Barcelona hotel about 100-200?

Take a look at www.hotelcontinental.com for description and photos of 2 hotels, then do a search on www.tripadvisor.com for reviews

We stayed in the Continental in a balcony room overlooking Las Ramblas - perfect position to people-watch, clean, shabby but full of local colour, free breakfast and 24/7 tea/coffee/pastries (NB. no a/c in Continental - ceiling fan only, but I think there is in Continental Palacete)

We just got back from the Continental Palacete. The rooms are air conditioned at the Palacete. They are SMALL!!! But the location, and the free breakfast/24 hour snacks will save you serious $$$. We'd stay there again in a heartbeat.

We will be staying at the Hotel Continental for a couple of days in Nov. We also booked a room with a balcony overlooking Las Ramblas. Could you tell me if it was very noisy?

The free breakfast at the Continental Palacete included coffee, tea, juices, milk etc. It also has 2 or 3 types of omelets, toast, cereal and a whole lot of fruit. If you're looking for an all you can eat International House of Pancake breakfast this isn't for you. On the plus side, they always have dark chocolate.

Oh, yeah, the coffee is one of those machines that brews the individual cups of Cafe Americano, Espresso and Coffee Con Leche, ie Cafe Latte, Cappuccino etc. And you can get it in Decaf if you are so inclined.

We stayed at the NH Calderon. It is 2 blocks north of Plaza Catalunya. It was very clean, and was air conditioned. It was 110 Euros per night. Another advantage was the roof top pool that was nice to cool off in at the end of a day of touring.

Itsjb1 - we are also booked at the NH Calderon for Sept. 3,4,&5th, but you are the first person who has mentioned that hotel. We have an opportunity to switch over to the Atrium Palace, but if you could please tell me more about the location of the Calderon & the amenities, I would certianly appreciate it!!

Kathy

Luvcrusin

The hotel is 2 blocks north of Plaza Catalunya, from which La Rambla starts.

The hotel is very cleanand is air conditioned. It has an indoor pool and a rooftop outdoor pool.The hotel is quiet at night

We did not try the restaurant. We grabbed a quick breakfast on the street both mornings. There is a very good tapas bar at the south end of the block that the hotel is on. One block east is a street with all of the nice stores and 2 of the Gaudi buildings5 or 6 blocks north(about a 10-15 minute walk)and many restaurants.

We found the hotel to be in an ideal location. La Rambla is about a 5 minute walk and the old quarter is about another 5 minutes away. We are glad that we did not stay on La Rambla, it is too busy and too noisy.

Let me know if you need any additional info.

Yes, the Hotel Continental balcony rooms are noisy at night but I was prepared with foam earplugs (which we never used as the noise is very muffled once the balcony door is closed). It was fine in September and would be in November, but I think you'd need to keep the door open for cooler air in July as there is no a/c (only a ceiling fan)

There were no omelettes only hard boiled eggs, and the only fruit was kiwifruit, otherwise breakfast was as described for the Palacete

PS nh calderon looks very nice

Does anyone know about either of these hotels. How far are they from the airport and from the sights of Barcelona? Is it difficult to get a taxi from the airport? What generally is the cost of a taxi from the airport to the hotels?

Itsjb1 - Thank you for your run down on the NH Calderon. I had posted an inquiry some time back and no one had stayed there, so I was getting nervous. We have alternate plans to stay at the Atrium Palace, so now we feel we can make an educated decision! :)

Kathy

pandvsmith, are the two more expensive nights week nights? The rate for a superior room for the weekend I will be in Barcelona would have been 144 Euros, so 158 for next year does not seem like a large increase. The two nights we will be at the Diplomatic will be weekend nights, which might be less expensive than week nights.

Archived