Anyone do NCL's Grand Circle Island Tour

alikim

Just found out our flight out will be 10:15 pm.

Trying to decide what we should do until flight out.

I've looked into Grand Circle Island Tour but it's 8 hours and I've been reading it's alot of bus ride and I'm afraid my teenager boys might go crazy in the bus.

Would like more opinion from those who did this tour. Is it worth it? Should we choose shorter tour like North Shore Tour?

Even thinking of seeing if my TA can find us earlier flight back.

Thank you.

Sorry, but since no one responded, I'm bumping myself up hoping someone can answer.

Because our flight is 10:15 pm, we are leaning to 8 hour tour so that we don't have to spend too much time at the airport.

If you went on this tour, can you please give opinion? Since we have 80-year grandmother who cannot walk too much, I thought this will be easier tour since she'll be in bus.

Thank you.

Our flight leaves at 10:45 pm. We thought about being on a bus, then on a flight for many hours since we live in Orlando, Florida, but feel we would rather do that than sit at the airport for many hours.

Another tour we had thought about doing that is offered is The Grand Finale tour through NCL that takes you to Pearl Harbor and the Polynesian Cultural center with a buffet at PCC. This will accommodate your late flight. We thought about doing this one, but wanted to see the night show at the PCC and this Grand Finale tour doesn't stay long enough to see this show.

We are doing the PCC Pre cruise and doing the luau with Roberts Hawaii and they stay for the evening show of Horizons which is the show we wanted to see.

If you did the PCC, it would still be a ride, but you'd walk around the center, etc. not as much sitting.

This is available if you are on an NCL ship. (at least I know it is offered at the end of our 11 night Pride of Aloha 9-29-2007 to 10-10 cruise)

I am sure they can accommodate your grandmother so that all your party can enjoy it. Just a suggestion. There is a web site for the PCC with a phone number, you could even call them and ask if they have wheelchairs, etc. to help with your grandmother not being able to walk, that is if she is okay with that.

Unfortunately our cruise is 7-day cruise so PCC is closed on Sundays.

Sorry should have wrote more info. We'll be there Pride of Al from 8/26/07 to 9/2/07 (Sunday to Sunday).

I would have done the Grand Finale tour if we didn't have to leave on Sunday. I wouldn't have mind not staying for the luau since we'll be going to another one and just spend time in PCC to kill time but it's not meant to be.

I think I read one review that they didn't like the circle tour because it was mostly bus tour and you get off for 5 minutes here and there for pictures and that was it.

When I spoke to excursion personnel, I was told you get 45 minutes for lunch and around 30 minutes at the pineapple farm.

Just wanted to hear other opinions....

Our flight leaves at 10:45 pm. We thought about being on a bus, then on a flight for many hours since we live in Orlando, Florida, but feel we would rather do that than sit at the airport for many hours.

Another tour we had thought about doing that is offered is The Grand Finale tour through NCL that takes you to Pearl Harbor and the Polynesian Cultural center with a buffet at PCC. This will accommodate your late flight. We thought about doing this one, but wanted to see the night show at the PCC and this Grand Finale tour doesn't stay long enough to see this show.

We are doing the PCC Pre cruise and doing the luau with Roberts Hawaii and they stay for the evening show of Horizons which is the show we wanted to see.

If you did the PCC, it would still be a ride, but you'd walk around the center, etc. not as much sitting.

This is available if you are on an NCL ship. (at least I know it is offered at the end of our 11 night Pride of Aloha 9-29-2007 to 10-10 cruise)

I am sure they can accommodate your grandmother so that all your party can enjoy it. Just a suggestion. There is a web site for the PCC with a phone number, you could even call them and ask if they have wheelchairs, etc. to help with your grandmother not being able to walk, that is if she is okay with that.

