Revised Princess Passage Contract

cherylandtk

I would have to think that the drunk couple who went overboard in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico off the Grand Princess last March influenced the Princess's attorneys thinking. The girl was 20, the man was 22. One legal, one not. Lots of inquiries and forms to fill out about how, where and from whom she got her liquor. Not too many questions about the guy and his liquor. (Not saying this new policy will change the level of drunk people doing stupid things--just that it makes it less responsibility for Princess to assume if they do)

Under the new rules - this couple could still sail:

Passengers under the age of 21 years must be accompanied by a Passenger 21 years or older who shall assume responsibility for their care during the cruise.

Many other lines say someone under the age of 21 must be accompanied by someone over 25. Princess didn't go this far.

I can see both sides. I will start out saying I'm mid 50's so no axe to grind, also my kids are both over 21.

When I was 20, I was in the Navy & was a 3rd Class Petty Officer responsible for some expensive small boats. I would resent not being able to go on a cruise without someone over 21 going with me. But the older me is kinda glad that one has to be over 21 to go without a 21 year old.

Enough with the effort to stop 18 to 20 year olds from traveling on thier own. If it is okay for a 18-20 year old to go off to college on thier own, they are old enough to travel on thier own. If an 18 year old is old enough to go into the army, fight for this country and vote, why aren't they old enough to travel without a parent with them. It is a double standard.

......they can travel without a parent under 18........just not on Princess.....because Princess has made a business decision not to allow it until they are 21...Everyone can get on their soapbox about whether it is right......but Princess is justified to make a business decision regarding this issue....;)

Under the new rules - this couple could still sail:

Passengers under the age of 21 years must be accompanied by a Passenger 21 years or older who shall assume responsibility for their care during the cruise.

As a couple, yes they could have still sailed together under the new rules. But they were not a couple in that sense. They were both kids on Spring Break, not traveling together and not traveling with family, and had just met on the ship. And you are right that it will not stop other people of the same ages from booking together in the future. But it will create a 'responsible' over 21 YO for each future passenger. And that was my point about the shifting of responsibility away from the cruise line and on to the passenger.

I somehow think things would have transpired differently if the girl's parents had been on the ship with her instead of just sending her off on her own. Perhaps not. And the male, being 22, would probably still have gotten just as drunk (and reportedly did for the remainder of the cruise). Its not going to stop people; its just going to stop situations where underage people are onboard, getting drunk or into whatever mischief, without there being someone else in charge of their welfare and behavior.

Not sure when drinking ages changes but i'm 41 and

I was able to order a drink from the ages of 16-21 on Princess, Sitmar, Holland America, Royal Caribbean, Royal Cruise Line, Royal Viking and Cunard.

It was a non issue, no one from the Maitre D thought twice about it.

Back then there were sommeliers and between them and my fellow cruisers I learned quite a bit about wine at young age and they didn't blink when I ordered it at dinner. In fact would make recommendations.

Also, was able to try a greyhound, grasshopper...etc etc...which I rarely finished because I hated the feeling of listening to myself say something and think....ooohhh did I just say that

I think learning about wine and being able to taste these drink really curbed any desire I had to be a party girl as I grew up.

but as with many other things time have changed, alcohol among the young is viewed much diffrently and rules have to be made.

Archived