Jolly Pirates?

barriekins

We are leaving on Tuesday and have reservations with them for Friday. I will let you know. I have read SO many posts about how good it is, so I am expecting the best. I hope that doesn't ruin it for me. I was debating between Jolly Pirates and Mi Dushi. Jolly Pirate won out, hope I made the right choice.

The Jolly Pirates are a blast! My husband and I went out with them in March of this year and it was the most enjoyable excursion of the entire cruise! We were probably the oldest ones on the boat(early 50s) but that made no difference and we had so much fun taking to everyone. There was an absolute sense of camraderie from the second we boarded and the crew were amazing. Funny, amazingly talented on the rope swing and just all around top notch. The food was amazingly good for an excursion and the "pirates poison" was great! The day we went the snorkeling was less than spectacular but that may have been due to a storm the day before. If you are a 100% hard core snorkeler it might not be the best choice but I'm not sure as I have not tried others places there.

If we ever get back to Aruba the first thing we will do is book a trip with the Pirates! We booked the trip ourselves on line and it went without a hitch. We had mistakenly put in the wrong port date when we registered but they fixed it and sent us an email before we even had time to let them know. Can't ask for better customer service!

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from Aruba and did the Jolly Pirate. It was GREAT! There are a lot of people they can pack on, but it doesn't feel crowded once you are onboard. Getting out to the boat is when you realize how many people are with you. They had to take 2 boat loads of people over, so we didn't head out until 9:50am. The full day tour is 9:30am - 2:00pm. I wouldn't say the food is great, but very tasty after snorkling and out in the sun. The crew is amazing and very helpful. The first stop is VERY rough, water wise, but if you get away from the boat a bit it's a little easier. The next two stops are alot calmer and easier to enjoy yourself. You can either go down the ladder or jump off the side of the boat. I recommend jumping off the side, because there is usually a wait for the ladder. All in all a great day and we would do it again.

• 2 weeks later...

Fun Snorkeling cruise - much more for the snorkeling than the booze on this cruise. There was drinking but didn't appear to be a lot.

Conditons vary there from very calm waters to a tiny bit rough at the further out spot.

Have fun!

For all those who are considering the Jolly Pirates in Aruba.

I would have to say is - GO!

This was my first time in Aruba.

My DH always wanted to do the Pirates ship tour while we were visiting other islands.

So, I decided to book Jolly Pirates.

Boy, was I glad I did.

I booked the Sail, Snorkel, Swim, Swing 9:30am - 2pm tour directly on line. Very easy and simple to do.

They sent me a confirmation letter with directions.

Three Great Sites; Malmok Reefs, Boca Catalina and the famous 400ft WWII Shipwreck, lunch, Open Bar, and the Gear and Rope Swing!

The cruise line offered the same excursion except it was for 4 hrs, no lunch, and during the late afternoon.

We decided to take the taxi to get to Jolly Pirates because we arrived at the pier a little after 8am and needed to be at MooMba Beach at 9:00 AM. Cost for the taxi was $10.00 each way. Well worth the money. Being we saw the bus filled with people.

The crew on this ship were fantastic. Eager to help, friendly, and even caring. It was an unusual hot day in Aruba, this young girl almost passed out, dizzy, faint. The crew saw to her attention providing ice and food.

At each stop they gave us plenty of time for snorkeling. After snorkeling they pick up a delicious hot lunch that was delivered by someone on land. The crew were well organized serving all the people on board. Drinks are provided throughout the cruise. But, it's not like a "Party Boat". No drunks on board, nothing like that.

After lunch the famous rope swing began.

Everyone had a blast. Crew gave us plenty of time swinging into the water. The crew put on a great acrobatics show.

As we sailed back to shore, the crew got the passengers to participate in some fun games. Very entertaining to watch.

I would highly recommend a Jolly Pirates cruise to anyone in Aruba.

If I ever go back to Aruba I will definitely sail on the Jolly Pirate ship.

We had a wonderful time.

(PS - My underwater camera case had a small crack in it, making it fill with water. I am so upset by this. I was told that salt water and film do not mix. My pictures are ruined. But thankfully I have some from my other camera)

Oh, another thing, as we were snorkeling two other boats were there the Red Sails Sports and the Mi Dushi. I am so glad I booked the Jolly Pirate. The other boats did not have shade (canopy) protecting you from the shade, were the Jolly did. Plus, we noticed the other boats were crowded with people. The Jolly wasn't crowded at all. Plenty of room to move about.

