Norwegian vs Carnival Questions

elvisillusions

HI,

Well, I for one, LOVE NCL's Freestyle cruising. I love to have dinner at the time I choose at a table for 2 with my DH. I hate sitting with other people who have no idea how to carry on a conversation. I hate being told what time I must eat. I enjoy wearing what I want, not following an established dress code each night. Most of the time I do dress for dinner, because that is my choice. I love to look beautiful for my husband and for my own self esteem as well.

I have sailed on NCL 4 times and Carnival 2 times. (have also sailed RCCl 3 times and Princess once, did personal choice on Princess and loved that too) I went back to Carnival for the second time because I wanted to give them another chance. But, I was wrong, I shouldn't have gone back a second time. The dining room service was atrocious. The food was just ok. If you think I go on a cruise to eat BURGERS and PIZZA!!!!! think again. That's what I have on a Friday night when I don't feel like cooking, not what I want on a cruise. I also don't think the dining room staff do the song and dance routines becaue they are "happy", they do it because its their job. Once you've seen that a time or two, thats enough. My DH WON a cruise, yeah!! its on Carnival, BOOO. We probably won't go.

But, hey, difference is what makes the world go around. What ever you choose, have fun.

Happy cruising, Kathy

what I want on a cruise. I also don't think the dining room staff do the song and dance routines becaue they are "happy", they do it because its their job. Once you've seen that a time or two, thats enough. My DH WON a cruise, yeah!! its on Carnival, BOOO. We probably won't go.

Gee. the last friday night I was on CCL ship. they were serving primerib. I thought it was good, as was the lobster and chateubriand.

The custodian where I work said it best when he raved about his one NCL cruise :" That freestyle dining is great... you don't have to dress up, just come as you are and show up".

Well, I expect a little more than just a place where you can show up in your shorts and tennies to get whatever is underneath the warming lamp. If I want to be able to show up when I want to in my shorts, wait 30 minutes for a table, I can do this at home at the local Denny's or Applebees.

I love these posts where the person loves their cruiseline of choice so much that they get all emotional in the post...

Chris Connolly <=== is glad they don't have denny's in The Hamptons

P.S. I'm 23 and I cruise NCL.. Did I pick the wrong line??????

My DH WON a cruise, yeah!! its on Carnival, BOOO. We probably won't go.

sooo - how did he win a free cruise? And if you really don't want it - I'll be more than happy to take it!!! I loved having the 24 hr pizza on the Legend - I am not hard to please!! :D

I am really looking into sailing on NCL's Dawn next October!

The freestyle cruise we took on the Sun in 2002 didn't allow "shorts and tennies" for dinner. There was still a dress code for dinner(smart casual), only difference was optional formal nights(2). And on our cruise you were out of place if you weren't dressed for those. There were still tuxes and dark suits and gowns everywhere. The ONLY difference I saw was the timing of your dinner, which for me worked great. I ate at different times every night depending on our schedule for the day, and in the same restaurant for dinner only once. Never had a wait for dinner, but I usually ate a bit after 8 p.m.

The system works for some and doesn't for others. I've enjoyed both styles and will definitely do more of both in the future. I take cruises for different reasons at different times. Whatever your reason, ENJOY IT!!!!

AlPrzy

I sailed the Dream out of New Orleans last November and had a great time. The ship's not fancy, but super clean, and there's a lot of public deck space due to a limited number of private balconies. I think if your kids are more interested in the islands then in the ship itself, they'll enjoy enjoy themselves immensely. I'm not sure what they would do at night, though--teenagers would probably find the shows corny.

I like the fact that NCL has BBQ grills out on the open deck thats cool I wish Carnival would do something like that.

That was neat about NCL, but the smell of lighter fliud was enough to choke you (and I didn't think the BBQ was that good either).

Well.. I have not been on Carnival yet.. will be going in October... have been on HAL and NCL... and here are my NCL observations...

First, let me say that I went with a GF not a wife... and no kids, so my focus may have been different from others ;)

I just plain LOVED the freestyle approach... always somewhere to eat... you don't have to plan your afternoon around when your 'seating' is, so on port days you do not have to rush back to make it...

If the afternoon we would pick up a plate of cold cuts and cheeses from the buffet... put it in the fridge... in the early evening we would sit on the balcony, have a glass of wine and our cold cut / cheese appetizer, and get ready for dinner when we pleased... picked our restaurant for dinner... and just walked in... never waited more than 5 minutes and always had a table for two... on the nights WE felt like dressing up we dressed to the hilt... when WE didn't feel like it, we didn't.... it was on OUR schedule and terms.. not some one else's...

We almost always had breakfast in one of the main dining rooms.. table for two... by the window with a great view...

YES.. freestyle gets my vote!!

I always thought the food was quite good, but then, that wasn't my focus...

My HAL experience was for a family re-union trip (and with a {now X} wife).. and my memories are of only having one place to eat, on THEIR schedule, rushing whatever we were doing in the afternoon to get ready for dinner (the early seating)... having to wear a Tux 2 nites, suit 3 nites and a sportcoat on the 'casual' nite... (don't get me wrong... I have nothing against tux'es.. I own one, but when on a caribbean vacation is NOT my idea of when to wear one)....

YES.. freestyle gets my vote!! Will share my Carnival thoughts when we get back... It appears that the Glory will have enuf choices for dining that it will be OK in any event!!

Archived