11 Year Old Fears Cruising - What to do?

Linda VH

Im sure he is old enough to deal with logical facts

Remind him the Titanic went down in 1912 it was in the north Atlantic not off the east coast of Alaska.

Since then radar and Satalite have been invented and ships can spot a small sailing boat over 30 miles away so theres no chance of an Iceberg popping up out of no where

A question that might relate can he swim? If not that could be in his mind.

On a lighter not we cruised with my wifes Grandmother a few years back when she said her only concern was not be able to swim I had to laugh I said well I can swim but not from one side of the Atlantic to other

Even adults are rarely logical, and children even less so.

I had the same thought several other posters had: Could it be an issue between the child and the mother's boyfriend? Or maybe it's the obvious: Anyone who's seen as much as a trailer for "Titanic" would be justifiably terrified of cruising if that's all they knew about it.

Getting him very involved in planning for the trip might help. Let him be involved in every decision you possibly can. Have him book the flight & hotel online (with you watching over his shoulder, of course). Take him shopping and let HIM pick out his special cruise clothes (and here's one case where the cruiser's preference outweighs the dress code). Heck, get his opinion on YOUR clothes. Get him a special piece of luggage that's his alone (let him pick it out). Maybe dealing with all these little pieces of the trip will help him feel more comfortable.

Does he have a "comfort object"? Make sure he knows he'll be able to take that along. Also be sure he knows that he will NEVER be alone, that one of you will always be with him. Sometimes we adults assume that the child knows what is so obvious to us; it doesn't hurt to make it explicit. And of course, under no circumstances should anyone be allowed to ridicule or minimize his fears. We may feel they're ungrounded, but they are very real to him.

Are you anywhere near a Coast Guard facility? A field trip should be exciting, and getting to talk to a "captain" might reassure him about safety. If they allow him to try on a life jacket, that might help a little as well.

Good luck!

I just had another thought: Call the cruiseline and explain the situation. Maybe, just maybe, you could arrange for your g'son to meet the ship's captain and even take a tour of the bridge. If the boy can actually see the man who'll be driving the ship, and all the cool equipment, I bet that would go a long way toward allaying his fears. It's worth a try!

No, he loves the BF! They've been together for a few years and he goes with him anywhere at the drop of a hat! They are now on a trip to tour colleges for the BF's daughter and he was gungho!

Can't leave him with Gramps - Gramps is coming with ME!!! lol!!!

I think the logic, videos, etc. will work. He lives down the street from us and I just found out that he discussed the trip with my next door neighbor. He goes with her when she walks her German Shepherd if he is around. She told him not to be like her son and miss out on alot of fun so at least he is contemplating the situation. Thanks, Linda

No, he loves the BF! They've been together for a few years and he goes with him anywhere at the drop of a hat! They are now on a trip to tour colleges for the BF's daughter and he was gungho!

Can't leave him with Gramps - Gramps is coming with ME!!! lol!!!

I think the logic, videos, etc. will work. He lives down the street from us and I just found out that he discussed the trip with my next door neighbor. He goes with her when she walks her German Shepherd if he is around. She told him not to be like her son and miss out on alot of fun so at least he is contemplating the situation. Thanks, Linda

Linda, It's great that he likes your BF. Keep your fingers crossed that he will loosen up a little.

Oh! I almost forgot. The reason I suggested staying with Gramps is because I'm a GF and I love to have my GD with us. I don't have a GS yet but I bet that they are fun too.

I like the earlier idea of preparing him for what would happen if you hit an iceberg. Also, the reminder that it actually hasn't happened in a long time. I wish there were more information online about the kids club activities on cruiselines including photos....he will have blast! My 6 yo daughter LOVED cruising! I have a different opinion from the poster who said if you force him he will have a bad time. Only you know your grandson to make that call. My teen daughter is extremely afraid of flying however we "force" her to go with us and she's always glad we did. Her fear is not from a bad experience. I once had to leave the line at the gate to board and literally drag her crying out of a bathroom stall. It was quite a scene. She LOVES to travel so she's getting better with the flying issue. I'd say take your grandson as I think he'd have a wonderful time. If you go to Juneau, you can whalewatch with Cap't Larry of Orca Enterprises to see the whales and he might even get to drive the boat!

Archived