Organic Sunscreen

Does anyone know of any brands for organic sunscreens? And what SPF's they come in? And where we can find them?

We are headed to Cozumel in September and the park we're going to only allows organic sunscreen.

Thanks for the help.

We usually just apply our sunscreen before leaving the ship. There is a belief that sunscreen oils may be harming the reefs, but I have not seen any scientific studies that that is the case. I feel that a significantly larger amount of oils/grease are released to the sea every day by the small fishing and excursion boats that traverse the reefs each day.

The only beach in Cozumel that I remember attempting to limit the use of sunscreens is at Chankanab lagoon.

Hypo

I doubt that you'll find any truly organic sunscreens that work. But you can find plenty of natural ones that have less impact on the environment, which is probably what this resort is looking for. As long as you are looking for a specialized sunscreen, you might as well get something that actually blocks all of the sun. While most handle UVA, few help with UVB which has long term consequences.

Without making a specific recommendation, here is a link to the Environmental Working Groups recent tests on sunscreens. I actually like the looks of the one at the top of the page and will likely order some myself. I can burn with SPF 40 on if I stay out too long so I take my sunscreen seriously (usually by following a previous poster's suggestion to stay in the shade).

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/browse.php?sunscreens=1&best=1

Here in Oz the motto is Slip, slop & slap, Slip on a shirt, slop on factor 30 & slap on a hat, organic doesn't factor into it it's all about protection from the dreaded skin cancer which is the highest cancer rate here in the wonderful land of Oz.

Which park are you going to? Xcaret or Xel-Ha? If so, they are both wonderful. Xel-ha is my favorite, I loved floating down the river. We even saw a huge sea turtle that swam along with us and was very friendly. The sunscreen brand they use is Coral. Here are the usual rules they use for sunscreen, and should apply to all parks:

The SUNSCREEN must say bio-degradable on the label and you still have to check for these ingredients because if it cointains one of them you wont be able to use it. Octocrileno Benzofenona Butil metoxidibenzoilmetano Hexilodecanol Dimetil capramida Cetil dimeticona Metilparabeno Polietileno Propilparaben Butilcarbamato.

Organic, or biodegradable? The last I heard, the parks in Coz required biodegradable sunscreen. The oils damage reefs, and there could still be oils in organic sunscreen (just organic oils).

Double check what's required because you buy organic sunscreen-I suspect that might not be what you need. If it is in fact biodegradable sunscreen that you need, Google a brand called Caribbean Sol.

I wonder if they make people shower (with soap) before entering the water at the park. If they don't, how could they possibly control non-biodegradable sunscreens from entering the water system? Our whole family uses Bullfrog's Original waterproof sunblock. I think it's an SPF 30. The stuff is great and lasts all day. We put it on in the morning and don't even have to reapply. I doubt it's biodegradable... if it was, it wouldn't last so long! On the other hand, I can't imagine that very much of it washes off in the water (w/o soap) because if it did, my fair skinned kiddos would get cooked to a crisp. I think this whole thing sounds like a ploy for the parks to sell sunscreen... which is fine, but it isn't going to keep me from using what I know works.

I wonder if they make people shower (with soap) before entering the water at the park.

I'm not sure about Playa Uvas, but I have seen them on numerous occasions make people shower at the entrance to the park. Sometimes they make everyone do it, others that just say they have sunscreen on or at random. It depends on the park and the day you go or who is working there. They will also take your sunscreen from you (you pick it up on the way out).

I looked around a bit more and found Kiss My Face which is bio-degradable and organic. The highest it comes in is a 30+ kids formula, they also have a face and neck fomula available. Nature's Gate is another, it's highest is also 30. If you have a Whole Foods market, check there. And enjoy your trip to Paya Uvas! I hear it has recovered from Wilma a few years ago.

Archived