

Thanks for suggestions.

Taxi from the airport to the port will run about $35.00 plus tip. Taxis in NJ are VERY expensive. Here are the taxi rates around NJ. http://www.secaucustaxi.com/taxicabrates/newarkairporttonjtowns.htm

There have been many discussions on this board recently about hotels/motels in and around Newark airport. Since it appears you only need accommodations for overnight, the Best Western will meet your needs.

Please be aware that this is a pretty old hotel and there is no place to eat (other than very expensive hotel food) WITHOUT getting a taxi or paying to take the hotel shuttle to Jersey Gardens Outlet Mall. The hotel is in a very industrial area. There is a continental breakfast in the morning. There is a restaurant on premises, but it is open very strange hours. And it is EXPENSIVE.

If I may offer a suggestion: First person to arrive at the airport-rent a van. Hotel will shuttle everyone to the hotel from the airport for free. But you will have no place to get something to eat without paying for transport. The diner down the street from the hotel usually closes about 6:00PM. If you rent one of the 9 passenger vans, you have relatively cheap transport. Otherwise, get a mini van and make two trips for food. You also have transport for last minute shopping, etc. The "driver" can take everyone to the port in the morning, then return the rental van to the airport. Still have to pay either RCCL for the transfer to the ship or take a taxi for the "driver". But renting the van solves some of the transport problems for a relatively reasonable price.

Hotels, hotel food, and transport in NJ are priced about twice what California hotels/transport are.

Thank you for your prompt reply. Do you have any other suggestions for the hotel? 4 people will be there for 3 nights, 2 people will be there for 2 nights & 3 people will be there for 1 night. No one wants to rent a car for that much time. The idea is good so we can get food, etc, but we don't want to drive & don't really want the hassle of the return. Seems like $99 or $155 is a decent rate including transfers to the pier. Where would I find more info on the boards? I am new to this subject & don't know where the discussion is.

Thanks.

Thank you for your prompt reply. Do you have any other suggestions for the hotel? 4 people will be there for 3 nights, 2 people will be there for 2 nights & 3 people will be there for 1 night. No one wants to rent a car for that much time. The idea is good so we can get food, etc, but we don't want to drive & don't really want the hassle of the return. Seems like $99 or $155 is a decent rate including transfers to the pier. Where would I find more info on the boards? I am new to this subject & don't know where the discussion is.

Thanks.

If people are going to be there more than just overnight (place to sleep before the cruise) PLEASE don't stay at the Best Western. There is NOTHING to do around there. You will be essentially "STUCK" unless you want to take the hotel shuttle (for pay) to Jersey Gardens Mall. And how many days do you want to go to a shopping mall??? What do the people that are going to stay three days plan on doing for three days??? Or even two??? To visit NYC, you will have to get BACK to the airport (or pay the hotel to shuttle you to NJ Penn Station), then take AirTrain to Penn Station, then transfer to NJ Transit/PATH to get into NYC. Please think about ALL the expenses/scenarios before you buy a motel based on price alone. As I posted before, one night before a cruise, Best Western is OK. Other than that, forget it.

You will have to decide-hotel cost vs convenience to transport for food/sightseeing, etc.; hotel cost vs rental cars/van for transfer to the pier. I am sure the $99.00 rate does NOT include transfer to the pier.

Here are three threads with info on hotels in the same general areas.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=541897

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=575411

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=572827

The people who will be staying 3 nights will be there for 2 days. They plan to spend an entire day at Ellis Island & Statue of Liberty. Not sure what their other day is for, but I don't think it's NYC. They planned to get the free shuttle to the airport & go from there. They all are seniors (65) & would get senior disounts on some transportation. The people who are staying 2 nights would also be visiting Statue of Liberty on their 1 day. And go to the airport to get transportation. The hotel did say they could Pay to use the shuttle, but it sounded like there would be 1 fee & all 4 or 6 could go together. I should check on that. We are just coming in the night before with 1 other person.

The $99 rate is for the earlier nights. The $155 rate is to get transfer to the pier & then supposedly we get taxi vouchers to return either to the hotel or to the airport, our choice. So we figured $56 is the transfer cost for 2 people (plus tips) & that is way cheaper than RCI, plus we don't need to go back to the airport to get the transfer. We could get taxis from whatever hotel we stay in, but 9 people makes 3 taxis or a van & taxi & none of us are related, just traveling from CA.

I think I need to check out different hotels. Dang it, this was too good to be true. We won't need to eat because we will get in at 10 or 11pm, but the others who come earlier will need to find restaurants.

Thanks again.

I thought I had copied a site that greatam had supplied to me in a post quite a while ago! DRAT! Didn't work..:rolleyes:

Try http://www.hotel-guides.us for a site that secures hotels for groups of 5 or more rooms.. The hotels 'bid' for your business :)

Request what you are looking for, number of nights required, and PRESTO! Works like a charm..:p You can then contact hotels and 'talk' to the person who submitted the quote! Give it a try! Pretty much solved my problems..;)

Archived