Friends of Dorothy/Bill W.

ladyamazon

Don't feel silly. I think it was our 3rd cruise before I found out what Bill W is. I just thought it was an uncanny coincidence that he was on both of our previous cruises and had so many friends that he had announcements in the daily newsletters. Bill W is a polite way of announcing AA meetings. You can appreciate how difficult it must be if you are a recovering alcoholic on a cruise ship, especially Carnival. I have never asked about Dorothy, but I recall someone on our May cruise on the Victory saying it had something to do with substance abuse meetings or people who had eating disorders (another serious problem on a cruise ship). Hopefully someone else can help you regarding Dorothy.

Don't feel silly. I think it was our 3rd cruise before I found out what Bill W is. I just thought it was an uncanny coincidence that he was on both of our previous cruises and had so many friends that he had announcements in the daily newsletters. Bill W is a polite way of announcing AA meetings. You can appreciate how difficult it must be if you are a recovering alcoholic on a cruise ship, especially Carnival. I have never asked about Dorothy, but I recall someone on our May cruise on the Victory saying it had something to do with substance abuse meetings or people who had eating disorders (another serious problem on a cruise ship). Hopefully someone else can help you regarding Dorothy.

Friends of Dorothy can be lots of different folks, but mostly GLBT and other folks who just want to get together casually, it's not as specific as Friends of Bill W.

friends of bill wis a non religious alcoholics meeting and friends of dorothy is for Gay and lesbian people to meet others onboard and socialize.

now on the other hand from the two I am thinking of petioning cruise lines for the friends of Zone meetings, where people can get together have a drink and maybe find some one to socialize with.

oh wait these meetings are held everytime two or three people are in a public forum where alcohol is served..my bad!

but still would be nice to have my name coincided with it. :D

I have never asked about Dorothy, but I recall someone on our May cruise on the Victory saying it had something to do with substance abuse meetings or people who had eating disorders (another serious problem on a cruise ship). Hopefully someone else can help you regarding Dorothy.

Just a small correction about "Friends of Dorothy." It has nothing to do with eating disorders or substance abuse. In fact it is not a support group in any way, shape or form.

Friends of Dorothy meetings on ships are held so that gay people can meet each other and hang out for the week. Nothing more to it than that.

For the history of the "code" name it was used years and years ago for gay people to find each other. One would ask are you a friend of dorothy? And no it isnt in reference to the wizard of oz. lol. But if you are bored you can google the term.

Great question op. :)

Thanks Cruisin Ron for the info about Friends of Dorothy. It makes a whole lot more sense than the explanations that I heard on the Victory (from strangers). Good thing to know so I won't repeat the wrong information if I am ever asked.

Thanks Cruisin Ron for the info about Friends of Dorothy. It makes a whole lot more sense than the explanations that I heard on the Victory (from strangers). Good thing to know so I won't repeat the wrong information if I am ever asked.

It's all good. Always glad to help! Heck you can even show up and still have a good time. We dont exclude anyone! :D

I just know that I am going to feel silly, but what or shall I ask "who" are Bill W. and Dorothy?

Don't feel silly. I wondered the exact same thing on our first cruise, when I saw that in the ships daily bulletin.

Friends of Bill W. are recovering alcoholics, and hold meetings on the ship to avoid the obvious temptations of so many bars and lounges.

Friends of Dorothy are people from the GLBT community (Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender) who are traveling on the ship and would like to meet with one another .

BnB

the first time I went on a cruise, I read a lot of cruise guide books with sample programs (pre-internet) I noticed Bill W. had lots of friends and was on every ship! I envied how rich he must be and how popular, too.

Now that I'm in AA with 9 years sober, I love Bill W. meetings on board! It's not just about avoiding temptations, it's also nice to meet others who don't drink and that you automatically have something in common with. (much the same as the friends of Dorothy meetings which my sister really enjoys)

Welp until recently I knew friends of Bill W was AA and I had assumed that friends of Dorthy was the female version of AA--until I read a blog about the Gay and Lesbian cruise on the Freedom of the Seas that was recently on the home page of CC--I really got an education there :D Wow! they really had a good time on that cruise.

the first time I went on a cruise, I read a lot of cruise guide books with sample programs (pre-internet) I noticed Bill W. had lots of friends and was on every ship! I envied how rich he must be and how popular, too.

Now that I'm in AA with 9 years sober, I love Bill W. meetings on board! It's not just about avoiding temptations, it's also nice to meet others who don't drink and that you automatically have something in common with. (much the same as the friends of Dorothy meetings which my sister really enjoys)

Great job on being sober for 9 years!!!:D

Archived