We have two pre-cruise days in Honolulu on our own and will focus on seeing the sites around town (Diamond Head, Pearl Harbor). We are renting a car for the day when we return to Honolulu after the cruise to see the rest of the island. Our flight leaves at 9 pm. Renting a car will give us the flexibility to stop where we want and it would be perfect for a group with a broad age range like yours. I'm travelling with two teens also and I don't enjoy being hearded around so I'm sure they would hate it.

Pat

Last June we researched doing the NCL Grand Circle Tour, but decided to rent a car and do our own Grand Circle tour instead. It worked out great! We actually got in touch with a couple tour companies that do these tours on Oahu and they sent us brochures. With the help of these plus many tips from this board we were able to plan out our own day and see the sights that were most imporatant for us. Your boys will probably really like seeing the Bonza Pipeline Beach where the giant surf is in the winter months and other great beaches on the North Shore. A stop at Dole Pineapple Plantation is also great, even just the shop there as the Pineapple ice cream or Pineapple Whip are fantastic! Also be sure and try Shave Ice's from Matsumoto's or Aoki's on the North Shore YUM! Lunch at one of the Shrimp Trucks (like Giovanni's) on the North Shore is also terrific! Another great stop we planned was at the Waimea Audubon Park where we could swim under a waterfall! FUN! There is quite a hike involved, but it is through some interesting gardens, so not a big chore! With what you will save not paying for 4 NCL excursion tickets you will be able to rent a car, have a fabulous day and still save $$'s! We kept our suitcases in the trunk and just never opened it all day. We had the items we needed for the day with us in the car and just took those with us at each stop. We left planty of time to return our car and get to the airport. In fact we had to wait a couple hours so could have even done more!!

I did the Grand Circle tour last Nov. Beautiful scenery but, not very much time off the bus. Lunch was a very nice buffet at Turtle Bay. The stop at Dole Pineapple seemed too long. Stops at a couple of beachs too short.

I think you boys would hate it. I should have rented a car for the day and went directly to a North Shore beach.

Thank you so much for your input.

You sold me with "very nice buffet at Turtle Bay". LOL! I don't know if the stop for lunch will be the same but we'll take a chance. :)

Driving on our own is not option for us because (you can laugh but) my husband and I are terrible in finding things when driving in new place. We have already decided no rental cars at all for us and would rather spend extra money to be driven around. It'll be too nerve wrecking for us if we get lost.

I've asked my boys and they (at least my younger son) rather be in a bus than be at the airport bored so I'll be signing up on Monday.

Will let everyone know how it was once I come back. 5 MORE WEEKS TO GO! LOL!

I did the Grand Circle tour last Nov. Beautiful scenery but, not very much time off the bus. Lunch was a very nice buffet at Turtle Bay. The stop at Dole Pineapple seemed too long. Stops at a couple of beachs too short.

I think you boys would hate it. I should have rented a car for the day and went directly to a North Shore beach.

My husband and I argue constantly about his driving so we are not renting a car at all on this trip. :rolleyes: So I know where you are coming from. Also, my husband does get nervous when he doesn't know where he is going and since we are leaving on the plane that night, he'd be worried about driving too far in case he got lost.:confused:

We will doing the Grand Circle for the same reason, it is still better than sitting at the airport for hours.:eek:

Whenever we drive, we are always complaining about each other's driving! LOL! I can just imagine us arguing just because I didn't tell him in time to make certain turns. Besides, I'm really bad at reading maps. I wouldn't want to ruin our vacation at the last minute. :p

Much as we love to do Pearl Harbor, it's just too short of excursion and we would be spending alot of time at the airport.

Will report on the Grand Circle after we come back.

My husband and I argue constantly about his driving so we are not renting a car at all on this trip. :rolleyes: So I know where you are coming from. Also, my husband does get nervous when he doesn't know where he is going and since we are leaving on the plane that night, he'd be worried about driving too far in case he got lost.:confused:

We will doing the Grand Circle for the same reason, it is still better than sitting at the airport for hours.:eek:

Archived