Carnival Victory going into dry dock end of October

1cruiser2004

I just heard from a Carnival agent that the Victory is going into drydock from Oct 21 through Nov 3rd.

I was thinking about changing from the Glory to the Victory. I wasn't really looking forward to the trip and having to rent a car for the Glory to go from Orlando to Cape Canaveral.

How extensive of work is done when a ship goes into drydock. Do you think they are doing this now since John Mayer will be on early next year. I know they are

going to take it out again for only 6 days before he sails. The agent told me it would be like going on a new ship, but I know he's just trying to make his sale.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Actually, they do change a lot of things out and spruce up the rest. It might be more like having had your house painted and the carpet replaced. Same outside...but it seems so nice and new inside because of the work that has been done on it. I hope they stick with some of the same decor because I thought that ship was really beautiful in some places...more classy or something.

As far as the Glory...Orlando to Port Canaveral...we usually fly in the day before and stay at a hotel by the Orlando airport - free shuttle. Then we shuttle back to the airport in the morning and get on the bus and take it to

PC. We've done this twice and it's worked out well. The longest we had to wait was 15 minutes...even at that we had just missed the previous bus. (We watched it pull away.) This is about the only time we feel the bus is worth it. (At the other ports we've been to so far we usually take a cab to the port.)

I know they are

going to take it out again for only 6 days before he sails. The agent told me it would be like going on a new ship, but I know he's just trying to make his sale.

The Victory is not going for a drydock then, the agents details are incorrect. The whole ship had been chartered for 14 days (two consecutive normal 7 day cruises) and is being split as:

27th Jan - 5 days - Barenaked Ladies

1st Feb - 3 days - John Mayer

4th Feb -6 days - Cayamo Cruise (Emmylou Harris, Lyle Lovatt, John Hiatt, Shawn Colvin, Josh Rouse and loads more!)

Michelle :)

• 2 months later...
I just heard from a Carnival agent that the Victory is going into drydock from Oct 21 through Nov 3rd.

I was thinking about changing from the Glory to the Victory. I wasn't really looking forward to the trip and having to rent a car for the Glory to go from Orlando to Cape Canaveral.

How extensive of work is done when a ship goes into drydock. Do you think they are doing this now since John Mayer will be on early next year. I know they are

Me and my fiance just got off the Glory in port Canaveral yesterday (saturday morning). We saw the Victory in drydock in freeport. It appeared they were adding an extension to Club O2 or something. Whatever it is, the Victory is in drydock and the Glory is absolutely amazing... :)

Me and my fiance just got off the Glory in port Canaveral yesterday (saturday morning). We saw the Victory in drydock in freeport. It appeared they were adding an extension to Club O2 or something. Whatever it is, the Victory is in drydock and the Glory is absolutely amazing... :)

Thanks for this info...........only 7 days till the Victory sails again.......I can't wait till next Sunday!

I would think it would be heading to drydock right before it moves to San Juan to replace the Destiny.

:cool:

why would it go in dry dock 2 years in a row?

it is not scheduled for drydock after this for another 2 years is my guess

why would it go in dry dock 2 years in a row?

it is not scheduled for drydock after this for another 2 years is my guess

I thought it was standard practice to "freshen" a ship up when it changed home ports. *shrug* (I could be mistaken..LOL)

Not all drydock stops are for full overhauls. :)

Carnival Victory Fact Sheet

Shipyard: Fincantieri Cantieri Navali Italiani, Italy

Inaugural cruise: October 15, 2000

Godmother; Mary Frank, Wife of Howard Frank, Carnival Corporation's Vice Chairman.

Country of registry: Panama

Cost: $430 million

Cruising speed: 21 knots

Size/Capacity:

• Gross tonnage: 101,509

• Length: 893 feet

• Beam: 116 feet; 125 feet at pool deck

• Maximum draft: 27 feet

• Full guest occupancy: 3470

• Normal occupancy (based on 2 per cabin): 2758

• Passenger decks: 13

• Space ratio: 37:1

Crew:

• Total officers and crew: 1090

• Guests to crew: 1 crew for every 2 guests

• Officers: Italian

• Hotel and cruise staff: International

Accommodations:

• 8 ocean view balcony penthouse suites

• 42 ocean view balcony suites

• 14 ocean view family cabins

• 458 ocean view balcony cabins

• 317 ocean view cabins

• 522 interior cabins

• 10 ocean view upper/lower cabins

• 8 interior upper/lower cabins

1379 total guest cabins

All cabins feature: telephone, 110 AC current, individual climate control; 500-watt hair dryer; wall safe; Interactive TV System

Life Saving Appliances: occupancy each total occupancy

2 - 24' emergency rescue boats 60 120

22 - 38' motor lifeboats 150 3300

100 - davit launched life rafts 35 3450

Grand total lifesaving capacity: 6870

Maintenance Schedule:

• 2000 no scheduled dates

• 2001 dry dock: 10/14/01-10/26/01

• 2002 no scheduled dates

• 2003 no scheduled dates

• 2004 dry dock: 10/24/04-11/06/04

• 2005 no scheduled dates

• 2006 no scheduled dates

• 2007 dry dock: 10/21/07-11/03/07

• 2008 no scheduled dates

Ship Renovations:

The Victory is in for a two week dry dock. Not enough time to do major renovations like we saw on the Inspiration.

I'm sure she'll be in fine shape after dry dock but I doubt you'd mistake her for a new ship...

;)

it is enough time to hoist a screen onto the ship and just put the frame in place though

Archived