Which is best - Playa Mia or Playa Sol?

swammie511

Hi - Our family (2 adults, 2 kids - 5 and 8) are planning on spending our time in Cozumel on the beach. Two of the beach excursions offered by Carnival are for Playa Mia and Playa Sol. Which is better? Also, are there other beach resorts you would recommend over these two options? Thanks

If you want to purchase something via your cruise ship, and it's important to have X number of drinks/food as a prepaid package, Playa Mia is probably good. If you're not planning to spend the entire day drinking, you should consider Nachi Cocom. Instead of a cover charge, they will most likely ask for 100 pesos per person which can used for drinks or food. It's not nearly as crowded and is much more laid back than Playa Mia.

If a swimming pool is not a must, then I must recommend Palancar which is at the southern tip of the island. Beautiful beach, few tourists, excellent but inexpensive food and drinks, with a true local flavor. Stake out your very own big palapa which comes complete with a "dining area" (table and chairs) and "bedroom"

(hammocks).

Same beach different name. Got so bad a reputation as Playa Sol had to change to Playa Mia still the biggest rip-off beach on the island. Paradise, San Francisco, Mr. Sancho's, Nachi cocom all better food and service and prices .

Why do you think Playa Del Sol/Mia is a ripoff? Just curious... I was trying to decide between Playa Sol and Nachi-Cocom... choose to go to Nachi-Cocom.

Lisa

I have heard good and bad about Playa Mia and the reputation was not the reason for the name change. After 4 or 5 visits to Cozumel we are doing Playa Mia this time. We have our reasons for making this choice as others have reasons for picking other beaches or excursions. We wanted an all-inclusive this time so we know up front our expense, we've been to other beaches in Coz and wanted to try this one and it has toys and extras for our child. This beach is a cruise line excursion so it is going to be busier than other beaches but the shopping areas are also busy with other cruise passengers and that isn't going to stop us from shopping for our great deals in Coz.

I've read more bad press on the boards for Playa Mia than any other beach. I've heard it's very commercialized and considered "party central of cozumel". I guess if you're looking for something quiet and relaxing, Playa Mia may not be the way to go.

I understand you want inclusive and there is another beach that has an inclusive package which is Nachi Cocom. I received info from the manager last week on their packages:

Our actual price in "Beach Party" is 32 USD

Open Bar in domestic Drinks until 5PM

Water Sports activities non motorized per 1 hour

Tips and Taxes are included

Or, if you prefer "All Inclusive Pass" 43 USD

Beach Party plus Buffet (1:30 to 3:30)

Restaurant

Swimming Pool

Jacuzzi

Fishing trips

Banana

Parasailing