Hawaiian culture and crafts cutbacks on NCLA Pride of Aloha

ibmama2

My 15 y.o. granddaughter and I just returned from the June 24th-July 1st PRIDE OF ALOHA cruise. For us, some of the best experiences we had were courtesy of Kaveka, the onboard Hawaiian culture expert. We found out that some craft and class offerings have already been cut back by the cruise line. What a shame! Kristie absolutely loved ribbon lei making and his kikui nut classes were jammed. The passenger hula dancers, taught by him, were wonderful. He was unfailingly charming and informative.

On a cruise to Hawaii, the more that one can be in contact with the culture, the better the experience. We think this is a serious problem that should be corrected by NCLA. For example, we would have loved a performance of Hawaiian myths, not the hyped shore Luau experiences. :(

My 15 y.o. granddaughter and I just returned from the June 24th-July 1st PRIDE OF ALOHA cruise. For us, some of the best experiences we had were courtesy of Kaveka, the onboard Hawaiian culture expert. We found out that some craft and class offerings have already been cut back by the cruise line. What a shame! Kristie absolutely loved ribbon lei making and his kikui nut classes were jammed. The passenger hula dancers, taught by him, were wonderful. He was unfailingly charming and informative.

On a cruise to Hawaii, the more that one can be in contact with the culture, the better the experience. We think this is a serious problem that should be corrected by NCLA. For example, we would have loved a performance of Hawaiian myths, not the hyped shore Luau experiences. :(

Do you happen to know specifically what was cut? The classes you mentioned were offered on our Star cruise 2 years ago, but I don't remember what was offered on POAm last year. These are 2 different cruises though - one had the longer trip to Fanning Island, the other was NCLA. I agree, the Hawaiian Ambassador onboard these ships is a wonderful touch!

On our Pride of Aloha cruise in April I was surprised when I showed up for kukui nut lei making class and you had to purchase the basic supply package. I have done these Hawaiian cruises several times and this is the first time there has been a charge. I understand the charges for the fancier kits. But, it was $5 for the basics. This is the one craft class that my husband enjoys...in fact, this lei making class has had many husbands enjoying it!! We decided not to make the nut lei on this cruise....just the principle of it all.

Archived