Rough Seas????

Longin2cruise

Rumor has it that the seas are exceptionally rough going around the Horn. I would love to hear from anyone who has done this cruise & hear your personal experiences. I'm booked on a 2009 cruise & am wondering what to expect. On a couple of Caribbean cruises we had to "outrun" a hurricane & the seas got pretty rough but I wasn't bothered although lots of other people were really sick.

is the right answer. We did a cruise around the horn in 2004 aboard the Infinity and had smooth seas and clear skies in that area. However, the weather is very unpredictable in that part of the world.

Noel

The odds are that you will have rough seas around Cape Horn but this can differ from cruise to cruise. The first time we sailed around the Horn the day started off wonderful. And all looked good as the plan was to take some passengers who volunteered over to Cape Horn on Zodiacs. But about two hours before this was to take place the seas turned very choppy and we had to leave. The last time we went around Cape Horn was this past February and it was wonderful. The seas were relatively calm. So, what I always say is prepare for the seas to be choppy in terms of any medicine that you want to bring with you for the cruise but it's possible you will have a relatively smooth sailing.

Keith

Hi -

We had exceptionally smooth sailing on our Infinity "around the Horn" experience earlier this year. As the other Cr. Cr. posters have said, it is extremely unpredictable water, and you could have a wonderful sailing or a very rocky sailing.

Our captain said it was the smoothest sailing he had encountered in the past 5 months.

Best of luck to you, neighbor!

Liz

Was looking for forecast for Cape Horn... Found this site which has info. Shows the map of South America and average wave heights. Looks like you can look 4 days out. There is a date feature on the lower right.

I'm inserting the graphic that was on the site when I was viewing it for today and the graphic showing the color for the wave heights.

samk_12.gifwellen_legende.gif

Hope everyone enjoys.

Based on my experiences at Cape Horn just like weather it is hard to predict what the weather in advance. So, my view is whatever it is it is. During the course of the day the captain will give updates from the bridge concerning the weather conditions.

Keith

I actually hope that we have some waves and seas that are a bit active when I go. I love an adventure and to me it will just be too easy without some rough seas on my trip. Just not on our Zodiac days, I hope!!

Have experienced some rough seas on ships without stabilizers in my earlier years of cruising, so feel that I can handle it. [i plan to take Bonine, ginger, and patches with on this cruise just in case, however.]

I actually hope that we have some waves and seas that are a bit active when I go. I love an adventure and to me it will just be too easy without some rough seas on my trip. Just not on our Zodiac days, I hope!!

Have experienced some rough seas on ships without stabilizers in my earlier years of cruising, so feel that I can handle it. [i plan to take Bonine, ginger, and patches with on this cruise just in case, however.]

There is the old saying. Be careful for what you wish for. :)

In all seriousness, if you are going around Cape Horn the odds say you will indeed have some rough seas.

Keith

Archived