where to get a certified birth certificate from?

aj13

Hey everyone,

I just had our December cruise on NOS to the caribbean booked. In preparing for everything i'd like to know where I can get a "certified copy of my birth certificate with the raised seal" from. My TA stressed a lot about the raised seal being there.

Is this just like a notarized copy or what?

where would i go/who would i call to get one done?

all help is appreciated

Hey everyone,

I just had our December cruise on NOS to the caribbean booked. In preparing for everything i'd like to know where I can get a "certified copy of my birth certificate with the raised seal" from. My TA stressed a lot about the raised seal being there.

Is this just like a notarized copy or what?

where would i go/who would i call to get one done?

all help is appreciated

It is not like a notarized copy. You need to contact the county you were born in and request a birth certificate with a raised seal.

Another choice is to use this service:

https://www.vitalchek.com/agency_locator.asp?eventtype=birth

For Maryland, we had a central place to send our information to along with about $12 and they sent us an official copy with raised seals. I just told them who my parents were, which hospital, date of birth and my name at birth (I had my married name listed too). If you have problems finding it for your state, go to genealogy sites, they will help you find where to get it.

Everyone, please note that a certified BC used to be recognized by the 'raised seal' which was the certification. In this day and age of computerized records, many states and counties now issue certified birth certificates without a raised seal but instead with watermarked paper and/or holograms. They are just as 'certified' as the raised seal kind.

The key here is the word 'certified' and issued by the state or county or municipality where you were born. Not the hospital.

Archived