Summit warnings!

snowmc

Just returned from the Summit southbound.

Be sure to triple check your final bill when you get home. We found (for the second year in a row) and extra $30 charge. After many phone calls, the charge has been removed. Makes you wonder how many thousands of dollars they are stealing!

Also, if you use their bus transportation to the airport after disembarking, and they say they will transfer your bags for you, be sure to confirm they are on your bus. They left 7 of our 10 bags on the pier in Vancouver. (Family of 6 traveling.) We have been home for 5 days and the bags are still not here. :mad: The employees we have spoken with to resolve this issue have been rude and indifferent. We were told we would get them when they could get around to it!!!!! :mad: Their first priority was the passengers boarding - not us. Unless they make MAJOR amends, we were NEVER travel with Celebrity again.

You might want to post this on the Celebrity board as well - more exposure.

Be sure to triple check your final bill when you get home. We found (for the second year in a row) and extra $30 charge. After many phone calls, the charge has been removed. Makes you wonder how many thousands of dollars they are stealing!

Did you review your bill with them before you left the ship? Was the total charge (including the $30 more) different than the final bill you received on the ship?

Also, if you use their bus transportation to the airport after disembarking, and they say they will transfer your bags for you, be sure to confirm they are on your bus. They left 7 of our 10 bags on the pier in Vancouver. (Family of 6 traveling.) We have been home for 5 days and the bags are still not here. :mad: The employees we have spoken with to resolve this issue have been rude and indifferent. We were told we would get them when they could get around to it!!!!! :mad: Their first priority was the passengers boarding - not us. Unless they make MAJOR amends, we were NEVER travel with Celebrity again.

Fortunately I am planning my own arrival to and departure from the ship so all I need to worry about is me losing my own bags! But thanks for the warning. This is also one reason I would NEVER suggest using US Direct when arriving at the Vancouver airport then transferring to the cruise ship. You would not know if your luggage arrived until your ship is ready to depart!

Hi snowmc,

Sorry to hear about your experience. The overcharge is all too common on many cruise lines. You would think that there would be an equal number of under charges if this was just an accident. I too have been overcharged, but never under charged!

If you had cruise insurance, many policies cover missing baggage, especially to cover things that you may need when you returned home. Might be worth checking into, if you had insurance. Celebrity is very good at the before cruise customer service and the service while onboard is great. When there is a problem, Celebrity customer service seems to be concerned with the next cruise and future cruise sales. I have experienced similar problems with Celebrity and the last priority is a customer who reports a problem after their cruise.

On the bright side you are very lucky to not have encountered any propulsion problems as the Celebrity Summit is now approaching a record for the longest time between pod problems which is about 15 months.

I agree with ft1, that posting your experience on the Celebrity board would give more people a warning about this possible problem.

Hope your luggage turns up soon.

If you had cruise insurance, many policies cover missing baggage, especially to cover things that you may need when you returned home. Might be worth checking into, if you had insurance.

Unfortunately most insurances don't cover delayed luggage when you are returning home, since they figure you have other clothes, etc. at home that you can use. But definitely check your policy if you have one.

Hi snowmc,

Sorry to hear about your experience. The overcharge is all too common on many cruise lines. You would think that there would be an equal number of under charges if this was just an accident. I too have been overcharged, but never under charged!

HMMMM -- are you extremely diligent in checking for undercharges? Do you keep every voucher and check closely to be sure it has indeed been added to your account? I would suggest that the average guy is more likely to notice an overcharge and mention it than to notice an undercharge ... ???

>:-)

Waaay too many people ASSUME the cruise line KNOWS what bags go on the cruise buses. They just walk away, figuring the cruise line will load their bags.

Have seen it in Vancouver twice, 2-3 time in NYC and recently in Valparaiso, Chile. Lady walked her bags through customs, left the bags CLOSE to an X rep, and walked out the door to the bus. She had NO interaction with the X rep, just left the bags. I was standing within 5 feet when she left the bags-made the comment to her companion- "x will get the bags". Often wondered what happened to the luggage.

The cruise line has neither the time nor the personnel to follow up on all bags. Bags should be taken TO THE BUS, not left outside customs or some other place.

Sorry your luggage is lost, but where did you leave it????

"transfer the luggage" does NOT mean LOOKING for your luggage-it means getting it on and off the bus at the proper airline terminal.

Baggage was left in the hallway outside our stateroom the final night, as we were instructed to do. We also had one heck of a time getting the proper number of luggage tags. We never collected our baggage after disembarking - it was supposed to be transferred DIRECTLY to the bus. We never even had a chance to recover it ourselves. So, it was not our fault that the bags were left behind. The bags are currently in customs in Oakland (why there?) and have been told they should be delivered tomorrow - almost one week after we left the ship.

As to the overcharge, yes, we check all receipts to make sure they have been properly applied. Makes me wonder how much money the cruise lines are taking in that they shouldn't be. That is stealing in anybody's book! And this is the second year in a row that we have been charged AFTER leaving the vessel for items we did not purchase. We checked our "final" bill before disembarking.

Alaska was beautiful...I wish this had not happened at the end...kind of ruined our trip.

Unfortantely - mischarges happen on most cruise lines.

Disembarking in Vancouver. Everytime I have disembarked there, I have never picked out my luggage at the pier. It has either been sent directly to the airline (using US Direct) or I have had to locate it at the airport (not on the same bus as I). Thankfully I have not had problems but I see the potential for them. I just don't know away around it unless you take a cab.

Glad they located your luggage.

Baggage was left in the hallway outside our stateroom the final night, as we were instructed to do. We also had one heck of a time getting the proper number of luggage tags. We never collected our baggage after disembarking - it was supposed to be transferred DIRECTLY to the bus. We never even had a chance to recover it ourselves. So, it was not our fault that the bags were left behind. The bags are currently in customs in Oakland (why there?) and have been told they should be delivered tomorrow - almost one week after we left the ship.

As to the overcharge, yes, we check all receipts to make sure they have been properly applied. Makes me wonder how much money the cruise lines are taking in that they shouldn't be. That is stealing in anybody's book! And this is the second year in a row that we have been charged AFTER leaving the vessel for items we did not purchase. We checked our "final" bill before disembarking.

Alaska was beautiful...I wish this had not happened at the end...kind of ruined our trip.

Sorry about that-why didn't you post that you used US Direct? You would have had no control over your luggage. Sorry.

Lots of charges AFTER the final bill are for the mini bar and movies. Also sometimes extra minutes on the internet, over the package you purchased.

We didn't use USDirect, we used the bus transfer arranged for through Celebrity. And the extra charge was for minibar items. Oldly enough, we had the mini-bar locked in both rooms as we had minors with us...funny how items disappear from a locked minibar. :confused:

We didn't use USDirect, we used the bus transfer arranged for through Celebrity. And the extra charge was for minibar items. Oldly enough, we had the mini-bar locked in both rooms as we had minors with us...funny how items disappear from a locked minibar. :confused:

I'm missing something. Even if X loaded your luggage DIRECTLY on a bus from the ship, didn't you have to check it in at the airport??? When did you find out the luggage was missing?

As for the mini bar-why not just have the room steward REMOVE everything from the mini bar on embarkation? Would solve lots of problems AND leave you an empty 'fridge for water, soda, etc. We always do for the every reason you posted. The room stewards could very easily make a mistake counting all the stuff-they have a VERY short time to clean and refurbish rooms before the next group of passengers. No one was stealing-merely a mistake.

I noticed you posted the exact thread on the X board. Most of the replies suggested you had at least SOME responsibility for your luggage.

Archived