Can anyone explain the experience of parasailing?

luckyprincess

Hi,

I'm asking about this because a search just brings up threads on parasailing prices and locations.

I had thought I did my research, but now I'm a little nervous. I can't swim, but my boyfriend and I signed up for parasailing through RCCL (our first time doing excursions, my second and his first cruise) and I had come to understand that it wasn't an activity where I had to swim, that I would have a lifevest and am brought down without being dropped in deep water.

Can anyone tell me if that is correct or, I'm keeping my fingers crossed, incorrect? Also, maybe tell me if it was fun for you or too scary or what not. Thank you!

Hi luckyprincess,

I have never been parasailing before either but have booked a trip with Sebago for our stop in Key West in April 2008. I am sure you are going before me so I can't give you much insight on if it is fun or scary. I can say that with Sebago they do a dry take off and dry landing, this means that at no time are you in the water (they did say they would dunk you in the water, up to your knees during the sailing, only if the customer asks this). My DH and I will be going tandem so I think by having another person up there will make it a little easier. I have also been informed that your time up in the air is usually only about 10 minutes so you don't have to worry if you are scared a bit because before you know it, it will be over.

I hope this helps and post back after your trip.

Thanks, cruisefreak13

I've only been parasailing once in my life and it was a unique experience I highly recommend. I am not a good swimmer and did NOT want to get wet, but the company I booked (in Maui) said you would not get wet and they were true to their word. I think most companies give you the choice if you want to hit the water or not, so I would just be sure to make your wishes known. As for what it is like up there is hard to describe. I'm glad my husband and I went up together. It was so peaceful and calm up there that I think I would have been lonely if I didn't have anyone to share it with or talk to! I'm not really an adventurous person by nature, but this wasn't the least bit scary to me at all. The scariest part was reading the liability form they make you sign before going up, now that did give me a second for concern! But I know they are just protecting their butts. It was not at all scary up there and there is nothing like an aerial view. I look forward to doing it again, and since we are going to be in Key West in October, we just might do it there. Oh yeah, if you are doing it through the cruise line, I am sure they will have you with a reputable and safe company, so I'd say relax and enjoy yourself! I bet you will love it! Brenda

I have been parasailing in Key West but not through the cruise ship. We did not want to get wet either and we didn't. If you want to get wet though, they will bring you down and dip you in the water (the couple that was with us on the boat did that). Otherwise they get you all ready to go and secure and they just start letting the line out and you go up and up! It is awesome!!! Then they just real you back in, right back onto the boat. We are going back in November and will probably be doing it again. We brought a disposable camera up with us too and we have some great shots.

Have fun! You will like it alot!!

I parasailed in Kona (800 ft up)....it is the most peaceful place on earth (or above earth, I guess :D ). They did let me free fall to the ocean (only dunked me to my knees since I was dressed in shorts for town) and then gunned the boat and took me back up to the 800 feet. Others came dressed to GET dunked and they did....up to their necks.

I have been twice and getting ready to go again next week in Key West. Each time we wore a lifejacket. The first time was in Bahamas and we did not get asked if we wanted to get wet and we did not get wet at all. The second time was in Oahu and they asked us if we wanted to get wet, we said yes, and they completely dunked us underwater over our heads coming back in. My husband was surprised because he had left his sunglasses on at the time thinking getting wet meant just legs. The sunglasses were obviously lost forever - haha! It was really fun both times. It was beautiful to be able to see everything from up there. I thought I would be scared but I wasn't. They will honor your request to stay dry and if you do decide you want to get wet you might want to ask their definition of wet - LOL.

whats a good company? Thanks

I haven't parasailed in Key West before, just Bahamas and Hawaii, so I don't have an answer based on my own experience. We are going with Sebago Watersports in Key West next week. We chose them because of other positive comments about them on these message boards.

Well, luckyprincess, not only do I not go in the water or swim, I am also afraid of heights.

However, I parasailed in Mazatlan and it was a terrific experience - one I will never forget. It was not scary at all. It was like floating in the air only with a good harness. I was not the least bit afraid and loved it so much, I didn't want it to end.

I highly recommend you try it at least once.

You will be like a human kite. You will be harnessed in and hooked up to a parachute. You will be raised into the air for your ride. Try to bring a camera and strap it around your neck or onto your wrist and take pictures from above.

It is an awesome experience.

:) just did this for the first time! I recommend Fury in Key West. They did a great job! They also take pictures for you and you can buy the dvd as you leave the boat! We did get dipped in the water, only about ankle deep and not scary at all. ( p.s. I am a non swimmer):rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

my kids were around 12 and 14 the first time. I honestly think 6 yrs old is too young. Unless the operators will go up just a little in the sky for them..because it is a long boat ride out to the middle, then a bit scary to get off the boat as they let you go, and the height is very very high..so i would be a bit concerned about the fear and safetly of such a young child. I am not sure they even let someone that age go. My kids liked it, but never loved it...haha

Archived