Getting off the ship at ports!

travgurl

After reading information shared on these boards, I am getting really nervous about getting off the ship where we tender to get our excursions not scheduled through the ship on time. Any recommendations?

We are traveling to Cozumel, Belize, Costa Maya and Nassau.

if you are tendering, just get to the general tender lounge a/s/a/p to collect a ticket for the first tender-- don't wait for an announcement. if you are not tendering, just get ready to go early so you are ready to debark when the ship is cleared.

At each port - the ship will announce what time the ship is leaving - just allow yourslef plenty of time to be back on the ship before that time.

We always get back at least 1/2 hour before the time they suggest.

Out of the ports you gave - Belize is the only one I would take a ship tour.

Good Luck and enjoy!

I have read that some people missed their excursion because it took so long for them to get off the ship when they had to tender. I think I will just get to the tendering area early to get a group ticket.

At each port - the ship will announce what time the ship is leaving - just allow yourslef plenty of time to be back on the ship before that time.

We always get back at least 1/2 hour before the time they suggest.

Out of the ports you gave - Belize is the only one I would take a ship tour.

Good Luck and enjoy!

Just curious, why would you suggest doing a ship excursion in Belize? Any particular reason? We (family) did the cave tubing in Belize with a private company (booked once we got off the ship), left immediately went tubing and finished at the same time as the ship excursion. Added bonus the photographer thought we were with the carnival group so we got professional pictures of it. Pretty cool.

We had a bad experience in Cozumel, I'd recommend doing a ship excursion there. We paid a taxi driver to take us to this "wonderful beach" with lounge chairs, umbrellas, water trampolines and climbing walls. We get there and have to pay a fee to get into the beach (which he failed to tell us). We go in and start picking out lounge chairs and umbrellas only to find out that we have to rent them 5 bucks each (for a lounge chair and umbrella). The beach was horrible and verrrry rocky and brown muddy water. I almost cut my foot trying to swim out to the trampolines. Guess what you have to pay to use the water toys too. My uncle then had to go to the bathroom $5 and then 25 cents per square of toilet paper. @@

Needless to say I was quite disappointed with Cozumel, very disappointed with how the beach operated we left. Oh and the driver left us so we had to pay another driver to take us back to the ship. By that time I was so exhausted I just went back to my cabin and crashed until dinner.

But to the original poster, just follow your gut. If you'd feel better booking an excursion with the ship than do it. I personally like to save when I can so I tend to book with the local companies, they seem to be more knowledgeable about the place itself anyways. Just relax and above all have fun.

Belize is a wonderful place. We booked with an independent tour guide and were able to do both the Cave Tubing, Zip Line tour, had a fantastic lunch and still beat the regular Carnival tour back with plenty of time to walk around the pier looking in the little shops waiting on the tender.

With the internet today - there is a ton of information at your finger tips. Just like these boards. I search and research.

ShanteS - I am sorry you had a bad time in Cozumel - I have always had a great time. Sounds like you just got a bad beach area.

My reason for ship tour in Belize - is that the ship tours get the first tenders. You only have to tender once. I get on the tender and get off at my beach. If you book your own tour - you have to take the ship tender to the dock and then tender again once you get your guide (usually) depending on what tour you take. I don't want to spend anymore time in getting to my destination than necessary. I was thinking of beach tour. - -

Follow your gut feeling - but do plenty of research. Web sites and boards like this are amazing!

We had a bad experience in Cozumel, I'd recommend doing a ship excursion there. We paid a taxi driver to take us to this "wonderful beach" with lounge chairs, umbrellas, water trampolines and climbing walls. We get there and have to pay a fee to get into the beach (which he failed to tell us). We go in and start picking out lounge chairs and umbrellas only to find out that we have to rent them 5 bucks each (for a lounge chair and umbrella). The beach was horrible and verrrry rocky and brown muddy water. I almost cut my foot trying to swim out to the trampolines. Guess what you have to pay to use the water toys too. My uncle then had to go to the bathroom $5 and then 25 cents per square of toilet paper. @@

Wow -- that's terrible!!!! The first time I was in Cozumel we took the Carnival excursion on a party boat (can't remember the name of it) and we went to that beach. We thought it was wonderful! We didn't have any of the extra charges you had coming on your own. The water was clear and beautiful. I wonder if the storms that have gone through there the past few years screwed up the bottom and the water and the beach. If so, that's a shame -- we had a great time! So sorry about your bad experience.

Wow -- that's terrible!!!! The first time I was in Cozumel we took the Carnival excursion on a party boat (can't remember the name of it) and we went to that beach. We thought it was wonderful! We didn't have any of the extra charges you had coming on your own. The water was clear and beautiful. I wonder if the storms that have gone through there the past few years screwed up the bottom and the water and the beach. If so, that's a shame -- we had a great time! So sorry about your bad experience.

Yea that's what I heard, alot of people realy enjoyed Cozumel. I had friends from St. Louis I met on the Miracle and they had a ball in Cozumel. Explored the entire island on mopeds or something like that. Unfortunately we just got a crappy tour guide/driver. I assumed the beach was like that because of the storms etc. I'm sure I'll have a great time whenever I go again. Experience is the best teacher. :)

Archived