Digital Cameras Again!

If you use re-chargables, buy NiMH type in the 2500 - 2700 mAH range. Ni-cad re-chargables will not last as long. The higher the mAH rating the longer the battery will hold a charge. I get a week (about 750-1000 shots) off one charge in an Olympus SP500UZ that we use daily for documentation work on a gov't contract that we have.

Agreed. Or, if you don't use it too often, maybe the Eneloops rechargeables; they'll hold a charge longer when not in use than regular NiMH rechargeables.

I got a Canon G7 Powershot for Christmas and I love it. It has so many more features than my point and shoot Kodak. But I agree with others here that the batteries are a little more inconvenient. Right now I just recharge my camera every few days and it's been fine we did a cruise and WDW in March with no problem. But I would Hate to be walking through WDW and have my batteries die on me.

If you go to my Freedom Webshots album, they are a mix of DW's 720SW and my Panasonic Lumix camera. However all the shots on Grand Cayman were taken with the 720SW and the pics in the Freedom's H20 pool were taken with the 720SW.

I agree that the 720SW, like most lightweight and small P&S cameras, is not the camera of choice for dark, hard to read areas, especially with few manual overrides available. All the available light pics in my albums were taken with the big Lumix with optical stabilization and an eyepiece where my head became the defacto tripod. The big screen in the back is useless in these situations as there is too much camera shake with the longer exposures and the eyepiece jammed against my face steadies the camera.

Have a Nikon Cool Pix that works great for me. Uses Lithium, AA and AA Rechargeable. Its one of the old style with a viewfinder which is essential on sunny days in the tropics. I have used it in Europe, all over the US, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. I carry a spare Lithium battery and have always been able to find them if I need one but could always find the AA in a pinch (only once so far).

It fits very nicely in my shirt or pants pocket and since I am not shooting for a Pulitzer Prize in Photography, I suppose I will have it until it finally crumps from a deluge or falling overboard.:D

Cheers

If you go to my Freedom Webshots album, they are a mix of DW's 720SW and my Panasonic Lumix camera. However all the shots on Grand Cayman were taken with the 720SW and the pics in the Freedom's H20 pool were taken with the 720SW.

Your pic's are amazing. Thanks for posting them! Do you like your 720sw aside from the low light situations you mentioned?

Big Booper ~ FYI .... In your pics.....Samantha is learning to scuba dive NOT snorkle....... she has a bcd (bouyancy control device) and an air tank on. These are used for scuba (self contained underwater breathing apparatus).

Your pic's are amazing. Thanks for posting them! Do you like your 720sw aside from the low light situations you mentioned?

Since it only has the big screen in back, it can be hard to use in bright sunshine. There you leave it at wide angle and hope ;) . It is a good p&s camera that is rugged. I like to do a lot of low ambient light, available light shots, which you can see by looking at the albums, and no light p&s will do that job. However the 720SW is great for taking into iffy situations, such as to the beach or where both hands are needed for hiking, etc. There the big blunderbuss camera swings on the neckstrap too much.

The 720SW has no manual focus and few overides and is not good for shooting fast moving objects such as a bird that is swooping. I would guess that most p&s lightweights have those limitations. Aside from that it is a fine p&s that is rugged and can survive underwater. And the new 770SW is even stronger.

Big Booper ~ FYI .... In your pics.....Samantha is learning to scuba dive NOT snorkle....... she has a bcd (bouyancy control device) and an air tank on. These are used for scuba (self contained underwater breathing apparatus).

SCUBA is right, and they didn't even use that segment in the Freedom show. DW and I used both cameras to shoot those pics.

Archived