Thanks for the great review. We have booked this for next April, DH, DS, DD and myself. None of us have snorkled and are moderate swimmers. Do they instruct you on snokeling. My DD wants to know if they have lifejackets to wear or do you need to be a strong swimmer?

Thanks for your help.

wpas

While we were getting ready with our snorkel gear the crew helped several passengers with their gear. Showing them how to snorkel.

They provided snorkel vests to everyone. If you're an experience snorkeler ( like my DH & I ) they didn't make you wear them.

I have problems with my knee. I was nervous about getting in & out of the boat. When I saw the ladder that went outside the ship I felt at ease knowing I could handle that. What a pleasure! You walk either up or down with no problem. I have been on some boats where you had to jump in the water and climb up a flimsy ladder.

Near the wreck the crew advised us about the strong current.

The current was a little strong, but, I have swam in much worse.

Everyone stays in one area viewing the sunken ship.

• 2 weeks later...
For all those who are considering the Jolly Pirates in Aruba.

I would have to say is - GO!

This was my first time in Aruba.

My DH always wanted to do the Pirates ship tour while we were visiting other islands.

So, I decided to book Jolly Pirates.

Boy, was I glad I did.

I booked the Sail, Snorkel, Swim, Swing 9:30am - 2pm tour directly on line. Very easy and simple to do.

They sent me a confirmation letter with directions.

Three Great Sites; Malmok Reefs, Boca Catalina and the famous 400ft WWII Shipwreck, lunch, Open Bar, and the Gear and Rope Swing!

The cruise line offered the same excursion except it was for 4 hrs, no lunch, and during the late afternoon.

We decided to take the taxi to get to Jolly Pirates because we arrived at the pier a little after 8am and needed to be at MooMba Beach at 9:00 AM. Cost for the taxi was $10.00 each way. Well worth the money. Being we saw the bus filled with people.

The crew on this ship were fantastic. Eager to help, friendly, and even caring. It was an unusual hot day in Aruba, this young girl almost passed out, dizzy, faint. The crew saw to her attention providing ice and food.

At each stop they gave us plenty of time for snorkeling. After snorkeling they pick up a delicious hot lunch that was delivered by someone on land. The crew were well organized serving all the people on board. Drinks are provided throughout the cruise. But, it's not like a "Party Boat". No drunks on board, nothing like that.

After lunch the famous rope swing began.

Everyone had a blast. Crew gave us plenty of time swinging into the water. The crew put on a great acrobatics show.

As we sailed back to shore, the crew got the passengers to participate in some fun games. Very entertaining to watch.

I would highly recommend a Jolly Pirates cruise to anyone in Aruba.

If I ever go back to Aruba I will definitely sail on the Jolly Pirate ship.

We had a wonderful time.

(PS - My underwater camera case had a small crack in it, making it fill with water. I am so upset by this. I was told that salt water and film do not mix. My pictures are ruined. But thankfully I have some from my other camera)

Oh, another thing, as we were snorkeling two other boats were there the Red Sails Sports and the Mi Dushi. I am so glad I booked the Jolly Pirate. The other boats did not have shade (canopy) protecting you from the shade, were the Jolly did. Plus, we noticed the other boats were crowded with people. The Jolly wasn't crowded at all. Plenty of room to move about.

Hi Sandytoes!

Thank you for your great review!

I think if I did this correctly I have added a photo of your husband enjoying a "jolly" kind of day!

He is featured on our website in the August Spotlight!

Sunny regards,

Carla - jolly

patti.jpg.5b639a1949520e4ac6141a50bddf12b6.jpg

Hi Sandytoes!

Thank you for your great review!

I think if I did this correctly I have added a photo of your husband enjoying a "jolly" kind of day!

He is featured on our website in the August Spotlight!

Sunny regards,

Carla - jolly

You're Welcome.

It was my pleasure.

Thanks for posting us on your site...I feel honored....:)

Thank you for the great info here. :cool:

You helped us decide to book the "Jolly Pirates" for the "Swim, Snorkel, Swim & Swing" tour on Jan 16/08. This will be our "first" time to snorkel and Carla said "No Problem" they would look after us!! :D

Have a question...

