Best way to get from Cruise Dock to San Diego Zoo

abbyndrewmom

Not sure what you mean by "best" but it is certainly the fastest. A cab will take about 10 minutes if they go up Laurel (tell the cab to go this way) and across the Prado bridge, and should run you about $20. Generally it is easy to get a cab at both the cruise ship terminal and at the Zoo for your return.

You can also take a city bus if you want to save money, but it will take more like 30-40 minutes and you are likely to have to change buses at least once. You can get bus transporation schedules here:

http://www.sdcommute.com/

• 2 weeks later...

On our first trip to San Diego in '04 on the Monarch when we got off the ship there were many taxi's/cars waiting. It was very easy to just ask them to take you to the zoo, our driver gave us his card and when we were done we called him and he was there to pick us up within 10 minutes. We had him drop us off a bit from the ship so we could walk the waterfront, which was very nice.

Hi

Just a thought but why don't you book the tour on the ship. It may be cheaper and easier. Last year, when I looked at booking this tour, I figure that if you add the admission and the cost of taxis, it made more sense to go through the ship.

Make sure you rent a golf cart on Catalina Island.

Monarch is a great ship. Was on it last summer and enjoyed it.

Jennifer

Jennifer: What is there to see with a golf cart on Catalina Island? This will be our first trip there this November. Were considering a ship tour just for background info but tell about the golf cart, please!

I am butting in.....the golf cart tour is a great way to see the island. It was $30 for an hour (or two??) and you put $60 (cash) down which they refund a portion of depending of exactly when you get back. It's been a couple years so the price could be different. You head out and go around and up on the island for some spectacular views and some great photo ops of not only the ship but flora and fauna too. There is plenty of time to do that, return the cart and then walk through town to shop or whatever you want.

Hi

Thanks Mom for butting in. I am trying to get packed and ready for my next cruise.

I think I paid for 2 hrs which was about $60. If I got back in an hour, then I get the $30 back. I don't recall if there was a deposit. I just remember giving them $60.

I went to a golf cart rental on a corner. You will tender into this port. When you get off the tender, walk past the first golf cart stand rental. Go to the 2nd one on the corner. It is less than a 2 minute walk. I took the cart all around the island. They give you a map with several roads to follow up the hill and all around. Lots of fun. Plus it takes you a little out of town and away from crowds. Afterwards, I went to a restaurant for fish and chips and shopping.

Jennifer

Archived