Ketchikan-Guard Island Lighthouse

jkl67890

I took the lighthouse tour last year. You do get to see a lot of the waterfront on the way out and back - lots of eagles in the trees and some seals at Guard Island. There really isn't much there - the old historic buildings were torn down during the 1960's. In my opinion, the Jet Boat tour out of Salmon Falls resort is much more interesting because it covers a greater area and you are taken to the town of Loring (established before Ketchikan). The narrator was excellent - we saw porpoises, eagles, black bear, thousands of jellyfish, salmon and a grey whale. Quite a few people live out in the wilderness, the only way in/out by boat/float plane.

I took the Light house tour in May. We had sunny weather with calm seas. I was on a Princess cruise.

Any time you are on the water in Ketchikan, there is a chance of turbulance. Depends upon the weather. It can be sunny and calm, cloudy-cold and calm or anything else you can imagine.

I returned to Ketchikan after the cruise and took the Jet Boat tour. This was a calm, semi-cloudy day.

I returned to Ketchikan on my own at the end of the month and (through friends) took the Jet Boat tour.

We did this tour last June and for the most part, found it pretty boring. We went the first of June and the water was pretty calm. I would not recommend it.

The last 3 pictures in my album are from the trip:

http://homepage.mac.com/tlassek/PhotoAlbum19.html

You pretty much see the houses along the way and then you circle the one lighthouse and come back. The highlight for me was sailing past Totem Bight park. I booked this through Princess. Most of the people on our tour were not impressed. They did provide snacks and soda on the trip - people raved about the dip.

I should probably add the fact that all the ships heading north and those approaching Ketchikan from the north go past almost all the sites you'd see on the Guard Island tour including a view of Guard Island from a distance. The only part you would miss is Ward Cove, site of the now closed Ketchikan Pulp Mill and Ward Cove Cannery.

Archived