Question for Yukon on temps

gonnago

I have just been looking at several weather websites for Alaska. It seems that the towns in Inside Passage have cooler temps now than Anchorage & Fairbanks. And avg temps for those locations point to this possibility, too.

Is this true most of the spring/summer and will probably be the same kind of thing the end of May and first of June?

"...First-time cruiser who is very, very excited....thanks to all of you!"

The coastal ports do have a smaller range of temperatures though the year, being moderated by the ocean. That translates to cooler in the summer, warmer in the winter than places inland. The temperature variation can be quite extreme over a short distance in the winter, with Skagway at times being 60 degrees warmer than Carcross, 50 air miles away. In the summer the difference only reaches about 15 degrees - for example if it's 85 in Carcross Skagway will probably be around 70.

Murray

Thanks for your detailed explanation. This will help me plan for packing. We will be on Inside Passage and then travel from Seward to Fairbanks and in between. So, it may be warmer inland the first week of June than what we'll need onboard the cruise and in the four towns.

I appreciate your helping all of us down here in the lower 48. icon_smile.gif

"...First-time cruiser who is very, very excited....thanks to all of you!"

Bring shorts and wear layers, temps in Alaska can change on a dime. Today in Fairbanks it's 67 degrees F. icon_smile.gif We are very happy!

Temps are always changing here like the first week of August in 2002 it was over 100 F, then last year it was cold, around 50 F and rainy. You can never tell. icon_smile.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2004;9;5;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

9/04 Pride Second Anniversary, First Honeymoon!

• 3 weeks later...

I have been watching the weather in Alaska for the last several days and I have a question for you who live in Alaska.

Is the weather a bit on the warm side for this time of year, or is this a normal year. Here in KY we are having July weather in May...no Spring, just Summer temps now.

"...First-time cruiser .. ready to leave on May 28th. Thanks to all of you for all your help and advice!"

Interesting .... Here in Colorado, we are running 15 - 20 degrees above average for this time of year. Seems like we went straight from shoveling snow to 80 degrees.

I am reading Charles Wohlforth's new book -- The Whale and the Supercomputer -- about climate change and its effect on Arctic weather. Very engaging writer -- makes the topic very interesting. It sure does seem like temperatures are significantly warmer all over the country (and world, probably!).

Same here in San Diego. In April we had 105 degrees, about 30 degrees above normal. May is usually called "May Gray" - we've had warm, sunny weather and the ocean is as warm now as it usually gets in August. If this keeps up, the summer could be HOT. Looking forward to Alaska cool - we leave tomorrow.

Archived