Airfare through Cruiseline - No Guarantee

Rdabadie

On another thread I saw a post where someone indicated that booking your airfare through the cruiseline implies some sort of guarantee that they'll get you to the ship if something goes wrong. I'm here to tell you this is so wrong, wrong, wrong and is an assumption too many people make.

Please read the Not-so-fine print: airfare is considered a completely separate contract. Should you miss the boat for any reason the cruise has NO OBLIGATION TO HELP YOU OUT. The cruise brochures clearly state this and advise you to buy insurance.

You need insurance if you want protection. The cruise line does not have to put you up in a hotel, or get a connecting flight for you, or even refund your lost days on the cruise (although there have been instances of the cruiselines helping out) About the only thing that MAY happen is if they know they have several people coming in on late flight(s) they may hold the ship for a while. But please, please, please do not fall into the "the cruiseline will help me out if THEIR airfare makes me miss THEIR ship" mistake, it's a guarantee that simply does not exist.

And for those who doubt me, here's the line from the Carnival cruise contract:

13. (a)Guest acknowledges that all Shore excursions/tours (whether conducted in the water, on land or by air), airline flights and ground transportation, as well as the ship's physician, nurse and on board concessions (including but not limited to, the gift shops, spa, beauty salon, fitness center, golf and art programs, video/snorkel concession) are either operated by or are independent contractors. Carnival neither supervises nor controls their actions, nor makes any representation either express or implied as to their suitability. Carnival, in arranging for the services called for by the physician or nurse, all on board concessions, all shore excursion/tour tickets, all pre and post cruise airline flights or other transportation off of the ship and its tenders, does so only as a convenience for the Guest and Guests are free to use or not use these services. Guest agrees that Carnival assumes no responsibility, does not guarantee performance and in no event shall be liable for any negligent or intentional acts or omissions, loss, damage, injury or delay to Guest and/or Guest's baggage, property or effects in connection with said services. Guests use the services of all independent contractors at the Guest's sole risk. Independent contractors are entitled to make a proper charge for any service performed with respect to a Guest.

While this is true, that they don't have any obligations to assist you, they do hold the ship (at least two of the times I have sailed) and delay sailing if they know flights are delayed. A travel agent recommended that I book through the cruise line when I took a cruise in January during a particular stormy winter. My flight wasn't really delayed (we were but not enough to effect sailing), however we did wind up leaving 3 hours late because of delayed flights of other guests. Dinner was so casual that night because people were still coming onboard (and I had the late seating) that we were not put at our permanent tables until the next night. So while it's not a guarantee that they will assist you, if you book your flight through them, you tend to be with others going on the cruise which will make them consider delaying sailing within a reasonable amount of time.

Wait til you here this one! I heard the other day from Carnival, that when you take a shore excursion through the ship, that is not a guarantee that the ship will wait for you. I always thought that when you book your tour through Carnival you are protected. When a delay of a tour occurs, I always believed the ship would wait because you did it through them...WRONG. Whatever you do on shore, is at your own risk. It is your responsibility to get back on time. I was really surprised by this one and I have been cruising since 1980.

Archived