We arrive in Aruba aboard Celebrity's "Summit"...if we can't get to port due to weather-etc... can we get a refund for our online reservation? Has anyone had this problem and how did you handle it??

Really looking forward to this tour so hope everything works out!

Pat :)

Thank you for the great info here. :cool:

You helped us decide to book the "Jolly Pirates" for the "Swim, Snorkel, Swim & Swing" tour on Jan 16/08. This will be our "first" time to snorkel and Carla said "No Problem" they would look after us!! :D

Have a question...

We arrive in Aruba aboard Celebrity's "Summit"...if we can't get to port due to weather-etc... can we get a refund for our online reservation? Has anyone had this problem and how did you handle it??

Really looking forward to this tour so hope everything works out!

Pat :)

Pat,

Not to sure about canceling reservations.

Got to their site

http://www.jolly-pirates.com/contact.php

and ask them directly.

Sorry I couldn't help ya,

Chris

Hi ya,

In the unlikely event of either, we wld certainly reverse your cc charges. In fact, I would tend to blv that every co would do the same. no?

In ten years this has happened once

( where a c.ship changed sched due to an emergency) and all guests were refunded before asking.

Hope this helps.

I have problems with my knee. I was nervous about getting in & out of the boat. When I saw the ladder that went outside the ship I felt at ease knowing I could handle that. What a pleasure! You walk either up or down with no problem. I have been on some boats where you had to jump in the water and climb up a flimsy ladder.

Please tell me more about the ladder. Where does it enter the water? Do you go down the side of the boat? How do you access it from the water to get back aboard? I've been on a catamaran that had the ladder down the center so you just walked right in and I've been on boats where you had to climb up onto a platform or scale a flimsy rope ladder. I'm a little...er...fluffy, and I have a shoulder problem. I'd like to book the Jolly Pirates, but I don't want to until I know how you access the water. My DH will be on a scuba thing, so I'll be alone and I'd hate to have those Jolly Pirates have to haul my big rear end up a ladder with a rope! :eek: I'd appreciate any information. Thanks. I emailed JP. I assume they'll answer soon, but I'm impatient. :D

Robin

Please tell me more about the ladder. Where does it enter the water? Do you go down the side of the boat? How do you access it from the water to get back aboard? I've been on a catamaran that had the ladder down the center so you just walked right in and I've been on boats where you had to climb up onto a platform or scale a flimsy rope ladder. I'm a little...er...fluffy, and I have a shoulder problem. I'd like to book the Jolly Pirates, but I don't want to until I know how you access the water. My DH will be on a scuba thing, so I'll be alone and I'd hate to have those Jolly Pirates have to haul my big rear end up a ladder with a rope! :eek: I'd appreciate any information. Thanks. I emailed JP. I assume they'll answer soon, but I'm impatient. :D

Robin

Question for those who went with Jolly Pirates Sounds like a straight up and down ladder

Robin

The ladder is made up of a sturdy steel-frame construction with very wide steps. They hang it over the side in the middle of the ship.

I have Rheumatoid arthritis, Tendinitis, Bursitis, Osteoarthritis, and I have a half a knee being it was crushed in a very bad car accident. (Thank God I'm alive and well and able to enjoy some activities)

So as you can see, my main concern was how I was going to make it up the ladder. When I saw the ladder and how easy it was for everyone getting on and off....I was sooo relieved, I knew right than I would not have a problem.

...I felt safe and secure. Which made snorkeling at their 3 stops a pure pleasure.

My DH who has a shoulder injury also found the ladder extremely easy to use.

You will have no problem.

Go!

You will totally enjoy the Jolly Pirate Tour.

I hope this helped.

...I felt safe and secure. Which made snorkeling at their 3 stops a pure pleasure.

My DH who has a shoulder injury also found the ladder extremely easy to use.

You will have no problem.

Go!

You will totally enjoy the Jolly Pirate Tour.

I hope this helped.

Thanks, everyone! Sandytoes, the JP person emailed me back and said virtually what you're saying, but helps to hear from someone who understands my apprehension.:) I'll be contacting them to book. CCers are the BEST!

Robin

Thanks, everyone! Sandytoes, the JP person emailed me back and said virtually what you're saying, but helps to hear from someone who understands my apprehension.:) I'll be contacting them to book. CCers are the BEST!

Robin

Robin,

Glad I could help.

You'll have a great time.

Chris

• 2 months later...

Archived