What to do in Grand Turk?

beans79

I am going horse back ridding at Half Moon Cay, Snorkeling in St. Thomas and Shopping in San Jaun...so I am not sure what to do at Grand Turk.? Any Suggestions?? :D

HAVE A BLAST, RENT A MOTORCYCLE. When we were there in February, we rented from one of the vendors at the brand new cruiseship passenger facility. I think it only cost us like $30-$40 all day, full tank of gas included. Some nice secluded beaches on the north/northwest part of the island and also a beautifully restored lighthouse/museuem there. And some great diving/snorkeling beaches on the south/southwest part of the island. You can ride from one end of the island to the other in about 15 minutes. Very friendly people all over the tiny island.

Just hang on at the Beach or the Pool , right next to the ship. The beach is great and the pool is beautiful with music, games . food and superb drinks ( Expensive drinks. I paid $ 18.00 for a margarita and a pina colada , but it was worth). Great time there . Carnival spend millions of dollars to build this place , and is really fantastic and right next to the ship. You only have to walk for 5 minutes on the dock to get to the Margariteville Beach or Pool . They also sell booze at the end of the pier at an excellent price. For me this is one of the best places in the Caribeen . The others are Magens Bay , Orient Beach and Seven mile Beach. :) :) :) :) :)

i agree w/ most of the posters here. the pier area is very nice. i'd stay there. the first time we went we just stayed on the beach and at buffett's.

the second time, we went to buffett's for a bit, then took a cab into cockburn town -- not the sight to see. i think i asked 5 different people, 5 different times if we were actually there, LOL. kept looking for something, anything.

Thanks for all the great answers! The motorcycle thing sounds like something I might check that out. I have been to Jimmy Buffets before in Universial Studios. I am sure the one here is a little more tropic..but I think I want to explore the island!!

My Cruise starts this Saturday!!!! :p

Thanks for all the great answers! The motorcycle thing sounds like something I might check that out. I have been to Jimmy Buffets before in Universial Studios. I am sure the one here is a little more tropic..but I think I want to explore the island!!

Have a great cruise!!!

oh, i've been to that margaritaville (in orlando) plenty of times, as well as the one in key west. no comparison. check it out:

http://www.margaritavillecaribbean.com/gallery_in.php?categoryid=5

Beans, if you decide to go for the motorcycle thing, you'll have a great time exploring the island on your own. At the cruiseship paggenger facility, they have one of those small information booths, they hand out island maps/info there. That is where we rented the motorcyle from, if the owner (I think his name was William, not quite sure if I remember correctly though), the girl will call him and he will come pick you up in like 5-10 minutes and he will take you to the bike pickup location which is just outside the perimiter fence. He'll offer you to ride the bike for a short while at no obligation to rent, just to make sure you feel comfortable riding it (piece of cake, just gas and brake!) and you're all set. When you are done, you just return the bike at the same spot and leave it there with the keys in it.

The funny part is I paid the guy upfront in cash, no deposit/credit card required, he did not even ask me for a driver's license. No rental contract, no paperwork to sign. Couldn't be easier and anymore laid back! Extremely pleasant guy. He more than trated us fairly and in return, we took good care of the Honda motorcycle we rented from him.

Hope the above info helps and have a great cruise.

If you decide to snorkel, you won't be disappointed. We went about 20-30 minutes by boat from the dock and the snorkeling was incredible. We snorkeled 2 reefs and saw some incredible sea life. My kids had a blast! It was their first time and they actually got to see a nurse shark and a baracuda.

The Margaritaville was like none we have ever seen. It got pretty rowdy, much to my teenaged son's liking. :eek: There were some hot young things dancing on the bar and his eyes were about to fall into the pool. What a day for him!:p

If you decide to swim at the beach area, you may want to bring water shoes. The ocean floor is not exactly what you would normally expect but the water is beautiful!

oh, i've been to that margaritaville (in orlando) plenty of times, as well as the one in key west. no comparison. check it out:

http://www.margaritavillecaribbean.com/gallery_in.php?categoryid=5

I agree! We've been to Margaritaville in Orlando (several times) and Ocho Rios. We just walk right past the one in Key West -- it's awful compared to the others. Too many other great bars/restaurants in Key West to waste our time on Margaritaville. The one in Grand Turk is AWESOME.

Just hang on at the Beach or the Pool , right next to the ship. The beach is great and the pool is beautiful with music, games . food and superb drinks ( Expensive drinks. I paid $ 18.00 for a margarita and a pina colada , but it was worth).
We paid $13 for two Coronas, but I guess we were also paying for the "entertainment" by the pool. ;)

I'm doing the "reef and rays" tour in GT. I thought about doing the on/off bus island tour but the feedback wasn't all that great. Before the tour, I'm hoping to get into town for a local lunch. Still trying to figure out the logistics for that.

What to do in Grand Turk....if you are not party people, want a beautiful day to just lay back and enjoy, I would suggest that you contact Sandy at the Grand Turk Inn.....adults only, she will provide you with use of the Inn, swimming, beach umbrellas, noodles, etc. to swim and a lovely lunch or dessert buffet(depending on the time of day)....get a group together on your cruise...she will take up to 12 at a time...this is a private inn, not open to the public as such. It is listed as one of the best places to stay in the Turks....we actually book our cruises to include Grand Turk just to stay another day with Sandy and Katrina....I have taken a number of groups with me, and each time, everyone is delighted by these two women and their hospitality...I will be there again on the Crown Princess 8/28 cruise...if you contact her, tell her Donna sent you and that you saw this on Cruise critic......guaranteed it will be the highlight of your cruise.:rolleyes:

Archived