Customs - limits on purchases?

Tex Gal

How can I find out limits on purchases that I have to claim in customs? I have been asked my lots of friends to get vanilla for them in Cozumel and I also have a request for Tequila. I'm getting coffee and rum cakes in Jamaica and lots of other goodies for myself. I'm just wondering if there are limits on stuff like this...

BTW - In case it's important, I am going on a Carnival cruise next week and I'm from Texas. Thanks!

The other consideration is if you are driving to the port or flying. If you are flying then you need to remember you can't carryon anything more than 3 ounces now so you will need to check liquor and probably vanilla. With the airlines weight restrictions on luggage, liquor adds up very quickly. If you are driving then it comes down to how much you are willing to carry:)

I am gussing Conquest, right? Ports of Cozumel, Jamaica and you live in Beaumont.

With that itinerary its $800 per person.

You are allowed one liter of alcohol per person over 21, duty free by US Customs; if you want to bring back more, most people can just pay the duty on the extra bottles. However, please note the next paragraph.

SPECIAL NOTE for TEXAS RESIDENTS: The TABC has a limit on alcohol brought back by Texas residents; it supercedes the Federal rule and is limited to one quart per person over 21. Period. Anything over that limit will be destroyed upon entry. I've seen it in Galveston.

If you are planning on buying tequila, realize that your limit (duty free or not) will be two quarts total. Unless you find some nice out-of-state friends onboard who are willing to bring it back for you and pay the extra duties (usually just a few dollars, if they charge it at all).

I've heard this thing about Mexican vanilla - and I have alot of Mexican friends, and they tell me there is nothing special about their vanilla at all.... what's the story on that???:confused:
It's a cook thing...check out this thread for an idea of how obsessive it can become:

http://www.cheftalk.com/forums/pastries-baking-general/3494-what-where-best-vanilla-extract.html

Archived